Chapter 126

The next morning was as waterlogged as the night before. Sidney had looked out his bedroom window in Sanditon House for a long time as he was preparing for the late breakfast hour on account of the late ball the previous evening.

He had hardly slept which he could see in his red bloodshot eyes. At breakfast, he noted Charlotte had hers sent to her room and was not planning on joining the small group.

Esther still did not mention the elephant in the room or the body in the house, and Lady Susan just delicately sipped on her coffee as she blew on it to disperse the heat.

"I have a letter from my cousin." Lady Susan said suddenly pulling their attention.

"Oh?" Esther said buttering her bread and slapping some jam on it irritatedly. "Has the marriage already become a disaster?"

Sidney could not help his own reaction to the news of the man who had in a sense stollen his fiance. Not that he was entirely upset about it but now in light of Lady Denham dying it was very ill-timed.

"The letter was to announce their nuptials. They have taken to Brighton straight after," she said. "He implied that they would be coming through here next week."

"They will not be hosted here," Esther said with finality. "Not after all the suffering poor Charlotte endured by both of their behavior, or the scandal they courted under my aunt's roof."

Lady Susan nodded. "I quite agree, but it was implied that the Prince Regent will likely be coming with them. It seems he is eager for more of the delights of Sanditon."

Esther put her cup down tensely. "Now?" She rolled her eyes. "Of all times, now? We will be in mourning."

Lady Susan shrugged. "The royal person goes where he likes when he likes." she picked her cup back up and frowned. "And honestly, you cannot refuse a visit from such a man no matter the state of things."

Sidney nodded. "We are favored by his interest and will be happy to welcome him to Sanditon when he comes. Perhaps I can speak to Charlotte about an event we can try to plan."

Esther shook her head. "No more events right now. We have no idea where the money will be coming from."

Lord Babington nodded. "Quite right, but my dear we can host it ourselves in Denham Place."

Esther scoffed and then laughed. "You want to host a man that will be king in a ruin like Denham Place?" she asked him.

He shrugged. "We can take one of the apartments in Waterloo Terrace. A number of them will be available at that time. I believe we can also use one of the larger dining rooms available for entertainment."

She looked at him. "Take apartments?"

He nodded. "Well yes, our habitation of Sanditon House may not be appropriate under these circumstances. The new owner will be taking over."
She looked at him angrily. Her temper seemed to be on edge that morning. "I am not leaving this place until the will is read aloud and ratified."

Lady Susan smiled and her eyes flashed about the room. "Shhh. The servants will hear." she cautioned.

Esther nodded. "We should make the announcement tomorrow. With the weather like this the solicitor will not arrive quickly I think."

Sidney heard a knock and watched as a butler went to answer and from his view noticed that he waved off someone as if they were a nuisance.

"Get gone with you boy, I don't know what you have been promised but I have no notion of what you are talking about." the servant said loud enough to hear.

"It must be that young boy you had with you yesterday," Esther said concerned.

Sidney nodded and threw down his napkin. "Pray, excuse me," he said striding from the room.

"Ah, Young Mabbin, right on time." He said entering the Foyer. "It is alright," Sidney looked to the aged servant. "I sent for him to come."

The man looked at the two skeptically and then turned from them.

Mabbin looked hurt and angry. "You said to come."

Sidney nodded. "Right you are, I did. My apologies. I am afraid I did not give the servants a warning about this arrangement. Which will be remedied now."

Mabbin glared at the butlers back. "Thinks he is better than me," he said hurt. "Just cause I am an orphan."

Sidney sighed and his shoulders dropped. "To be honest he thinks he is better than everyone is my guess." he smiled. "Besides, of course, Lady Denham."

Mabbin looked up brightly. "Will I meet her today?" he asked. "Mr. Parker said she was a frightening old woman and-"

Sidney held up his hand to stop him. "You will not be meeting her, but come with me. I will show you the stables before I go into Sanditon. I have a lot of business to do today. But first. Let us find you some dry clothes. These can hang out and you will have a second set to wear if you get them soaked again today while you work."

He looked up the stairs and longed to see Charlotte. The conversation he wished hung over his head like an ax and he both dreaded it and wished to hasten its execution.

Would she even want him? She had tried to tell him to not feel obligated. Had her feelings changed?

He could still feel her lips upon his in memory of the night before, but was it just comfort she sought?

Had she fallen in love with another?

His throat tightened at the thought and he tried to shake it from his mind as he escorted Mabbin down to the kitchens for a little snack and clean clothes.