Chapter 116

Sidney sat in the study of the London house having sent Charlotte on ahead to try to make it in time to help prepare for the ball and he did not want to tempt gossip by arriving with her, alone in a carriage. That would send their reputations clear over the edge. For now, it just looked like Charlotte accompanied her friend on an elopement. One that he in the end endorsed and they respectably came back to London together. Nothing could be more proper.

His own reputation be damned but he had a promise he made to Lady Denham not to compromise Charlotte any more than necessary.

"Sir a letter." his footman brought the paper on a plate and he was shocked to read Eliza's script. It looked too new to have passed too many hands, and it still smelled of her. She was in London.

Opening the letter his eyes locked on the message staring at him.

Closing the paper for a moment he breathed and then looked again hardly believing what he was reading.

His fiance was married, to Captain Warrick.

Just like that, he was free, but what did that mean? She had been Married to Warrick the day before by a special license.

She said nothing about pulling her investment but it was implied her anger at the ill-treatment she had received while engaged and he imagined she would be vindictive. But would Captain Warrick agree?

If they were wed he had all the power.

The letter was short, and did not expose of love, or sadness, just anger, and disdain. She even wished to never see him again but he highly doubted that would happen.

Taking to his coat and top hat he went to his new horse who he still had yet to name. For the moment he called him Sir for it was a horse that commanded respect.

Racing to her London house he found that the new Mr. and Mrs. Warrick had left just earlier and were not expected back for a time.

Sidney could tell the servants were just as confused by this turn of events for they had last understood him to be the prospective groom.

Mounting his horse and without answers, he decided not to chase Eliza down. He had time to figure out all that. For now, he needed to focus on Sanditon and making it as much of a success as possible.

Surely with her breaking the engagement again, he had leverage in the courts. Perhaps he could turn the tides. He would speak to a lawyer if it came to that.

Suddenly as he was walking to his horse he smiled and then laughed. The full realization that he was free of his engagement suddenly overwhelmed him.

His laughter died on his lips as the sobering reality of a debt now greater than that of Tom's loomed over the entire Parker family now. He was not free of the shackle of Sanditon. He wished to do nothing more than race to Sanditon and ask for Charlotte's hand but he knew until things were settled he had to wait on that desire.

Mounting his horse he clicked his teeth and kicked at his flanks sending the speeding stallion through the streets of London to Sanditon. He needed to see how Lady Denham saw this new development and if she was satisfied with the prospects to allow them time to repay all expected returns.

With how she had spoken to him and Charlotte just weeks before he imagined she had an entirely different attitude with Charlotte and himself managing things.

Hope blossomed in his chest as he raced to find a worthy solution to his heart's deepest desire.

It was in no time that he clopped through the main street of Guilford town and found himself in front of the stables that he left Lady Denham's mare at to recuperate.

"Mr. Parker!" came a small voice from inside the shaded stable. "Did you find your lady?" he asked hopefully.

Sidney smiled sentimentally. "Yes, I did."

"And you married her?" The boy asked coming out of the shadows.

Sidney's smiled died on his face when he noted the grotesque shiner on his face. "Young Mabbin Gimlic, how have you come by such an injury?" he asked in shock.

Mabbin frowned and turned away from him to rake more of the stables. "Your mare is well now. She is ready to come home with you. I think she misses her old stables." the young boy said changing the subject not wishing to talk of the beating he had received.

Sidney dismounted and tied his black horse to a post. "Mabbin, tell me what happened."

The boy shook his head. "It's nothing. All masters and bosses do it from time to time."

Sidney shook his head. "Masters of slaves do," he winced. "and even that isn't right."

Mabbin shrugged and went back to his work. "Your horse is over there, you already paid. Best be on your way before I get into trouble again."

Looking to the horse who nickered Sidney brooded in thought for a long moment and he looked back to the horse he had nicknamed 'Sir'.

"Young Mabbin," Sidney said looking to the watch on his chain he cleared his throat. "I will need a rider for this mare to get her back to Lady Denham. It is a task of importance and I would be obliged if you would accompany me back to Sanditon."

Sidney noted the hesitation of the boy and he stopped at his work and looked up. "Then what?" he asked.

Sidney smiled and nodded. "I suppose I could find you work and lodgings there. Sanditon is a growing metropolis by the sea and work is needed. I am sure you could take your pick at the work you would like to do. A capable lad like you could do most anything I'd wager." he said kindly.

Mabbin looked up. "I like to work with animals."

Sidney smiled. "I think I may know just the place for you. But I will need to get permission first." he chuckled. "But I can promise you that I will find you something better than a shiner at the end of the day."

Mabbin smiled and threw down the pitchfork. "Will I earn a real wage and not just food and lodgings?" he asked.

Sidney frowned. "Where are your lodgings now?" he asked.

The boy shrugged. "I sleep out here. Better company," he said.

Sidney gave him some coin. "I will purchase a simple saddle from Mr. Parnaken. Be a good lad and arrange for this while I procure you some food for the afternoon."

The boy nodded. "But best not tell him. He will want you to buy me."

Sidney frowned. "Buy you?"

The boy nodded. "Yes, he will need to find someone to replace me."

Sidney clenched his jaw. The poor and orphaned of England had similar prospects to the slaves in Antigua. He was not in the business of buying and selling people any longer.

"Be it as you wish, just be quick about it. I don't want to be accused of stealing the saddle," he said pulling out a smoke and turning back out of the large doorway.

For that night the boy would stay with his brother at Trafalgar House. Mary would make sure the boy got washed up and a good meal with a warm bed. Perhaps tend to injuries.

Perhaps luck smiled on young Mabbin when the mare had stepped wrong, or perhaps it had been the kidnapping of Charlotte that had been the driving force of the boys better fortunes. Or it had been his good advice and intentions when Sidney was in great need.

Either way, their fortunes had been entwined. Perhaps young Mabbin would bring good fortune to both himself and others again. Sidney could see promise in the lads' eyes. He had seen it before in the eyes of slaves in Antigua, but then he could not change their fortunes. Not like now.