Chapter 12

Charlotte's new shoes pinched and Lady Susan told her the only thing for that was to go for a small walk in Hyde Park. For the most part, Charlotte had not left Pressham House enjoying the opportunities that small dinner parties allowed. Charlotte was glad for it since it offered her the security of not running into Mr. Parker or Mrs. Campion.

She had already felt out of place among the throng of fancy people and powerful gentlemen and ladies.

But in the few weeks that she had been here she could sense its charms and dramas and just like Sanditon it was stimulating. In some ways, she felt it was about to become overly so.

Fancy Barouche carriages passed by with their tops down so ladies and gentlemen could be seen and wave to people they knew.

Looking across a green space she noticed a familiar form and her heart leaped up into her throat. "Lady Susan...He is here." she turned scared he would see her.

Susan looked over her shoulder and saw Mr. Sidney Parker talking with Lord and Lady Babington and Mrs. Eliza on his arm.

"Now don't panic," she whispered. "Just pop your parasol out and simply block him from view, he should have no idea of you being in London." she pulled out hers and modeled the action. "There, you should pass his notice altogether." she smiled. "We don't want them to see you yet anyway."

Charlotte stopped. "I have made it no secret that I am here. Why... Mary could have written to him shortly after I left." she bit her lip nervously.

"Indeed I should have told her not to tell him."

Lady Susan touched her gloved hand. "Hush my dove. I don't care a whit if they know you are here. He just cannot see you yet." she looked over. "I have a few gatherings I want to bring you to before we have a chance encounter with your Mr. Parker, I need to go speak with them and say hello. Please just wait here with Tilly and Bell." who walked behind them.

Sidney tried to smile at the wonderful news of Lord and Lady Babington but he could not describe the tightness he felt in his throat.

"I can't imagine how awful it must be." Mrs. Campion said superiorly. "Your clothes won't fit soon." The words stung in the place of expected congratulations.

Aghast at the words falling from Eliza's mouth Sidney looked away for if he looked at her he might unleash his mind upon the superficial woman and ruin his entire family along with it.

Lord Babington frowned. "Just wait until it is you," he said to Sidney and he winced thinking of Charlotte. Suddenly remembering his drunken confession weeks before.

Sidney's voice was choked up with emotion. "That is just wonderful news," he said trying to smile genuinely but in truth, he wanted to break something. He was jealous that his friend had found love and a family where he had also found love but had to give her up over someone else's failure and family.

"Lady Worcester," Esther said nodding her head welcomingly at the approaching newcomer. The woman was striking, rich and extremely powerful among the Beau Monde so it was easy to show true delight upon the encounter. But it was made increasingly so by the last words out of Mrs. Campion's mouth because Esther was not sure when her own anger would boil over with her unstable hormones.

Lord Babington bowed and Sidney lifted his hat. Eliza however just looked at her as if she had not forgotten the look Lady Susan had dealt her during the Regatta party.

"Afternoon. I was glad to see a warm group of familiar faces." Lady Susan said smiling to them all. "Lady Babington, you look radiant, what could be the secret? An Italian cream perhaps?"