Chapter 60

Charlotte checked on all the rooms to be sure they were up to par with Lady Denham's demands who barked orders from her bed like it was a throne.

"Do not place Mrs. Campion's bed-chamber too close to Mr. Sidney Parker. I don't want whispers of what lovers get up too at night under my roof. I am not creating a den of iniquity here." she muttered as Charlotte tried to occupy herself with receipts of purchase for this or that and filed them in accordance with the amount. "Balls, such frivolities. I wish it over at once," she said with irritation.

Charlotte listened to her suggestion but Esther had already managed the sleeping arrangements and Mrs. Campion was placed in a suitable room well enough away from her intended.

To her surprise, Lady Denham even insisted Lady Worcester be invited to stay at Sanditon House with the main house guests. Her assigned room was directly across from hers but she would not be expected for another two days.

"Why not include an invitation for Miss Lambe to stay at the house? I know there have been other arrangements but-" she asked hopeful for the close company of another close friend.

Lady Denham glared a moment. "For that girl, no..." she shook her head. "I have not yet forgiven her for the pineapple luncheon." she snapped.

Charlotte shook her head as she wrote down further instructions.

"Carriage approaches Ma'am." the footman said entering pulling both of their attention up from their conversation.

"I suppose the guests are starting to arrive." Lady Denham said tiredly. "Charlotte, go see to them and make my excuses. My head pounds an awful knell." She said.

Charlotte looked at her pityingly. "Would you like anything for it Lady Denham?" she asked.

The woman waved her off.

"Come, Lady Denham, please let me give you something?" Charlotte said rubbing the woman's back.

"You have been such a comfort to me, Miss Heywood," she whispered and reached for her hand.

Charlotte squeezed the woman's hand and watched her relax. "I will return shortly to give you a report of who has come," she whispered.

The woman moaned as Charlotte went to her shawl and draped it over her shoulders and left to greet the first guests.

Outside the wind whipped at her dress and her hair was loose about her head since it was only loosely pinned. She could not see who was coming but she hoped it was Lord and Lady Babington, but seeing as it was only a single coach she felt her heart drop thinking it might be Sidney.

——
Sidney saw Charlotte from a distance and his heart hammered wildly in his chest. They had only just settled Georgiana in her apartments and had then set on to Sanditon House.

She stood at the center with four other servants. Her dark blue dress looked different from the light colors he was used to seeing her in.

"She quite looks grand enough to be the lady of the house." Mrs. Campion observed with a furrowed brow. 'For a social climber she has transformed rather rapidly, do you not think?"

He looked at her. "Think whatever you want of her, but a social climber she is not. She rises above all that, which is why she has no need to climb she is well above everyone else already."

Mrs. Campion closed her mouth and glared out the window, but managed to put her face to rights once within view of others.

Sidney caught Charlotte's eye and he gave her a slight but careful smile. Exiting he caught her gaze and held it.