Chapter 146

Sidney could hardly contain himself as he entered The crown hotel with Mr. Molyneux. Babington sat with a familiar-looking fellow and he stopped a moment as the man turned and he laughed.

"Couldn't stay away could you?" he said with a devilish smile as he greeted his dear friend Mr. Crowe. "and where is your treacherous fiance. I do believe there is some unfinished business?"

Crowe shrugged. "Miss Brereton?" he laughed. "Nah, I was drunk," he said saluting. "I often am. She is languishing with some other meal ticket I would wager bad money on."

Sidney laughed. "This is my friend, Mr. Molyneux. Newly married to my former ward Georgiana." and sat down.

His friends smiled at him in welcome as they all made room at the table.

"You look to be in a fine mood." Mr. Crowe observed.

Smiling to himself he nodded. "I am my friend," he said taking the offered drink. "I am free from a most disagreeable engagement and-"

"And is still facing financial ruin." Sir Edward Denham said coming near. "Lest you have forgotten."

Sidney drank the shot down and nodded. "I have not forgotten."

Edward frowned confused that Sidney who had a strained look all week now seemed relaxed and not wound tightly as he had been early that afternoon."

Looking back at him Sidney sneered. "Only now I am not facing ruin, and you are still expecting a large inheritance."

Edward glared. "I am. The barn burnt down which you will pay for." he said menacing in his tone. "and I know now what was hidden in it. I would never have guessed it if not for the fire. It was clearly written all over my dear sister's face. The will is gone and the other copy? The one a supposed solicitor has?" he chuckled. "Well, where is this man? I don't see one," he said smugly and he leaned forward menacingly. "Sanditon House is mine by law and birthright. My aunt's fortune will also be mine as will your family's debt."

Sidney scoffed and poured himself another. "We will see about that." he looked to Mr. Molyneux and smiled. "As to my financial situation, it is not as dire as you think it is. Though yours is." he glanced and smiled satisfied. "You need Lady Denham's money, the estate, and the investment because you are in deeper than my brother was aren't you?"

Lord Babington looked at Sir Edward and sniffed. "London Bailiffs don't know you are here do they?"

Edward backed up thrown by the relaxed state of Sidney, and the allegations of the fool Babington had him silenced for a moment.

"What do you mean? how could you-" he shook his head. "You think that old bitch left it all to the Parkers again don't you?"

Lord Babington frowned shook his head. "Careful Sir Denham, you damn yourself. The destruction of a will is illegal."

Sir Edward shrugged. "Can't be proven." he rambled.

Mr. Crowe laughed. "It can. There was a witness and all I would need to do is wave money under her nose and she would sing like a pretty canary."

"You refer to Clara Brereton?" Edward asked seriously.

Crowe turned his neck and looked up. "Who else?" he scoffed. "She is doing better than you I dare say," he noted his rumpled appearance of a man without a manservant. Buttons were askew.

Edward frowned and stiffened.

"Now, go... You are putting a pall on my evening with friends." Crowe said dismissively not caring for the elevated title the man held.

Lord Babington glared. "He has put a pall on an entire day. A blackened mark on the grounds of Sanditon House more visible than the mark on the drawing-room floor."

Sidney shook his head. "You have thrown obstacles in my way far longer than you realize Sir Denham." He said reflecting on the derailment of his proposal to Charlotte at the midsummer ball. "No more." he stood. "I was of a mood to drink with you fine fellows, but I suppose I must stop in at Trafalgar's house and see how young Mabbin is doing."

Sir Edward stormed away and up the stairs.

"Don't let that fool run you off a good time." Mr. Crowe said now slurring just a little. "It has been weeks since we could catch up," he said seriously leaning forward as Sidney went back to sit. "Have you and Miss Heywood finally...?" his brows rose as Sidney's darkened.

Lord Babington smiled as he poured Mr. Molyneux and Sidney another glass while skipping over Crowe's.

"Is there a reason I have been forgotten?" Crowe asked with a confused furrowed brow.

They all laughed a little. "Allow us to catch up."

"Well if that is the problem I will be waiting a long time," he said pulling out his own flask and pouring himself a drink. "Now about Miss Heywood?"

Sidney smiled slightly at the mention of her.

"The knot untangles. Soon," he said trying to assure himself that it would be.

Mr. Molyneux put his cup down. "You said her father fetched her. Does he have objections like you had?"

Shaking his head he sighed as he leaned back and lit a smoke. "I haven't the slightest idea. She was taken because of lies and or half truth's from the fool, Sir Denham."

"You may need to steal her away," Otis said with a shrug.

Sidney's mouth pulled in a laugh. "A journey back to Scotland is not exactly high on my list of desired methods to marriage. No...a quiet ceremony here or in Willingden is what Charlotte would want and I do believe that is the way I would like it too."

Lord Babington smiled and clapped him on the back. "Then they will be reading the bands soon I expect."

Sidney shook his head. "I wish it could be sooner. But business keeps me here till it is all settled."

Mr. Molyneux shrugged. "Perhaps Mrs. Molyneux and I could go there and persuade her to return?"

Sidney looked at the man and found his heart leaped at the notion. Mary had also promised to write, but perhaps a friend who had come in the flesh would convince her family to allow her to return.

"The Prince Regent is expected to be here for a large event. I have hired a man to bring his floating contraption for exihibition of the shore and the marvel. Perhaps that could convince her father and the rest of them to come?" he said feeling the angst of the possibilities.

Otis smiled and nodded. "I shall put it to Georgiana in the morning. I am sure she will agree. She was looking forward to seeing her more than anyone." he said with a smile.

Sidney nodded and smiled as his friend Lord Babington put his hand on his shoulder and gripped it warmly while Crowe brooded. "Honestly, am I going to remain a confirmed bachelor for life?"

Babington turned and laughed. "Well if you looked at women of a different make then perhaps you would find yourself happily situated."

Crowe rolled his eyes. "Give me a jolly girl who likes a good time and I would be happy for life."

"You find a jolly girl who likes a good time regularly." Sidney leaned forward. "What happened with Clara?"

Crowe shrugged. "She found someone richer but promises less." Taking his flask back out he brooded. "I really thought she might be the one too, you know?"

Nodding Sidney poured them all a drink. "I know the feeling. Mrs. Campion pulled that trick on me twice, thank god! I am all the better for it." Sidney saluted. "To the women who jilted us."

"Hear, hear!" Crowe and Babington replied as they all laughed they slammed down their glasses.