Chapter 174

Diana was breathless as she ran in. "Where are my brothers, oh my goodness..." she waved at herself where Mary sat drinking her morning tea alone.

"Whatever is the matter?" she asked.

Diana gasped. "Oh I am so distressed Mary, Lamentable news!" she said. "Sir Denham has been found!" she fanned herself. "I found him myself!" she shrieked. "I was on a walk this time all alone because Arthur decided he wanted to do his walk elsewhere. He has been so vexed with me of late..."

Mary stood. "Diana, do sit down, you look like you have had such a fright," she said.

Diana cried. "I have!"

The constable came to the door and poked his head in. "Mrs. Parker, apologies. Your relation has had a shock. I have struggled to catch up with her. I think she could use a cup of tea."

Diana shook her head. "I could not stomach a drop!" she protested. "Not after what I have just seen."

"Sir Edward Denham has been found?" Mary asked coming back to the topic and not just the observation of Diana's hysterics.

The constable nodded. "Aye, he has at long last." he took his had off. "Twasn't a pretty sight I will grant ye' that Miss Parker," he said patting her hand tenderly.

Diana looked up at the middle-aged man and smiled with a sheen of tears in her eyes.

"I ran straight to the constable," she said breathlessly. "I didn't know what to do," she said helplessly.

He shook his head. "Nonsens, you acted in perfect sensibility Miss Parker. You could not have comported yourself better under the circumstances.

Mary noted how struck Diana was at the very moment she was in a terrible shock and accepting the physical comfort of the peacekeeper.

"Sir Denham is dead?" Mary asked diverting her attention to the shocking news and forgetting the romantic way the two were looking at each other.

They both nodded and looked back at her.

Sitting back in her chair she frowned. "Murder?"

The constable shook his head. "Not sure. He was found at the cliffs with a bottle of brandy. He could have just fallen and injured himself and simply died there on the cliffs, or it could have been faster." he stopped himself. "Oh, pardon me, ma'am. I should know better than to talk about such indelicate things," he said and looked uncomfortable with his loose tongue.

"I must make sure everything is in order. I just wanted to see that Miss Parker was brought safely to her place of residence," he said and nodded to the ladies. "Please have a good afternoon."

Mary sighed troubled. "Oh heavens... On a week such as this." she shook her head.
Diana nodded. "Yes, I mean, what if it was murder?" she speculated. "And the Prince Regent here." she fretted. "This will be all over London."

Diana watched as her husband entered. "Mary, Diana," he said his face looked a little strained. "Have you heard the news?"

Diana lifted her hands frustrated. "Heard the news? I found him!"

Tom shook his head. "There has been a body found on the cliff. You don't need to be a London inspector to assume it could be Sir Edward Denham."

Diana held a scarf to her face. "It was him!" she cried. "He was an unnatural color and all puffy..." she cried. "I saw some sea birds flying over something. I near fell myself trying to see what was down there."

Tom shook his head. "Not a pleasant find I dare say." He looked to his wife. "Well, that settles that mystery as to where that....person had disappeared to. I dare say I was a little worried he would turn up and perhaps cause trouble."