Chapter 57

Sidney sat in his study and his heart hammered in his throat as he grew to recognize the penmanship he was reading. It was a report from Lady Denham obviously written in Charlotte's hand and he pulled in to his face to see if it held any scent. It didn't and he frowned at it disappointed.

He read the letter more carefully now,

Mr. Sidney Parker,

I hope this report finds you and your Mrs. Campion well, I write to you with updates on the Waterloo Terrace.

The roof was complete of course before you took leave of Sanditon weeks past. The commission of the windows were completed by the ironsmiths before winter was upon us.

The stonework is in the midst of being washed and prepared for painting though I much prefer the stone. But no matter, the burnt face would be an ugly eyesore.

The interiors, Miss Heywood tells me are impeccably crafted. I have not seen it myself so my own opinion must remain unformed for the time.

By and by the project will be finished early by April, but where are the tenants? I have had a grander venture forced upon me and still the same problem as before.

As ever I must stress upon you the need for more visitors this spring to Sanditon. Last year was an utter disappointment up until the successful regatta.

We must put on a better show than last year.

Miss Heywood has convinced me that my personal opinions on the matter of modernization are not applicable. Though I disdain the very idea, I like money and I like it even better to see it grow.

At her suggestion this year at Sanditon house I want to throw a spring ball for Friday, March 15th. My health may prevent me from actually participating in the revelry planned.

Lady Babington will have birthed her child by then and can stand as a hostess in my place. Miss Heywood will be able to do all the tedious work since she has become quite invaluable to me in the last three weeks.

Please supply me with a suitable guest count that you believe should have interest in our society. Miss Heywood has a preliminary list that is robust, but I should like to invite more. We could also house many of them in the finished terrace apartments so that they may sample the delights before they buy.

Send word post-haste so that I may begin the preparations for a fireworks display to be observed after a large dinner. If you could inquire as to fair prices of such. I have never had the occasion to buy such frivolous entertainment and hope to never again.

Yours,
Lady Denham

Putting the letter in his pocket he decided to keep it. It wasn't a letter to him from Charlotte, but it was a letter to him written by her and maybe the closest thing he ever have to a letter from her.

"Ah Sidney," came the voice of his ward. "You wanted to speak to me?"

"Ah, Georgiana," he said patting the note absently in his pocket. "Yes, Mrs. Griffiths informs me that you keep slipping from her." he sighed.

Georgiana rolled her eyes. "I am used to more freedom. I loath just the sound of her voice. You can't have her stay my governess until I am twenty-one. Please." she huffed and crossed her arms.

"Now I understand you dislike her over ship of you but I must insist it is as always for your safety. What if someone grabbed you as they did in Sanditon. It was only because I had Charlotte with me that we found you."

Georgiana rolled her eyes. "I am more careful now."

Sidney shook his head and looked doubtful. "No you are not," he said looking at his books on the shelf and found his Heraclitus in a different position and he picked it up. The small book weighing comfortingly in his hand a moment before he put it back on his desk.

"You are not the judge on your safety," he said seriously.

His footman cleared his throat. "Mrs. Campion to see you, sir."

Sidney nodded. "Okay, show her into the parlor." Turning his attention back to Georgiana he put his hands gently on her shoulders. "I had another reason to call you here," he said.

She looked up into his face and frowned sternly on the edge of a glare.

"I am sending you back to Sanditon at the end of February," he said with a sigh. "I will be spending most of my time there between visits here and there to London to talk up the events we will be hosting."

Georgiana looked about ready to scream but he was pleased to see she remained quiet. "I do not wish to leave London again," she said through gritted teeth.

Sidney smiled. "I thought you would be pleased to reunite with Charlotte," he whispered.

She shook her head. "For her company alone I would be glad for, but I have no desire to leave London. Please let me stay."

He shook his head. "I am afraid I cannot be a good guardian if I leave you behind all the time. You must be in Sanditon for the spring and summer. Until the wedding at least." he said his voice constricting.

"You are still going through with it?" she asked.

Sidney frowned. "I would be a ruined man if I didn't."

She sighed. "The English are silly." she rolled her eyes. "Please let me stay here as long as possible. Maybe March?" she offered hopefully.

He shook his head. "No, I see no reason for the delay," he said passing her. "If you will excuse me," he said remembering Mrs. Campion had come for him to escort her to a luncheon and he was customarily late in attending to her.

"Ah Sidney." she smiled. "I overheard your conversation with Georgiana.'

He sighed knowing that Charlotte had been mentioned a few times.

"I think it is a splendid idea to go early to Sanditon." she smiled. "Most of the best society are quitting London now anyway," she said with a smile.

He went to his hat and jacket. "You want to go to Sanditon?" he asked. "You never favored the place before."

She tugged nervously at her glove. "Well, now I think perhaps it might be changing. After all Captain Warrick will be there, and I heard he encouraged a few other gentlemen to follow a week ago."

Sidney took his cane and turned. "How did you hear all that?"

She blushed. "Lady Worcester told us that her cousin is having the most diverting time there and that Miss Heywood and Lady Denham have been very attentive." she smiled assuringly. "I think with such praise it warrants a second look."

He looked to her. "I thought you would stay in London and plan the wedding," he said in his own way trying to dissuade her from coming.

"I can easily plan it from Sanditon," she answered.

He cursed inside his head as he followed her out the door.