Chapter 144

Mabbin surveyed the wreckage of the stable and looked at it all upset and did not hear Sindey behind him.

"Terrible shame." Mr. Sidney Parker's voice was low.

Mabbin shook his head. "It was my fault," he whispered.

Sidney turned him about-face and shook his head. "I don't know what you mean. It was an accident. It can be rebuilt."

The boy wiped at his face with the soot-covered sleeve and smeared more back smudges across his face.

"I left the lantern burning," he said with self-loathing. He cringed half expecting Mr. Parker to hit him. "I was learning how to read," he whispered.

Sidney looked at him seriously and in earnest. "Mabbin, that is something to be commended, not regretted."

Mr. Tom Parker was headed their way.

"Sidney!" he said in his customary tone.

"This is not your fault." he shook his head not wishing to be distracted from the boy. "Now go walk with Mary back to Trafalgar house, you have more than earned your rest." he pointed him off in that direction where Mary stood off near the side of the grand house.

Mabbin shook his head. "The stable master knew I was burning the lantern and he told me I was wasting the light, and warned me it could catch fire, and I didn't listen. I should just go back to where you found me." he took off and ran past Tom and Mary who looked perplexed but not overly concerned on account of the varying events of the day.

Sidney went to stop Mabbin but Tom slowed him.

"Poor lad, he will likely just run on back to Trafalgar House." Tom dismissed the boy's distress. "What of the will?" he said pointedly trying to change the subject to a more pressing one than the trivial matters of a child.

Sidney looked to his brother and put his arm out and settled his hand on his shoulder and a satisfied smile pulled at the corner.

"You don't need to worry about the will or the debts," he told Tom and his bothers concerned eyes brightened and grew wide. But disbelief clouded the iris of his eyes.

"Who did the estate come to?" Tom asked excitedly.

Sidney shook his head. "It doesn't matter, we have a new investor that will take over all that is owed in Lady Denham's name."

Tom's smile grew wide. "What of your old fiance the newly ordained Mrs. Warrick and what of her investment?"

Sidney shook his head. "Captain Warrick does not intend to withdraw."

Tom blinked befuddled but ecstatic. "So we are really and truly saved?" he asked.

Sidney nodded. "Yes, I suppose we are."

"You did not have to engage yourself to another fortune did you?" Tom asked reserved for a moment and grabbed at his brother a little, concerned that he had fallen on the sword for him again. Mary would never forgive him.

Sidney shook his head.

Tom looked around. "Charlotte was not among the crowd at the funeral, I heard her father fetched her for reasons unknown."

Nodding the two brothers started to walk from the charred and smoldering mass of the stable to where Mary was watching after the boy running out of sight.

Sidney shook his head. "I know little of the event but it came as a surprise to us all and it seems we have the troublesome Edward Denham to thank for it. He knows what Charlotte means to me," he said seriously as they came to Mary.

Tom smiled at Mary brightly which clashed with their deep mourning clothes. Arthur and Diana gathered near.

"My dearest," he took Mary's hand. "Sidney tells me that the funds are secure. We don't need to worry about the will."

She looked confused and back to Sidney. "What?"

Diana exclaimed loudly. "Oh that is wonderful," she said amidst smoke still wafting from the wreckage in their direction and she coughed waving the offending air away.

"Capitol outcome. Who is the new investor?" Arthur asked brightly.

Sidney smiled and nodded. "Mr. and Mrs. Molyneux."

Arthur laughed. "Your joshing, what a lark. Though... I did see Georgiana inside." Arthur looked down confused.

Tom looked at Sidney. "Is this true? How can this be?"

Sidney shrugged. "I helped Mr. Molyneux out of his debts last year which were the cause of her kidnapping and almost forced marriage. He was looking at prison time too."

Tom looked at him astounded. "You mean you settled his debts!"

Sidney nodded and shrugged. "Seemed the right thing to do at the time."

Mary frowned. "Sidney, how benevolent of you." her face expressed her shock and surprise.

Sidney shook his head but did not protest that it was but only benevolence brought forth on account of condemning eyes of the woman he was growing rather fond of at the time and he wished to see the looks she sent his way soften for they had hardened to a level he could not endure. He had found then that he could not bear the thought that Charlotte thought so badly of him.

"Charlotte must not have any idea," Mary said concerned. "I shall write to her immediately unless you advise against it because you have other plans?"

Sidney shook his head. "Please, write to her. I have some now pressing business to conduct for the next few days, ..." he said uncomfortably knowing he wanted to rush immediately to Willingden but he still had just a little left to do.

Mary frowned. "Is there anything I should tell her for you?" her eyes probed him.

Sidney blushed and looked around. "I-" he hesitated. "That should she agree I could come to her."

Arthur smiled. "You don't mean...?" he asked.

Sidney knew it was highly improper to write her himself without her consent to receive. "Yes Arthur."

His youngest brother laughed. "What a delightful revelation." he grinned with glee. "She is far more fun than Mrs. Campion."

Diana lightly whacked him on the chest and smiled back to her brother. "I am happy for you."

Embarrassed he looked away. "Let us not get ahead of ourselves. No need to rush things." he winced. "She may not accept me, I have acted as a proper gentleman in all matters."

Mary smiled smugly. "It is good that you see that," she whispered and looked to her husband. "Which will make you love her all the more when she does accept you." she looked back to Sidney with her encouraging smile.

"Quite right," Sidney smiled and said looking down and then around uncomfortably. Matters of the heart were never easy for him to talk of among others, and now more so.

"I need to check a few things in Sanditon before I can concoct an excuse to go to her in Willingden if she does not return of her own accord." he sighed and turned from them to reenter Sanditon House as the sunset. "If you will excuse me."

"I take it my things have been moved to Trafalgar House?" he asked Esther.

She nodded. "Yes, you look in better spirits. Did Georgiana bring good news?" she asked.

Sidney nodded. "She and her new husband mean to take over Lady Denham's debts, and I could not persuade them otherwise," he said in hushed tones for Sir Edward was glaring at him. The fool had ranted about charging him for the damage to his stables once he took possession. But now Sidney was sure his threats were without weight now.

Esther smiled. "You are really and truly free now," she said with a tearful smile. "I am sorry-" she put her hand to her face. "I am with child again and my tears and temper get the most of me these days."

Sidney frowned and then looked up to his friend Lord Babington and smiled congratulations. This time he was really and truly happy for his friend without the cloud of misery over him and the hope that finally, he would have his hearts desire.