Chapter 72

"Is that you Miss Heywood?" Lady Denham said from her bed. Her lacy mobcap on her head with loose curls around her concerned face.

Charlotte moved to her side quickly. "I came straight away, Lady Denham. Are you well?" she asked.

Lady Denham scoffed. "Zeus in his infinite passion sends piercing fire from the sky. Of course, I am well. Do you think this be my first monstrous thunderous tempest?" she asked impatiently. "Oh I am just relieved it is happening tonight and I expect we shall have sunny skies after for the ball."

A snap rang overhead and the lights flashed outside.

"I am glad you made it back. I was worried you walked into town but Esther told me Mr. Sidney Parker insisted on bringing you," she said looking at her. "Did he behave himself Miss Heywood?" she asked pointedly.

Charlotte nodded. "As best a man like him is able to I suppose," she said as honestly as she could.

Lady Denham laughed. "Well put Miss Heywood, well put..." she leaned back. "Did you get my letter posted?"

Charlotte nodded. "I did."

Lady Denham tensed up and then relaxed. "There are such strange spasms today. I believe it is because I am abed too much, but I don't have the energy to stand. I get too dizzy."

Charlotte looked to the corner. "How about a chair, where you can put your feet up perhaps?" she suggested.

Lady Denham shook her head. "No, dear girl, no...I am just wanting to complain. I never liked to be idle but I have no head for needlework which is probably all I am good for now. And reading," she looked disgusted at the book. "it pains my head."

Sitting near. "I could excuse myself from dinner tonight and join you. Perhaps I could read to you."

Lady Denham shook her head. "You young people should be left to your spring country party and not worry on your decrepit host." she said pathetically. "I heard there may be a Gothic play in the works," she said her voice turning bright. "Though it would seem tonight is the perfect night for horrors."

Charlotte nodded. "I am not a part of it if I can help it," she said nervously. "I wouldn't know how to act."

Lady Denham regarded her for a long moment. "That is why I like you. You are open like a book." she sighed. "Perhaps that is why you are so popular in London when it comes to society honesty is a luxury in itself."

Charlotte blushed. "I don't know Ma'am," she answered the statement nervously.

Lady Denham leaned back tired. "I am fatigued by my unnecessary worrying about you and now you are here and I want to sleep." she waved her off. "Go and enjoy yourself. Leave me to get over this infernal milady as soon as may be."

Charlotte nodded and tucked her in tenderly and touched the back of the woman's hand. "You must get better Ma'am. I don't know where Sanditon would be without you."

Lady Denham took her other hand and patted hers. "You say such nice things if it wasn't for your long-standing honesty I would doubt the sincerity of your words." the woman muttered. "Now go, leave me to my rest," she said impatiently dismissive.

Charlotte kissed the back of the woman's hand and gave it a tender squeeze before she left the room amidst more thunder and lightning.

Bell came to her room. "Oh Miss Heywood, so glad you made it back in the storm alright," she said breathlessly.

Charlotte nodded and sat at her looking glass. "I need a new dress and petticoats, these are soiled and need a good cleaning," she said tired and fatigued from the activities of the day.

Bell who was excited to chat went to the wardrobe. "What dress would you like Miss?" she flipped through the options.

Charlotte sighed. "That one." she pointed as she flicked past a lovely white muslin dress. It was simple, and with a silk sash would be the perfect complement to the fabric and lace. "Bell... Has there been more gossip downstairs?" she asked nervously.

Bell blushed. "Of course Miss!" she giggled. "There was a little talk about how Mr. Parker insisted on taking you into town alone in his carriage and has shown more attention to you than even his own fiance," Bell said babbling.

Charlotte nodded. "But it wasn't an enclosed carriage." Charlotte defended herself.
Bell giggled. "Oh I know that." she smiled. "But people will talk and make comments."

"What about any what the papers are saying. Do the servant's talk of any London papers?" she asked.

Bell shook her head. "No Miss, what, are you worried about something. Maybe a scandal?"

Charlotte sighed and shook her head. "I don't know. It was something Diana said," she told Bell.

"Miss Diana Parker?" Bell asked.

Charlotte nodded. "She said something about a paper saying I was possibly the Prince Regents new mistress," she said with irritation.

Bell laughed. "Papers speculate on these things all the time. I suppose it just piques your popularity. People will want to be close to you to discern the truth of that rumor."

Charlotte sighed. "I don't like it."

Bell laughed and laid out her dress and went to help remove the clothes charlotte was already wearing. "I reckon you wouldn't miss. But it's just a silly rumor. No one would dare slight you if it were true anyway."

Charlotte put on her dress and let Bell redress her hair into a softer and more relaxed updo.

"What ribbon do you wish tonight?" Bell asked pulling out a line of organized ribbons.

"The light green will be lovely," she said and waited for her to loop it around her middle as she fretted internally.

Bell glanced up at Charlotte's worried face. "You seem bothered Miss."

Nodding Charlotte sat down and took a deep breath. "I suppose I am," she answered quietly and took a deep breath. So many more days to endure all this turmoil. How would she ever manage?