Chapter 64

Charlotte ventured into Lady Denham's chamber with a single tapered candle and checked the woman just as she had been asked to.

Her footsteps were light as she found the woman sleeping deeply with the help of laudanum. She took the chamber pot and pulled for a servant to whisk it away and replace it with a clean one.

Going to the desk she found a leather-bound case that had not been there before. Curiosity made her wonder what was inside, but she chose she leave Lady Denham to her privacy. Whatever documents were inside must be of great importance. Perhaps she would ask her about it tomorrow.

Tucking Lady Denham in she quietly left the room and made her way to her chamber.

Mrs. Campion opened her door as Charlotte passed.

"Oh Miss Heywood. You are not yet to your bed?" she asked.

Charlotte nodded. "I am headed there now. I was just checking that Lady Denham is sleeping well."

Mrs. Campion nodded and smiled. "I was just restless," she commented.

Charlotte nodded. "Indeed. Good night," she said leaving the woman and went to her room. Once inside she took a deep breath and shut the door.

Going to the pull she rang for Bell to help her prepare for bed. The day had been long, and tiresome. Like Sidney had said over tea that there was no love between himself and Mrs. Campion that Charlotte could observe. There was no tenderness of affection, not kindness in their looks. Just resolve.

Her cheeks burned at the confession of Captain Warrick being interested but that she would not have him. Was that true? She always felt he was more teasing her with his attentions than actually pursuing her and though it made her blush it had not made her think on him as a serious choice for a partner.

She stood by her fire and waited for Bell to come. And she did most swiftly.

"Did you have a good night, Miss Heywood?" she asked.

Charlotte frowned. "Yes, I suppose I did," she whispered.

"Would you like a small brandy wine after I unlace you?" she asked.

Charlotte nodded. She often only kept Bell long enough to unlace her and help put away her clothes then she would sit by her fire in the chair and read a little.

"You look, troubled Miss," she said to her as she hung the dress up in the wardrobe.

Charlotte sighed as she pulled a stocking off. "Yes, I suppose I am."

"It's that Mr. Parker isn't it?" Bell asked.

Nodding she looked to the fire. "Yes, and Captain Warrick," she whispered.

Bell nodded. "Captain Warrick is rather dashing but very forward."

Charlotte nodded. "I was beginning to think that was just his way, but is it?" she asked. "Has he approached you in a way that is indecent?" she asked recalling his eye gaze in the carriage to Sanditon House.

Bell blushed. "He just has looked at my breasts, but many a gentleman do tha'" she answered pulling Charlotte's nightgown over her head and followed that with a fine robe.

"But what about Mr. Parker?" Bell asked. "They way he looks at you sends the servants downstairs into gossip. They say he only is engaged to Mrs. Campion for money and think he is secretly in love with you," she said looking at Charlotte through the mirror as she pulled her hair down and started to brush it.

Charlotte swallowed. "I do hope you are not participating in such gossip," she warned her.

She shook her head. "Oh no, most of the servants fear I would gossip to you as I am right now." she blushed. "Apologies Miss."