Chapter 115

Tom entered the 'Ordinary' space of the Crown Hotel and looked about. The men were at their drink and some were even at cards smoking cigars and betting piles of coins and paper. It was not a place he frequented in years and Mary would ice him out for weeks if she knew he was there.

The company of the hotel had certainly elevated of late. Fashionable men were conversing and he spun around in surprise to see the establishment so filled with people.

Soon he spied the man he was looking for but not before bumping clumsily into a few others.

"Frightfully sorry Sir, I am," he said straightening himself but the man turned from him as if he did not know who he was. Tom blushed in embarrassment. For the most part, no one knew he was the original man at the helm but now only Sidney seemed to be known. And it was just as well. He always had the connections where Tom had never been truly easy among fashionable people.

Coming to the table where his quarry sat he nodded. "Sir Denham,"

The blond man looked up. "Mr. Tom Parker. What do I owe," he said looking at his cards. "The pleasure." Looking not in the least pleasured by the interruption.

Tom looked at him seriously. "It is about... about your aunt," he said quietly so as not to get the attention of anyone else but the man across the table.

Sir Edward put down his cards and folded them. "I am done for this round gentlemen," he said standing and taking his things off the table. "I will come round later."

Edward looked at Tom irritatedly but led the way out of the tight throng of men and the cloud of smoke that filled the air.

Tom followed the man until they found an uncrowded seat.

"Come, what has you seeking me out specifically," Edward asked as he sat and lit himself a new smoke blowing it directly into Tom's face.

"I have just been to Sanditon House," Tom said seriously.

Edward scoffed and rolled his eyes. "The old lady dead yet?" He asked. "I came because rumor in London was that Mr. Sidney Parker was not in residence after traipsing across England chasing after his silly heiress ward and my dear aunt was spending more time in her apartments while the party of the decade played out about her." he sneered. "The old witch liked pomp and circumstance, I can't imagine only the worst of health would keep her from the events."

Tom frowned. "Your aunt is not well. She may be on death's door or very soon will be and you stand to inherit," he said breathlessly.

Edward laughed. "Of course I do. Clara is a disgraced whore, and Esther has married very well for herself as my aunt would believe. That just leaves me." he looked appraisingly at Tom and frowned. "And you have come to me for what, favor?" he asked.

Tom shook his head his mouth open agape.

Leaning forward he smiled at Tom. "When that old hag dies I am going to call in every debt, and sell, sell, sell." Edward parrotted the common saying Tom was once known for. "You and your pathetic climbing family will fall." Edward laughed like you all laughed at me once.

Standing Tom felt a cold sweat break. "I meant to warn you and be of good relations, but since that will not happen," he stopped himself and turned as Edward laughed drunkenly.

"You and your family have eyed us Denham's enviously for years," he smirked. "Will be interesting to see your brothers face when he learns I will be the only thing that stands between you and your entire family's ruin." he smiled coldly and looked to Tom. "You bother is too proud. Soon he will know what it is to fall."