Chapter 30

Eliza stepped outside just near the front entrance to breathe. The cool winter air was bracing, but it eased the oppressive warmth of the ball and she was glad for it. The music was strangely soothing to her mood.

Wiping at a stray tear she looked around to be sure none could see her display of emotion.

She had come to the ball in the company of her fiance, and his friends but Eliza didn't feel there was a friend in sight for herself. Rubbing her arms briskly she paced a moment deep in thought. Lonely was the feeling she realized.

Perhaps the answer was a party or a lavish dinner? Perhaps to celebrate the impending child of the Babingtons? It was an utterly perfect idea.

Perhaps it would also improve her standing regarding Lady Babington and society as a whole. She took a deep sure breath and her teeth chattered, but her mood was much lifted even if her nerves didn't follow.

Indeed she would throw Lord and Lady Babington a party. That would start to set things to rights.

Turning Eliza entered the house again her dress swishing behind her. Once inside she smoothed out her appearance and gazed at her reflection in the long foyer mirror. She looked more hopeful again and striking she thought and smiled. Georgiana was wrong, she looked very fine.

The heat had been vented somewhat from wide-open doors allowing in the fresh winter air. Now feeling more self-assured she looked around and spied Lady Worcester and approached her from behind.

Laughing gayly she moved in familiarly, "My dear Lady Worcester, it has been too long." she smiled and touched her forearm familiarly hoping that this bold approach was a good one.

"Indeed Mrs. Campion." Lady Susan's tone was measured and not giving any of her cards up but friendly. "You are looking very fine tonight." Lady Worcester said taking in the bright yellow of Eliza's dress.

Eliza smiled and smoothed her front. "Thank you Lady Worcester. Yellow for Lemons," she said with a smug laugh. "Compliments my hair, I think." she looked around changing the subject. "I have heard you have been hosting a fine young lady and she has made such a splash among the Beau Monde, you must introduce me."

Lady Susan frowned then smiled. "I had thought you to already be acquainted with her so for you there would be no need for reintroductions. She is currently dancing with your Mr. Parker my dear, see," she pointed with her fan. "There."

Eliza's breath rushed out and her hand went to her mouth in shock. "Miss Heywood?" she took a shaking breath, taking in the scene of Sidney holding the woman he had professed to her that he bore feelings for and still did if anyone had eyes to see.

Lady Susan took in the surprise and shock and fanned her. "Mrs. Campion, are you quite alright? I do believe it must be the heat." she tried to cover for the possible overreaction of Mrs. Campion. "Lady Winthrop has ordered some windows to be open," she said looking around.

Captain Warrick noticed the event and stepped near. "May I bring you something to drink Mrs. Campion?" he offered.

Lady Susan touched his arm gently. "Get her some punch cousin dear," she said sweetly and took Eliza's hand.

"They will, of course, have occasion to meet. I hope no unpleasantness occurs." Lady Susan said breaking the act and warned Eliza in a whisper while the woman still watched the two dance and absorbed the realities of the moment.

Elizas eyes narrowed and she glared and then looked at Lady Worcester. "Of course... I understand perfectly." she looked back at Sidney who was dancing with his little farm girl and her mood darkened to a thunderous rage. She breathed as she tried to maintain composure. It would not do to shatter her own reputation entirely by an overreaction to the event.

Taking the offered drink she looked at the pair still dancing before her. Sidney's eyes looked positively glued on the young girl.

Eliza was hardly gratified to see she could find no fault with her attire. Indeed Miss Heywood looked even better coiffed than her own. And Eliza's bright yellow dress looked almost plain next to what Charlotte wore.

However, the girl moved as if she didn't know the steps...

Anger blazed from her eyes to realize they were both stumbling not because of ill talent but because they were paying too much attention to each other. Their clumsiness caused her to fall into his arms and Eliza could not ignore the sparks between the two. Indeed no one in the room would have missed the heat that fair scorched the wood floor before her eyes. And all Eliza could see was red.

She gulped the drink and huffed trying to regain her composure.

Behind her, Captain Warrick edged in close to his cousin having observed the strange occurrence. Mrs. Campion's reaction was strange indeed and he studied her, then Mr. Parker and Miss Heywood for a long time before he spoke.

"What is this intrigue that you have left me out of dear cousin," he whispered still watching the spectacle. "My feelings are hurt," he said with a playful seriousness.

Lady Susan turned and smiled. "Oh hush," she said pulling her fan over her mouth. "She will hear you."

Warrick looked to the blond woman before him. "Then speak quieter," he replied. What is all this?" he pressed.

"Mr. Campion is passed, have you not heard? And Mr. Sidney Parker and his old flame intend to wed," she whispered as he leaned in closer.

Captain Warrick frowned and smiled. "He was worth a massive fortune the old dog..."

Lady Susan nodded. "Yes, and fortune is what Mr. Parker sorely needs."
He frowned remembering that Mr. Sidney Parker was a good businessman and often found ingenious ways to turn a profit without committing criminal acts. Was he in debt?

"But then how do you explain them?" he asked raising his eyebrows. "I do believe he is in love with her."

Lady Susan smiled and fanned herself. "Hush, we can talk of this later when none will overhear." she chuckled. "But you are ever perceptive." said watching.

Captain Warrick sighed and focused his attention on the pair. Indeed Miss Heywood had an appealing blush to her cheeks and he smiled. She was in love too.