Chapter 165

Eliza looked around the town and frowned at her husband. "Are the rooms not suitable?" she asked as she waited for her husband to agree to the man Sidney had managing his affairs.

Warrick nodded taking a slip of paper from the man. "Yes, my dear."

"It is a slight that Sidney did not come himself." She commented and looked down the road distastefully as a cow was led past her and was dumping excrement as it followed the farmer down the way.

A group of children ran past her and she looked shocked to have almost been bowled over. Taking a long glance she realized they looked familiar. "Little heathens!" she gasped as Warrick took her hand to steady her.

"My dear cousin." Lady Susan smiled as she rounded the corner. "My unexpected charges are quite a handful," she admitted with a soft smile.

"Your charges?" Eliza questioned shocked.

Lady Susan smiled sweetly. "They Heywood children." she looked to her cousin then and leaned forward to embrace and kiss him on the cheek. "Well eight of them." she clarified.

Warrick smiled. "Not often seen, Lady Susan playing governess."

She laughed. "Heavens no, it is not often but a rousing joy upon occasion." she looked down where the children were now chasing each other only mildly in the way of passers on the street.

"They Heywood children, why are they here?" Eliza asked curiously.

Susan smiled. "Well, they are here for the event. Though I do not believe it was the family's intention to all come to Sanditon, but events unfolded to make it possible for them all to come."

Eliza looked disgusted. "And forced you to watch their children?" she asked. "presumptive indeed."

Shaking off her comment she smiled. "I just told you I found children a joy upon occasion. No one forces me to do something I do not wish."

Warrick nodded. "No indeed." changing the subject he turned. "What news of Sanditon? Has the will been read?" he looked around. "I could not help but notice I have not seen either Mr. Parkers."

Lady Susan nodded. "They are having a picnic at Sanditon House this afternoon. I was just herding the children from Mrs. Griffiths where she has been minding them by day."

Eliza frowned. "Why would they be having a picnic there?" she asked. "Who is the host?" she asked feeling nosy.

Smiling with her sparkling eyes Lady Susan laughed. "My Miss Heywood of course." she laughed. "Come, it is a large party and no one will mind that I bring you along. You have so many questions best to get the answers from the source is it not?"

Warrick smiled crookedly knowing his cousin bore a secret and he nodded eager to be in on it.

"Yes I think we should," he looked to the carriage with the trunks being offloaded. "No need to remain while the unpacking is done." Slapping the paper against his hand he then moved it to his pocket. "Seems like a lifetime ago I was walking the streets. Here I am, a married man."

Lady Susan nodded and smiled guardedly. "Yes, indeed. I suppose congratulations should be extended but I fear condolences are more accurate?" she asked boldly and noted the angry look of the bride.

Eliza was not pleased by the comment of Lady Susan but still feared the woman's influence so instead, her cheeks burned in embarrassment.

Warrick laughed and smiled at ease with the moment in contrast to his wife's tempestuous reaction.

"Congratulations would be more accurate. I have a lively wife who is already with child and am going to embark soon on another long adventure. Things are tip-top." he smiled brightly.

Lady Susan eyed him mischievously. "Are you all the scandal?" she asked. "I feel so far removed from the London Society here."

Warrick scoffed. "Since when am I not a scandal?" he laughed as they strolled being lead by a passel of children that Eliza looked on in abject horror.

"Have there been many changes in my absence?" he asked seriously.

His cousin smiled. "Yes, a fair bit has happened." She said and looked down seriously. "Among things on Lady Denham's funeral, there was a confrontation of gentlemen and well... the stables burned down and you can not imagine what a business it has been to house the woman's many asses and horses."

"Another fire?" Eliza asked curious and interested in the dramatic. "That is unfortunate. I seemed a well-appointed place," she said as if she was not quite sure what to say.

Warrick nodded. "I think that is not all the news. Come now, who has the will gone to. Don't leave us in such suspense dear cousin."

Lady Susan turned and rolled her eyes. "You are not a patient man are you when left out?"

Eliza and he glanced at each other trying to make out if they understood things. Both looked equally confused.

"Miss Heywood is the beneficiary of Lady Denham's estate and holdings." She answered quietly. Though it was now common knowledge she still spoke it as if it were a secret.

Eliza froze as her face went stark white. A much paler shade than the norm. Her cheeks had lost their pink color.

"I thought it would go to Sir Denham," Warrick asked.

Lady Susan nodded. "He thought so too. It seems he may have gone to great lengths to see that it was so.... Sir Edward Denham disappeared shortly after the announcement only to have the bailiffs arrive shortly after he left himself." She looked down the road to where two stood outside of the Crown Hotel.

Eliza felt a chill as she looked on the two men dressed in dirty and dark coats. Their boots caked in mud and inquiring eyes.

"Those looked like rough head hunters," Warrick observed.

Eliza did not understand but knew it was serious.

"Sanditon House is Miss Heywood's?" Eliza's voice was shocked. "The investment, everything? How could Lady Denham do that? Leave everything to the eldest daughter of some farmer?"

Lady Susan shrugged. "She was a wise woman, I am not one to question her actions."

Eliza watched as the older woman continued to herd the group of children down the lane promising them sandwiches and cakes at the end of their journey.