Chapter 150

Sidney woke in the early dawn hours and he blinked the heavy sleep away and rubbed at it harshly wondering if it was just twilight. But he noted the direction of the sun and shook his head realizing it was morning. If that were true he would have slept an entire day's allotted hours.

Rising shakily he registered stiffness which had come from both hard riding and the fisty cuffs with Sir Denham.

Stretching he went to the window. It was another day, and soon he hoped to see Charlotte. He craved word if only to tell him that she was well, but he was endeavoring towards patience.

A half an hour later he had washed and readied himself enough for the morning table.

Coming down the stairs he found Mary already seated.

"Oh Sidney, you have two letters waiting for you. Neither was urgent so I chose to let you sleep. Though I am afraid you might have slept more than you wished." she gestured to the table and he flipped both to determine origin.

Scanning the note he muttered. "Oh, the spectacle I brokered will be coming early for testing of our winds," he said scanning the note. "Seems it takes knowledge of weather patterns to assure the scientists don't kill the viewers," he said folding it and moving on to the next.

Mary frowned. "How dramatic, I wonder if I will be brave enough now that you put it that way?"

"And anther from Georgiana..." he said his tone dropping an octave. "Seems she and her new husband have gone to Willingden to get to know the Heywood family." he smiled slightly.

"This news cheers you?" Mary asked her brows raised.

Sidney nodded. "It does." he folded the note thoughtfully. "And how is Mr. Hale?"

Mary sighed and shook her head. "Still has not woken but he shifts a little. Concern over his injury is growing and Dr. Fuch who came here twice yesterday is worried he will have memory problems. Tom has been pacing and he has threatened to look at the contents of the will but it is sealed and I am afraid to have him break it and render it null...Do you know if that is possible?"

Sidney shrugged. "I am no lawyer," he said simply.

"Whatever it may be, better that than Sir Edward," she said shaking her head as she poured the tea.

Sidney nodded. "Have the Babington's been informed of his arrival and injury?" he asked.

Mary shook her head. "As you probably assume we thought it best that his arrival here is kept secret. Dr. Fuch's has told us that he is used to such in his profession and has not eluded to the Solicitors presence or condition to anyone outside of the house. We were even able to excuse our late lie in yesterday on account of the search for young Mabbin."

Sidney frowned. "So the constable has not been informed that there is a body in the forest miles from here?"

Mary shifted uncomfortably and they both turned hearing footsteps.

Tom having overheard the conversation from the hall entered with a spring to his step and a smile on his face. "A highwayman? Why ever would we overly involve ourselves with that? Better for Mabbin to not be associated with any of that I think." he said kissing Mary on the top of her head. "Good morning."

Sidney shrugged. "I suppose someone will come upon him and make an inquiry. They may not venture this far in their questioning."

Tom nodded. "Yes, my thoughts exactly." He clapped his hand. "Now, Mary is of the mind to not take a look at the will, but I thought it only understandable that we should." he rubbed his hands together excitedly.

Sidney sighed and shook his head. "The contents of the will no longer involve me now that I have the means to settle the debt. I think we should keep our noses out of it." he set his cup down.

Standing astounded Tom frowned and looked at him as if the wind had been taken out of his sales. "But Sidney, had it been just two days ago I believe you would have ripped into it."

Nodded as he stood he sighed. "Yes, but then it involved me and you. If it goes to that fool then I feel heartily sorry for Lady Denham and her memory. But Tom, we should remain outsiders in this for fear of accusation if things go wrong."

Tom kicked his foot a little and he groaned. "I suppose you are right." Looking back to his brother he eyed him curiously. "And where do you go at this hour?"

Sidney turned."To find Lord Babington, and check on the Pavilions," he shook his head. "I have been distracted of late and I have let many tasks lapse and I cannot afford a misstep. The Prince Regent is expected, as is the Beau Monde....again. I know more apartments will be let, and a huge demand for more housing and accommodation which I will need to determine when those projects could feasibly be started."

Tom blinked. "Maybe you could ask Lady Babington, or even Lady Worcester to assist you. Then perhaps...on to Willingden?" he questioningly suggested his brows raised expectantly.

Sidney shook his head perplexed by his sudden interest in him going to Charlotte by Tom who seemed to only care about the fate of Sanditon or Lady Denham's estate. "I have already been offered help from Lady Worcester, but much has fallen on her shoulders and now Charlotte-" he cleared his throat still trying to grow accustomed to her name on his lips openly among his family. "Charlotte is not here to work her skills."

Mary smiled. "Surely her father cannot keep her if she wished to return," she said to him. "I do believe she will come. I wrote her a letter begging her to return last night, but I am afraid I will only get it out to the post today. I had to stop short of offering her a place here." she looked down shyly. "All of our rooms seem to be full up."

Sidney smiled stiffly. "I could find other accommodations, but I do believe the Babington's took apartments enough for all of them and she had been planning to join them."

Mary smiled and nodded. "I look forward to resuming my closer bond with her and am anxious for her return. Since the events of last year I have felt quite at a distance from everyone." she glanced at Tom marking him as the source of that loneliness and distance but her eyes had softened. Tom had agreed to allow Mabbin to stay indefinitely and he had managed to find the solicitor in great peril, so she smiled with sprouting pride. Maybe he was changing.

Sidney smiled and bid them both a good morning.

"Oh, Sidney," Tom said after he had left. "But he is wrong."

Mary frown. "To what are you referencing."

He chuckled and sat at the table that was still being laid by their maid. "The business of Sanditon could wait, and he should go to Willingden strait off but he is putting business first."

Mary raised her brow at him. "Seems a family trait to put work before heart? Or in your case was it heart for Sanditon before family?" she leveled at him tartly as maid brought the last plate in.

Tom smiled and scoffed. "Well, we have no concern over that any longer. Sanditon's future is well and secured," he said smugly.

She looked at him quizzically. "You looked at the will." she accused with a calm but confident voice.

He dropped the fork and knife and looked at her shocked. "I- Well, how could I not?" he stammered. "It was right there," he said simply but whispering.

Mary lowered her voice. "Tom it could now be worthless!" she said seriously.

Tom smiled. "I was careful, no one will ever know," he said confidently.

Frowning with disapproval she glared at him but curiosity won over.

"And?" she finally asked.

Tom smiled and looked at his plate. "All things will be right as spring rain." he chuckled. "Oh, sausage!" he exclaimed.