Chapter 83

Lady Denham sat up with a heavy head, but her heart was lighter. She was more sure of the future of Sanditon than she felt that morning. Seeing the crowd of the Beau Monde flock to Sanditon House was a boon she wished she had enjoyed last summer at the midsummer ball.

She could hear the party music had stopped and she moved creakingly to the side of the bed and shuffled over to her robe.

Her servant who was standing by the window turned when she heard her mistress move.

"The display is about to start," she said happily.

Lady Denham grumbled. "Don't you think I know it? The music stopped." she snapped for she was already impatient being how out of breath she was already.

Her servant opened the doors to her little veranda and sat a chair there for her.

"There Lady Denham, you will have the best view of all from here." the servant fluffed up a cushion.

She leaned heavily on her cane. "Oh..." she winced as she sat. "Yes, yes," she panted and looked about at the crowd below and looked for her connections among the crowd. Her eyes settled on Tom and Arthur parker and she scowled and then quickly looked for others, Esther and Lord Babington were easy to locate among the crowd. Her niece's hair shined like fire itself in the reflected light of the torches and houses many candles, and Miss Heywood and Mr. Sidney were moving to the front as they took on a position of leadership in the display.

Esther clinked her glass to hush the crowd and looked on.

"Welcome to Sanditon House Spring ball!" she smiled and the gathering clinked glasses as a show of applause since most everyone's hands were occupied. "You all were invited her by either my invitation or by the invitation of our dear Miss Heywood on behalf of our esteemed hostess Lady Denham." the applause and comments of appreciation fluttered over the guests. "Who so graciously made all the pleasures you enjoy possible while here."

"Mr. Sidney Parker, would you like to say a few words?" She asked him and he looked hesitant and uncomfortable.

Coming forward he cleared his throat. "I could not have anticipated a greater turnout," he said seriously with a sigh as if he wasn't quite sure what else to say.

Lady Denham observed that he did not seem to feel as desirous of grand speeches as his older brother had been.

"I would like to ask you now," he continued. "for you all to lift your glass's to the laborer's who worked tirelessly through the cold winter months so that we could have apartments to house you fine cultured society, and who also arranged this display you will very shortly enjoy." he turned to look at the company gathered nearest to him. "Also to the ladies that made it all possible, my fiance Eliza Campion," he said saluting her, "Lady Babington, Miss Heywood, and to the legendary Lady Denham of Sanditon House," he said finally looking up to the balcony that loomed above them.

The crowd turned and saluted her and she smiled but coughed as emotion tightened her throat. Simple and sensible speech, she thought to herself.

"Oh come on! Let's blow them Sidney!" came the drunken encouragement of his drunken dandy friend Mr. Crowe.

Lady Denham scowled and glared down at the man but then she noted that sparks were now moving in circles and she held her breath as the most wonderful burst of orange and gold light came out and burst above them in the sky. She for several moments was enraptured in the display and a smile broke on her face as her neck craned up in awe.

"It is wonderful is it not Lady Denham?" her maid asked.

She did not answer she could not be troubled to talk at such a moment. Gasps of surprise ruptured from the crowd and she knew they all loved the event.

After about five minutes or maybe a little more it was over.

"All that money only to have it over after such a short time?" she said disappointedly when it was through.

Suddenly larger fireworks boomed further out in her lawn and the river was lit up with light as was the smaller display near the terrace.

She clapped enthusiastically as they boomed and burst all around them. She did not even look down to the crowd where Charlotte and Sidney stood side by side. Their eyes held under the firey light.

Their gazes held as everyone looked above and he touched the side of his hand to hers. But nothing more. He felt the heat of her hand and he felt the sparks between them matched those blinding those around them.

Mrs. Campion watched the fireworks above her on the other side of Sidney and her breath caught as the man to the other side of her grazed against her in a manner she could not ignore. She looked to her left and smiled at the lusty eyes of Captian Warrick who had been attending to her most of the night.

He smiled at her making it known his move was purposeful and gratified that it was welcomed.

Mrs. Campion was easy prey in this game he played. He just hoped everyone else would play along as marvelously as she was.

Lady Denham sat in her chair a long moment after the finale was concluded.

"Splendid... But if you ask me it was still a waste of money," she muttered finally standing with great caution. "Young people, so willing to burn money up. Though I dare say on a ball it is better spent than on the gaming tables," she said standing carefully at the foot of her bed so her maid could shed her of the uncomfortable dress she could now finally take off.

The music had resumed down below and she knew it would continue on for many more hours. A strong potion of laudanum was prepared for her as she sat down to finally sleep. It would be easy enough for her now. The ball would be over by daylight and then she would not have to worry as much about Sanditon's future, or the future of her vast estate.

All was well in hand.