Chapter 102

Sidney's stood in the small business as he tried to purchase a horse over a hastily gulped ale. The one he had taken from Lady Denham's stables had thrown a shoe which had caused minor injury enough so that it would be abusive to force the animal to go any further. Limping the mare into the larger village town of Guilford he had immediately set to stabling her and paid for it to be boarded several days while he pursued Warrick to London for answers.

The chore had taken far longer than Sidney had time for and very nearly came he came to fists with an overly greedy bargaining man who wished to up the price when he sensed Sidney's desperation and urgency for a fast and able riding horse.

Refusing to bargain more Sidney just threw coins at him and hurried to the horse in question having the saddle and pack moved from one beast to the other. He had wasted an hour and a half in all the trouble and any ground he had gained in his initial ride was completely lost. Rage and impatience coursed through him as he felt an urgency to hurry as he had never felt before.

The animal was skittish and barely broken in, if at all. The great black shining beast kept trying to buck at him as Sidney frustratedly attempted to saddle the animal.

"He is barely green broke sir." the stable boy said from his perch on an oat barrel.

Sidney cursed. "Is there another better-trained horse to buy?" he asked about ready to kill someone.

The boy shook his head. "None worth it. That boy is fast, if you can get on his back he will have you to London in two shakes of a tail, suppose you can hang on." He laughed as he chewed on a piece of hay.

"Will you give him some oats to distract him while I secure the buckles?" Sidney asked tossing the kid a remaining coin.

"Right away sir," he said fetching an oats bag to help cover and calm the animal.

"Mr. Parnaken calls this boy the devil," he told Sidney as he gently tried to soothe the animal. The creature simmered down with the promise of tasty fresh oats and Sidney sighed relieved.

"He beats him into submission." the toe headed blond looked to Sidney who was listening but still in a rush and not to be slowed by small talk.

"I won't hurt him," Sidney said seriously. "But I need him to cooperate enough to get me to London as fast as possible."

"What has you off to London in such a hasty way? Is someone ill?" the kid asked probing.

Sidney shook his head. "My-" he stopped himself. "Someone dear to me has been taken. I believe against her will," he confessed. "I need to find her."

"Ah, a lady girl," the boy blushed. "Dear enough to be sweet on her?" he asked still stroking the horse.

Sidney nodded. "Yes, she-"

"You gonna marry her?" the boy asked coming to the crux of the questioning.

Sidney looked to him and smiled. "I would like to if circumstances allowed."

The boy frowned confused. "What is stopping you sir?" the kid asked.

Sidney shook his head. "I wish it were easier to explain," he said as he sinched in the last leather strap. "Clean the hooves, and keep him calm till I come back," Sidney said as he went and purchased a few carrots for the horse to help endear himself to the beast but he knew he had little time.

Coming back to the horse he found the boy humming to the beast.

"Thank you," Sidney said going to try to mount the horse. While the kid hummed and stroked the horse nickered and complained while shifting around on his long legs, but he did not buck and for that Sidney was thankful.

"Ride him hard, and show him who is boss while giving him what he wants." the kid said patting the horse's side. "He wants some freedom to do what he loves."

Sidney smiled. "Thank you, what is your name?" He asked him.

"Mabbin Sir. Mabbin Gimlic." he said.

Sidney smiled slightly. "You have conducted yourself well in my service young Mabbin. Your folks would be proud."

The boy shook his head. "Don't have none of those."

Sidney frowned. "If ever you have need I owe you a favor. Go to Sanditon and ask for Mr. Sidney Parker. Tell whoever you come upon that I promised you a job if ever you have need."

The boy brightened. "Thank ye, Sir. I will remember that." He patted the horse. "I hope you find your lady."

Sidney nodded and smiled as he gently kicked the impatient dancing horse to move forward.

"Ya." he shouted as the black beast thundered out of the town finally in the direction of London.

The weather had darkened significantly and the rain was fast approaching. Though the weather had been bright and sunny almost entirely since the thunder and lightning storm weeks before it now gathered and rolled in like a tempest brewing. It mirrored his own emotions.

The dark clouds made him worry about Charlotte. Had she arrived in London? Was she with Warrick or was it another kind of trick.

Sidney had never trusted Miss Clara Brereton, but he also did not know her well enough to make what Charlotte would call a reliable conclusion on the woman's character.

Somewhere between half-hoping Charlotte was a willing participant in the departure or a victim of a kidnapping he prayed she was well.

Georgiana was far from his mind. He knew his ward to be willful but she would not have made the same mistake again. If she ran she would have had a better plan than the last time. That he was sure of.

The horse's hooves pounded in his ear a tight beat and he held fast as the beast sped through the countryside passing carriages that he only slightly slowed enough to check the occupants inside.

Cursing upon not yet finding his quarry he would coax the horse back up to a breakneck pace that the animal reveled in. The stable boy Mabbin had been right to tell him to give the horse what he wanted. Sidney willingly gave into the animal's need for speed and in giving him that the horse grew more and more willing to listen to his commands.