Can't Save Everybody

Later, we were driving along in the Impala with the radio going, talking about the incoming weather. But then Dean turns the radio off. "Do you wanna say it or should I?" Dean asked us. "What?" Sam and I said. "You can't save everybody, guys." Dean said.

"Yeah, right, so – so what, you feel better now or what?" I asked Dean. "No, not really." He replied. "Me neither." I said. "Same here." Sam and Dean said. "You gotta understa–" Dean started to say until but Sam talks over. "It's just lately, I feel like I can't save anybody." Sam said and I frown over at him.

Outside the house we were staying in, Sam and I were reading and Dean was on his phone when there was a knock at the door. I set the book down and check the door and see that it is Bela; I share a long look with the boys before I open the door. "Dear God, are you actually squatting?" She asked once she walks in, no one replies.

"So how'd things go last night with Peter?" She asked and we don't respond. "That well, huh?" She said. "If you say I told you so, I swear to God I'll start swinging." Dean growls at her. "Look, I think the four of us should have a heart to heart." She said. "That's assuming that you have a heart." I spat at her.

"(Y/n), please...I'm sorry about what I said before, ok? I come bearing gifts." She said. "Such as?" Sam asked. "I've ID'd the ship." She said as she holds up the file in her hand.

Then she pulls out a picture from the file and hands it to Sam. "It's the Espirito Santo, a merchant sailing vessel, quite a colourful history. In 1859 a sailor was accused of treason. He was tried aboard a ship in a kangaroo court and hanged. He was 37." She explains.

"Which would explain the 37 year cycle." Sam said. "Aren't you a sharp tack?" She said and Sam glares at her. "I have a photo of his somewhere...here." she said and she pulls out another picture with a few men standing on the deck of the ship.

"Isn't that the customer we saw last night?" Dean asked us as he points at the man who was standing prominently. "You saw him?" Bela asked him. "Yeah, that's him, except he was missing a hand." I said.

"His right hand?" Bela asked. "How'd you know?" Sam asked. "The sailor's body was cremated, but not before they cut off his hand to make a hand of glory." Bela explains. "A hand of glory – I think I got one of those at the end of my Thai massage last week." Dean said then he laughs. "Dean, the right hand of a hanged man is a serious cult object and is very powerful." Sam said.

"So they say." Bela said. "And officially counts as remains." I said. "But still, none of this explains why the ghost is choosing these victims." Sam said. "I'll tell you why, who cares. Find the hand, burn it and stop the bloody thing." Bela said.

"I don't get it. Why are you telling us all of this?" Dean asked her. "Because I know exactly where the hand is." She said. "Where?" I asked her. "At the Sea Pines Museum. It's a carp bit of maritime history. But I need help." She replied. "What kind of help?" Sam asked and she smirks.

Later on, I was waiting in the living room of the house; no one else is around as Sam, Bela and Gert were heading at the museum. I was looking myself over at the long mirror, staring at the black dress that was hugging my curves. 

"What is taking so long? Sam and Bela are already halfway there...with Sam's date." I shouted at Dean, who was upstairs. "So not okay with this!" I hear Dean growl from upstairs. "Dean, c'mon. It can't be as bad as me wearing this...thing." I said then I hear footsteps. I look over at the staircase and my breath hitches in my chest.

Dean walks down the stairs in a tuxedo, even wearing a bowtie, and I felt my heart race as I run my eyes over him. Once off the steps, he stands a few feet in front of me then his eyes widen once he sees me. Seemed like both of us were checking each other out.