A Dark Secret

Dean and I were inside the motel room, he was sitting on a bed and I took residence in a desk chair when Sam opens the door and comes in. "So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie." Sam said as he shuts the door behind him. "What do you mean?" Dean and I asked in unison as Sam sits next to his brother. "I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead." Sam replied and we look over at him in shock.

"He drowned?" I asked Sam. "Yep. In the sink." Sam replied, nodding. "Holy crap." I muttered in shock. "What the hell? So you're right, this isn't a creature. We're dealing with something else." Dean said. "Yeah, but what?" Sam asked, thinking. "I don't know." Dean said, shrugging. "Water wraith, maybe? Some kind of demon? I mean, something that controls water...water that comes from the same source." I said and Sam has a look of realization.

"The lake." He said. "Yeah." Dean and I said. "Which would explain why it's upping the body count. The lake is draining. It'll be dry in a few months." Sam said and I nodded. "Exactly! Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time. And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere." I said and Dean stands up. "This is gonna happen again soon." He said and I nodded again. "And we do know one other thing for sure. We know this has got something to do with Bill Carlton." I said.
"Yeah, it took both his kids." Dean said. "And I've been asking around. Lucas's dad, Chris—Bill Carlton's godson." Sam reveals and Dean and I look over at him. "Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit." Dean said to us.

"Mr. Carlton?" I called out to Bill as he sits on the bench which was on the dock. He looks up at us as the boys and I approach him. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind." Sam said to him. "We're from the, the Department—" Dean started to say when Bill interrupts him.

"I don't care who you're with. I've answered enough questions today." Bill said, depressed. "Your son said he saw something in that lake. What about you? You ever see anything out there?" Sam asked but Bill doesn't say anything. "Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death—we think there might be a connection to you or your family." I said to him as he continues to stare at the lake.

"My children are gone. It's...it's worse than dying. Go away. Please." He tells us. The boys and I exchange a look then head back to the Impala, since I left my bike at the motel. "What do you boys think?" I asked them. "Aw, I think the poor guy's been through hell. I also think he's not telling us something." Dean replies as I lean on the Impala.

"So now what?" Sam asked us as Dean looks towards the house and stands there. "What is it?" Sam asked his brother. "Maybe Bill's not the only one who knows something." Dean said and he pulls out the picture Lucas brought him.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea." Andrea told us. Dean got the idea for us to go to Andrea's house so we could talk to Lucas and maybe get him to tell us more. "I just need to talk to him. Just for a few minutes." Dean begs her.

"He won't say anything. What good's it gonna do?" She asked him. "Andrea, we think more people might get hurt. We think something's happening out there." Sam told her and she looks down then shakes her head.

"My husband, the others, they just drowned. That's all." She said to us, firmly. "If that's what you really believe, then we'll go. But if you think there's even a possibility that something else could be going on here, please let me talk to your son." Dean said to her and she looks between us and sighs.

The four of us approach the doorway to Lucas' bedroom a d sed him coloring again, his toy soldiers standing around him. Dean walks and crouches down by Lucas. "Hey, Lucas. You remember me?" Dean asked him as I noticed that Lucas made two drawings of a red bicycle. "You know, I, uh, I wanted to thank you for that last drawing. But the thing is, I need your help again." Dean said as Lucas was drawing a person in water. Dean opens the house picture and puts it down in front of the young boy.