Immortality

After spending a day in jail, the officer then told me and the boys that we were free to go. "Why?" Sam asked them. "Charges against you three were dropped." The officer said and the boys and I share a look before we walk out.

Later, we make it to the hotel lobby where we see Jay standing by, waiting for us. "Jay. Thanks for dropping the charges." Sam said. "You mind telling us why you did it?" Dean asked and I noticed that Jay looked very upset. "We have to talk." he said.

Minutes later, Jay took us to a bar and we all had drinks while he tells us that Charlie had died after Jay had done another death-defying stunt. "I was just a kid when we first met. All I knew was how to cheat at cards. Charlie got me out of more scrapes than I can count. Hell, I would have been dead by the age of 20 if it hadn't been for him." Jay explained then he sighs. "...he was more than my friend. He was my brother."

"I'm sorry, Jay." I said, sympathetically. "Look, I should have listened to you guys when you told me that my show was killing people." Jay said. "Well, you weren't the one pulling the trigger." Dean said. "Yeah, but someone did, and I want to find out who did this to Charlie, so I'll do whatever you guys say. Just tell me what to do." Jay said. 

"Jay, whoever's doing this...They like you. They're probably close to you." Sam said. "Did Charlie and Vernon get along?" I asked Jay. "No. No, it's not Vernon." Jay said, shaking his head disbelieving. "He's the only one that makes sense." Dean said.

"Charlie and Vernon were your family, Jay." Sam said as Jay looks between us. "And now Charlie's gone." I said. "Yeah, but...they butted heads sometimes, but Vernon could never do something like this." Jay said. "See, the thing about real magic is it's a whole lot like crack. People do surprising things once they get a taste of it." said Dean and Jay looks at us and sighs. "You better be damn sure about this. Vernon's all I got left." he said.

*3rd Person POV*

Vernon picks up his phone. 'Yeah? Yeah, okay. I'll be there in two shakes. I got something to tell you anyway." He said and he leaves. Seconds later, Sam, Dean and (y/n) enter Vernon's hotel room. "Wow. It's like a...magic museum." Sam said, awed at all of the props and posters. "You must be in heaven." Dean said as (y/n) looks around the room. 

"This guy doesn't travel light." she remarks. "He's been on the road his whole life. Probably everything he owns is in this room." Sam points out. "Let's get started." 

"Just talked to the head of the convention. Headliner gig is yours." Vernon said to Jay as he walks up to him after arriving at the convention building. Jay turns to him with a look of disappointment on his face.

"What? You don't want it?" Vernon asked him and Jay looks down and sighs. "A day ago, if you told me I'd be standing on this stage..." Jay said as he paces the stages then stops and turns to his friend. "No, I can't do it, Vernon." He said.

"What are you talking about?" Vernon asked. "Charlie's gone." Jay said, upset. "Charlie would have wanted you to go on. This is your shot. It's our shot." Vernon said. "Really? This is what Charlie would have wanted?" Jay asked as Vernon looks at him, confused.

"Charlie's dead." Jay said. "Hey, he was my friend, too, you know." Vernon said, defensively. "It's a hell of a way to treat a friend." Jay said, accusatory. "Again, what are you talking about?" Vernon asked and Jay walks up to him.

"You killed him, didn't you? And for what? So that I -- So that we could be back on top?" He asked. "That's insane." Vernon chuckles but noticed that Jay was serious. "No, you're scaring me." He said.

"First it was Vance, then it was Jeb . Even if you thought you were doing it for me, how in God's name could you kill Charlie?" Jay asked him, angrily. "Oh, you are crazy." Vernon said. "You used me, and you used my act to do this to him. If you think --" Jay started to say but a voice speaks up. "I wouldn't be so hard on him, Jay. He didn't do it."