God's Will

Dean and I hurry back into the room after we noticed that Sam didn't follow us. "Sam, come on, get the lead out." Dean calls out but Sam doesn't respond. "Sam?" I shout then we see Sam was passed out on the floor.

Then Dean and I rush over to him. "Sammy? Sammy! Hey!" Dean and I said, panicked, and Sam jerks awake, groaning. "Y'okay?" I asked him, worried, as he stares at the stone angel. "Yeah. Yeah. I'm okay." Sam replied. "Come on." Dean said and we haul Sam to his feet and guide him into the sanctuary, a hand on his arms, and Dean shuts the door behind us.

"You saw it, didn't you? Didn't you?" Dean asked Sam. "Yeah. Yeah. Guys, I saw an angel." Sam said and Dean and I give a shocked look at him. "You..." Dean mumbles and Sam sits on a pew and I sit next to him. Dean pulls out a flask, unscrews it and hands it to him. "All right. Here." He said.

"I don't want a drink." Sam said then Dean holds his flask to me. I shake my head and Dean shrugs then takes a swig. "So. What makes you think you saw a, uh, angel?" I asked Sam. "It just, it appeared before me and I just, this feeling washed over me, you know? Like, like peace. Like grace." Sam replied.

"Okay, Ecstasy Boy, maybe we'll get you some glow sticks and a nice Dr. Seuss hat, huh?" Dean teased and Sam glares at Dean. "Dean, I'm serious. It spoke to me, it knew who I was." He said. "It's just a spirit, Sam. Okay? And it's not the first one to be able to read people's minds." Dean said as he sits down on another pew.

"Okay, let me guess. You were personally chosen to smite some sinner. You've just got to wait for some divine bat signal, is that it?" Dean asked. "Yeah, actually." Sam said. "Great." I muttered and Dean growls under his breath. "I don't suppose you asked what this alleged bad guy did?" Dean asked him. "Actually I did, Dean. And the angel told me. He hasn't done anything. Yet. But he will." Sam replied then Dean stands up and starts pacing.

"Oh, this is, this is...I don't believe this." Dean mutters. "Dean, the angel hasn't been wrong yet! Someone's going to do something awful, and I can stop it!" Sam exclaims. "You know, you're supposed to be bad too, maybe, maybe I should just stop you right now." Dean said and Sam looks up at him.

"You know what, Dean? I don't understand! Why can't you even consider the possibility?" Sam asked him, angrily. "What, that this is an angel?" Dean asked. "Yes! Maybe we're hunting an angel here, and we should stop! Maybe this is God's will!" Sam shouts.

"Okay, all right. You know what? I get it. You've got faith. That's — hey, good for you. I'm sure it makes things easier." Dean said as he sits again. "I'll tell you who else had faith like that — Mom. She used to tell me when she tucked me in that angels were watching over us. In fact, that was the last thing she ever said to me." Dean said and I frown towards him.

"You never told me that." Sam said, softly. "Well, what's to tell? She was wrong. There was nothing protecting her. There's no higher power, there's no God. I mean, there's just chaos, and violence, and random unpredictable evil that comes out of nowhere, and rips you to shreds." Dean said then he looks down then back over to Sam. "You want me to believe in this stuff? I'm going to need to see some hard proof. You got any?" Dean asked Sam, who doesn't reply.

"Well, I do. Proof that we're dealing with a spirit." Dean said.

Later, we approach Father Gregory's tombstone to sed it covered in creeping vines. "That looks like—" Sam said, shocked. "It's wormwood. Plant associated with the dead; specifically the ones that are not at rest." I said to him and Dean nods. "I don't see it growing anywhere else, except over the murdered priest's marker. It's him, Sam." Dean said and Sam shrugs, slightly.

"Maybe." Sam replied.

"Maybe?" Dean asked, confused.

"Dean, I don't know what to think." Sam said.