Eye Of The Tiger

"This is the Garland file." Linus tells me and Sam as he hands a folder to us. Then he looks over out shoulder. "Is he...drunk?" He asked as he nods behind us and I turn and see Dean swaying back and forth. "No." I replied as Sam reads the file.

"Deputy, according to this, Luther Garland's cause of death was physical trauma. What does that mean?" Sam asked him. "The guy died 20 years ago, before my time. Sorry." Linus said. "Then can we talk to the sheriff?" I asked him. "Um, he's out sick today." Linus replied. "Well, if you see him, will you have him call us? We're staying at the Bluebird." Sam said then he holds up the file.

"Mind if I take this?" He asked and Linus shakes his head. "Know what? You're awesome." Dean said to Linus, who looked confused. "Thanks. Um, y-you too, I guess." he said and we leave.

We walk inside an assistant living building when Dean begins to speak. "This isn't gonna work. Come on, these badges are fake. What if we get busted? We could go to jail." he said, panicked, and then a resident walks past us and startles Dean, I turn to him.

"Dean, shh! Calm down. Deep breath, okay?" I said to him, calmly, and Dean takes a deep breath. "There. You feel better?" I asked him and Dean shakes his head no. "Just come on." I said to him and he begins to scratch his arm again. "Don't scratch." I said, sounding like a parent disciplining their child.

Eventually, we come up to an older man and Sam walks up to him and introduces us. "Mr. Garland." Sam said and the man looks over at us. "Hi uh, I'm Agent Tyler. This is Agent Perry and Agent Kramer, FBI. We'd like to ask you a few questions about your brother Luther." He said as he gestures to me and Dean.

"Let me see some I.D." Mr Garland said. "Certainly." Sam said and we show Mr Garland our badges. "Those are real, obviously. I mean, who would pretend to be an FBI agent, huh? That's just nutty." Dean said and I elbow him. "Sorry, he's new." I assured Mr Garland as he looked over at Dean, suspiciously.

After a moment, Mr Garland looks at the badges then hands them back. "What do you want to know?" he asked us. "Uh, well...according to this, your brother Luther died of physical trauma." I said and Mr. Garland scoffs. "You don't agree." Sam stated. "No, I don't." Mr Garland said, firmly.

"Well, then, what would you call it?" I asked him. "Don't matter what an old man thinks." Mr Garland said. "Mr. Garland. We're just trying to get the truth on your brother. Please." Sam pleads and Mr Garland considers this then begins to explain.

"Everybody was scared of Luther. They called him a monster. He was too big, too mean-looking. Just too different. Didn't matter he was the kindest man I ever knew. Didn't matter he'd never hurt no one. A lot of people failed Luther. I was one of them. I was a widower with three young 'uns. And I told myself there was nothing I could do." Mr Garland said.

"Mr. Garland, um...do you recognize this woman?" I asked him as I hold up the drawing of Jessie. "It's Jessie O'Brien. Her man, Frank, killed Luther." Mr Garland said.

"How do you know that?" Sam asked him.  Everybody knows. They just don't talk about it. Jessie was a receptionist at the mill. She was always real nice to Luther, and he had a crush on her. But Frank didn't like it. And when Jessie went missing, Frank was sure that Luther had done something to her. Turns out the old gal killed herself, but Frank didn't know that. They found Luther with a chain wrapped around his neck. He was dragged up and down the stretch outside that plant till he was past dead." Mr Garland explained as the boys and I listen, I frown a bit at this.

"And O'Brien was never arrested?" Dean asked him. "I screamed to every cop in town. They didn't want to look into Frank. He was a pillar of the community. My brother was just the town freak." Mr Garland replied. "You must have hated Frank O'Brien." said Sam and Mr Garland shakes a bit. "I did for a long time, but life's too short for hate, son. And frank wasn't thinking straight. His wife had vanished, he was terrified. A damn shame he had to put Luther through the same, but...that's fear. It spreads and spreads." he said and the boys and I exchange a look.