Family Remains

I jolt awake from sleeping in the passenger seat of the Impala. I had flashes of moments in my life until towards the end where there was a large white light shining in my face. But before I could decipher what it was, I wake up. I groan a bit and run my hand over my face then turn my head towards the backseat to see Sam passed out. Then I look over to the driver's seat to see Dean studying some papers.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, my voice sounding like I had a frog in my throat. "What's it look like I'm doing?" he retorts as I clear my throat and look at the paper. "Like you're looking for a job." I said. "Yahtzee." Dean said and I hear Sam groan as he starts to wake up.

"We just finished a job like two hours ago." I moaned, tiredly, to Dean. "Adrenaline's still pumping, I guess. So, what do you think...Cedar Rapids, Tulsa, or Chi-Town?" Dean asked me. "I am all for working. I really am. But you got us chasing cases nonstop for like a month now. We need sleep." I said. "Agreed." Sam's voice said from the backseat.

"Yeah, we can sleep when we're dead." Dean said. "You're exhausted, Dean." I said to him, worried. "I'm good." Dean said. "No, you're not. You're running on fumes, and you can't run forever." I tell him and he lowers the paper and turns to me.

"And what am I running from?" Dean asked me and I sigh. "From what you told us. Or are we pretending that never happened?" I asked him as I gesture to me and Sam. Dean stares at me for a moment then turns back to the papers while Sam starts to sit up.

"Stratton, Nebraska. Farm town. A man gets hacked to death in a locked room inside a locked house. No signs of forced entry." Dean said. "Sounds like a ghost." Sam said as I drop my head, annoyed. "Yes, it does." Dean said and he goes to start the car. Sam sighs and flops back down while I lean back on the seat, turn my head to look out the window and start to close my eyes, falling aback to sleep.

"Boy, three bedrooms, two baths, and one homicide. This place is gonna sell like hotcakes." Dean said as we enter this farmhouse. We enter the kitchen and open some cabinets. I then spot something on an empty piece of wall. "Hey, check this out." I call out to the boys and I knock on the wall, it's hollow.

"Huh." Dean hums. "It's probably a dumbwaiter. All these old houses had them." Sam said. "Know-it-all." Dean mutters. "What?" Sam said. "What?" Dean asked. "He said..." I started to say but Dean said. "What?"

"Never mind." Sam said and he walks away and I sigh, lower my head and pinch the bridge of my nose with my thumb and pointer finger. "Dean, honey, I love you but...I haven't slept well for days..." I said and I raise my head to him. "So, I'm pretty tired. But if you continue to be a pain in the ass, I'm gonna kill you." I said. "Oh, I'd like to see you try, sweetheart." Dean said, smiling, obviously enjoying on teasing me. I glare at him then walk pass him and hear him chuckle.

Seconds later, we enter a bedroom to see not much of anything. "Well, no bloodstains, fresh coat of paint, it's a bunch of bubkes." Dean said as I look down at the floor. "Needle's all over the place." I said. "Yeah—power lines." Dean said. "Great." Sam mutters as I go to the closet and open it, only to see a doll head is on the floor.

"Uh..." Sam mutters. "Well, that's super-disturbing." said Dean and I nod. "Think it got left behind?" I asked them. "By who? Unless Bill Gibson likes to play with doll heads." Dean said but then we heard vehicles outside. We walk over to the window and see a car and a moving truck approach.

"Uh-oh." Sam mutters. "I thought you said this place was still for sale." I said to him. "Apparently, it's not." Sam said and we start to head out. 

We come down the stairs from the front door to see a family standing outside. "Can I help you?" the man, which I assume was the father of the family, asked us. "Hi. Are you the new owner?" Sam asked him. "Yeah. You guys are...?" the man asked then Dean said. "This is Mr. Stanwyk and Miss Karlin. I'm Mr. Babar. County code enforcement." Dean said.