Don't Fear The Reaper

"You really think it's THE Grim Reaper? Like, angel of death, collect your soul, the whole deal?" Sam asked me as we sit at the table and we were looking through information about reapers. "No no no, not THE reaper, A reaper. There's reaper law in pretty much every culture on earth, it goes by 100 different names, it's possible that there's more than one of them." I replied.
"But you said you saw a dude in a suit." Sam said.

"What, you think he shoulda been working the whole black robe thing?" I asked him and Sam shrugs at this. "You said it yourself that the clock stopped right? Reapers stop time. And you can only see 'em when they're coming at you which is why I could see it and both of you couldn't." I said. "Maybe." Sam said. "There's nothing else it could be Sam." I said.

"The question is how is Roy controlling the damn thing?" Dean asked. "That cross." Sam said. "What?" Dean and I asked. "There was this cross, I noticed it in the church and I knew I had seen it before." Sam said as he looks through some papers and snorts. He holds a card up to Dean and I. "Here." He said and Dean leans into take the card and I look over his shoulder.

"A Tarot?" Dean asked. "It makes sense. A tarot dates back to the early christian era right, when some priests were still using magic, and a few of them veered into the dark stuff. Necromancy and how to push death away, how to cause it?" Sam said. "So Roy's using black magic to bind the reaper?" I asked. "If he is he's riding the whirlwind. It's like putting a dog leash on a great white." Sam said and I run my hands over my face while Dean rises to put his cup in the sink, then leaning back against it.

"Ok then we stop Roy." He said. "How?" Sam and I asked. "You know how." Dean said as he looks between us. "Wait, what the hell are you talking about Dean, we can't kill Roy." I said to him. "(Y/n), the guy's playing God, he's deciding who lives and who dies. That's a monster in my book." Dean growls. "No. We're not going to kill a human being, Dean. We do that we're no better than he is." Sam said, firmly.

"Ok, we can't kill Roy, we can't kill death. Any bright ideas college boy?" Dean asked Sam. "Ok. uh...If Roy's using some kind of black spell on the reaper, we gotta...figure out what it is. And how to break it." Sam said and I nodded. "That's sounds like a better plan." I said.

The Impala bounces down the badly gravelled and potholed road again, passing a sign that says Service Today. We parked and exit the Impala. "If Roy's using a spell, there might be a spell book." Sam said and I nodded. "See if you can find it, Sam." I said as I look at my watch. "Hurry up too, the service starts in fifteen minutes. Dean and I'll try to stall Roy." I said and the boys nodded as a man holds a leaflet out to us.

"Roy LeGrange is a fraud. He's no healer." He said. "Amen Brother." Dean said as he takes the leaflet. "You keep up the good work." Sam said. "Thank you." The man said and Sam went one way while Dean and I headed in towards the tent.

Minutes later, we were walking, slowly, up the side aisle when my phone rings. "What have you got?" I asked after I answer my phone. "Roy's choosing victims he sees as immoral. And I think I know who's next on his list. Remember that protestor?" Sam said. "What, the guy in the parking lot??" I asked. "Yeah. Yeah, I'll find him. But you guys can't let Roy heal anyone, alright?" Sam said and I hang up the phone and explained to Dean what Sam found out as we move towards the front of the tent

"Liam. Liam Rourke. Come up here child." Roy said and the crowd bursts into pleased apapplause. Liam, stunned, looks around then rises to hug his mother. "Oh man." I said, disparagingly. "Ah, crap." Dean mutters under his breathe.

As Liam passes us, I grasp his arm. "Liam, listen to me. You can't go up there." I said to him. "Why not? We've waited for months!" Liam said, confused. "You can't let Roy heal you." Dean said, warningly, while Liam looked at him, slightly confused. "I don't understand, Roy healed you, (y/n), didn't he? Why can't you let him try?" Liam asked me. "Cause if you do, something bad is going to happen. We can't explain. I just need you to believe us." I said and we stare at each other.