The Benders

"I know you’re just doing your job, but the police have been here all week already. I don’t see why we have to go through this again. The more he tells the story, the more he believes it’s true." Mrs McKay said to us as Sam, Dean and I were now posing as state policemen. We came here cause a man had gone missing under suspicious circumstances and that Mrs McKay's son had seen what happened.

"Mrs. McKay, we know you spoke with the local authorities." I said as we take off of our hats. "But, uh, this seems like a matter for the state police, so…." Dean said, shrugging. "Don’t worry about how crazy it sounds, Evan. You just tell us what you saw." Sam said to the young boy.

"I was up late, watching TV. When I heard this weird noise." Evan explained. "What did it sound like?" I asked him. "It sounded like….a monster." He replied and the boys and I exchange a look. "Tell the officers what you were watching on TV." Mrs McKay said to him. "Um...Godzilla Vs. Mothra." Evan said and Dean smiles.

"That’s my favorite Godzilla movie. It’s so much better than the original, huh?" Dean said to Evan, excitedly. "Totally." Evan said, smiling. "Yeah." Dean said then he nods towards Sam. "He likes the remake." Dean said. "Yuck!" Evan said, disgusted, while I shake my head and Sam glares at Dean and clears his throat at him.

"Evan, did you see what this thing was?" I asked him. "No. But I saw it grab Mr. Jenkins. It pulled him underneath the car." Evan said. "Then what?" Sam asked him. "It took him away. I heard the monster leaving. It made this really scary sound." Evan said.
"What did it sound like, Evan?" I asked him. "Like this…whining growl." He replied and Sam, Dean and I exchange another look. "Thanks for your time." Sam said to them and we walk out.

That night at Kugel’s Keg, Sam and I were having a beer at a table, doing  some research while Dean was throwing darts. "So, local police have now ruled out foul play. Apparently, there were signs of a struggle." Sam said. "Well, they could be right, it could just be a kidnapping. Maybe this isn’t our kind of gig." Dean said, shrugging. "Yeah, maybe not. Except for this—Dad marked the area, Dean." Sam said and Dean comes to the table and looks at their father’s journal. 

"Possible hunting grounds of a phantom attacker." Sam said. "Why would he even do that?" Dean asked. "Well, he found a lot of local folklore about a dark figure that comes out at night. Grabs people, then vanishes. He found this too—this county has more missing persons per capita than anywhere else in the state." I said. "That is weird." Dean mutters. "Yeah." Sam and I said.

"Don’t phantom attackers usually snatch people from their beds? Jenkins was taken from a parking lot." Dean said. "Well, there are all kinds. You know, Spring Heeled Jacks, phantom gassers. They take people anywhere, anytime. Look, guys, I don’t know if this is our kind of gig either." Sam said. "Yeah, you’re right, we should ask around more tomorrow." I said and Sam nods. "Right." He said as he takes out his wallet.

"I saw a motel about five miles back." He said and Dean holds a hand out. "Whoa, whoa, easy. Let’s have another round." He said to Sam. "We should get an early start." Sam said. "Ah, c'mon, Sammy." I pleaded. "Yeah, you really know how to have fun, don’t you, Grandma?" Dean asked and Sam smiles. "Alright, I’ll meet you guys outside, I gotta take a leak." Dean said and he grabs his coat and heads to the bathroom. Sam and I gather up his research then I turn to Sam. "I'm gonna use the bathroom too. Meet you outside." I said and Sam nods as I hand him his stuff and I head to the bathroom.

Minutes later, I walk out of the bar and see Dean by the car looking around, confused. "Dean?" I said as I walk up to him. "What's wrong?" I asked him. "Sam's not here. He left his stuff on the hood." Dean said. "He's not in the car?" I asked him and he shakes his head and begins to walk around the parking lot and I join him.