Shadow

Dean stops the car across the street and the three of us get out, all of us dressed as employees for the alarm system company. Dean gets a toolbox from the trunk of the car, and we proceed towards the apartment. "All right, boys. This is the place." I said as I push back a loose strand of hair out of my face.

"You know, I’ve gotta say Dad and me did just fine without these stupid costumes. I feel like a high school drama dork." Dean grumbles then he smiles and looks over at Sam. "What was that play that you did? What was it – Our Town. Yeah, you were good, it was cute." He jokes and Sam sighs.
"Look, you wanna pull this off or not?" He asked.

"I’m just sayin’, these outfits cost hard-earned money, okay?" Dean said.

"Whose?" Sam asked. "Ours. You think credit card fraud is easy?" Dean asked and I shake my head. "You know, if you're that worried about money, you could always ask me. I've still got some cash, from my inheritance, left." I said and Dean shakes his head.

"No I couldn't do that. That's your money." Dean said.

"Well, offer still stands." I said as we approach the apartment.

"Thanks for lettin’ us look around." Sam said to the landlady as we enter the room. "Well, the police said they were done with the place, so…." She said as her and Sam move further into the room. Dean shuts the apartment door after us and I notice the chain on the door is broken then point it out to Dean, who nods.

We follow Sam and the landlady to the living room, where we see spots of blood covering the carpet. "You guys said you were with the alarm company?" The lady asked us. "That’s right." Dean replied.

"Well, no offense, but your alarm’s about as useful as boobs on a man." She said and I snort out a laugh while Dean and Sam exchange a look. "Well, that’s why we’re here. To see what went wrong and stop it from happening again." I said to her.

"Now, ma’am, you found the body?" Sam asked her.

"Yeah." She replied

"Right after it happened?" I asked.

"No. Few days later. Meredith’s work called—she hadn’t shown up. I knocked on the door. That’s when I noticed the smell." The landlady replied.

"Any windows open? Any sign of break-in?" Dean asked. "No, windows were locked, front door was bolted. Chain was on the door, we had to cut it just to get in." She replied and I nod, that explains why the chain was broken. "And the alarm was still on?" Dean asked her. "Like I said, bang-up job your company’s doin’." She remarks.

"You see any overturned furniture, broken glass, signs of struggle?" I asked he landlady and she shakes her head. "Everything was in perfect condition—except Meredith." She replied.

"And what condition was Meredith in?" Sam asked her. "Meredith was all over. In pieces. The guy who killed her must have been some kind of a whackjob. But I tell you, if I didn’t know any better, I’d have said a wild animal did it." She said and Dean looks over at me and Sam.

"Ma’am, do you mind if we take some time? Give this place a once-over?" Sam asked her. "Oh, well, go right ahead. Knock yourself out." She said and she walks out of the room

Dean then opens his toolbox and removes the EMF meter. "So, a killer walks in and out of the apartment—no weapons, no prints, nothin’." Dean said. "I’m tellin’ ya, the minute I found that article, I knew this was our kind of gig." I said as the EMF meter beeps frantically. "I think I agree with you." Dean said.

"So, you talked to the cops?" Sam asked as Dean walks around the room and I follow him. "Uh, yeah. I spoke to Amy, a, uh, charming, perky officer of the law." He said and I could see he had a smile on his face.
"Yeah? What’d you find out?" Sam asked him.