Bugs

Sam and I were reading a newspaper article about this guy named Dustin, who died in very suspicious manner, when Dean comes outside, laughing and waving a wad of cash in the air. "You know, we could get day jobs once in a while." Sam remarked. "Hunting's our day job. And the pay is crap." Dean said. "Ain't that the truth." I grumbled as I look over the article. "Yeah, but hustling pool? Credit card scams? It's not the most honest thing in the world, guys." Sam said.

"Well, let's see honest." Dean said as he holds out one hand. "Fun and easy." He holds out the other, and gestures that fun and easy outweighs honest. "It's no contest. Besides, we're good at it. It's what we were raised to do." Dean said to Sam. "Yeah, well, how we were raised was jacked." Sam said and Dean shrugs. "Yeah, says you." He said then he looks over at me. "We got a new gig or what?" He asked me and I rolled my eyes. "Maybe. Oasis Plains, Oklahoma - not far from here. A gas company employee, Dustin Burwash, supposedly died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob." I said and Dean gives me a confused look.

"Human mad cow disease." Sam clears up. "Mad cow. Wasn't that on Oprah?" Dean asked and I looked over at him. "You watch Oprah?" I asked and Dean, with a look of embarrassment, can't think of anything to say. "So this guy eats a bad burger. Why is it our kind of thing?" Dean asked, changing the subject.

"Mad cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for the damage to appear. But this guy, Dustin? Sounds like his brain disintegrated in about an hour. Maybe less." Sam explains as I nod with him. "Okay, that's weird." Dean said. "Yeah. Now, it could be a disease. Or it could be somethin' much nastier." I said. "All right. Oklahoma." He said and we get into the car. "Man. Work, work, work. No time to spend my money." Dean grumbles as he starts to car. "But seriously...you watch Oprah?" I asked him as we drive off.

Dean pulls up to the gas and power company then we get out of the car as we see a man standing outside. "Travis Weaver?" I called to him and he turns to us. "Yeah, that's right." He said, looking at us confused. "Are you the Travis who worked with Uncle Dusty?" Dean asked him.

"Dustin never mentioned nephews or a niece." Travis said. "Oh, I'm actually his girlfriend." I said, quickly grabbing Sam's arm. Sam looks over at me but I give him a look that says go with it. He smiles and places an arm around my shoulder and holds me to his side. "Anyway, their uncle always mentioned you. He said you were the greatest." I said as Sam said. "Yeah."

"Oh, he did? Huh." Travis said while I noticed Dean's eyes were narrowed as he looks at Sam and I. I raise an eyebrow at him then he let's out a sigh then turns to Travis. "Listen, we wanted to ask you... what exactly happened out there?" He asked and Travis looks down for a moment. "I'm not sure. He fell in a sinkhole, I went to the truck to get some rope, and, uh... by the time I got back..." he stops and swallows.

"What did you see?" I asked him. "Nothin'. Just Dustin." Travis replied as he looks up at us. "No wounds or anything?" Sam asked. "Well, he was bleeding... from his eyes and his ears, his nose. But that's it." Travis replied as he looks between the three of us.

"So you think it could be this whole mad cow thing?" I asked him, curiously. "I don't know. That's what the doctors are sayin'." Travis said, shrugging. "But if it was, he would've acted strange beforehand, like dementia, loss of motor control. You ever notice anything like that?" Sam asked him. "No. No way. But then again, if it wasn't some disease, what the hell was it?" Travis asked as he looks between us.

"That's a good question." Dean said as Sam takes his arm off of me. "You know, can you tell us where this happened?" Sam asked as he walks up to Travis. "Yeah." Travis said, nodding.

A while later, we arrive at the scene of Dustin's death. The sinkhole is surrounded by police tape. "Huh. What do you think?" Dean asked as we look at the sinkhole. "I don't know. But if that guy, Travis, was right, it happened pretty damn fast." Sam said and we duck under the police tape and look into the hole with a flashlight.