Swan Song

On April 21, 1967, the 100 millionth GM vehicle rolled off the line at the plant in Janesville – a blue two-door Caprice.

There was a big ceremony, speeches. The lieutenant governor even showed up. Three days later, another car rolled off that same line. No one gave two craps about her. But they should have, because this 1967 Chevrolet Impala would turn out to be the most important car – no, the most important object – in pretty much the whole universe.

She was first owned by Sal Moriarty, an alcoholic with two ex-wives and three blocked arteries. On weekends, he'd drive around giving Bibles to the poor "gettin' folks right for Judgment Day." That's what he said. Sam, Dean and (y/n) don't know any of this, but if they did, I bet they'd smile.

After Sal died, she ended up at Rainbow Motors, a used-car lot in Lawrence, where a young marine bought her on impulse. That is, after a little advice from a friend. I guess that's where this story begins.

And here's where it ends.

Sam was sitting on the hood of the Impala drinking a beer in Bobby's salvage yard, when Dean and I come over to join him. "Hey." Sam greeted as Dean takes a couple beers out of a cooler, hands me one and leans against the Impala, being unusually quiet. 

"Guys? What's going on?" Sam asked, worried. "I'm in." Dean said. "In with...?" Sam asked, confused. "The whole 'up with Satan' thing. I'm on board." Dean said. "You're gonna let me say yes?" Sam asked, surprised. "No. That's the thing. It's not on me to let you do anything. You're a grown...well, overgrown...man. If this is what you want, I'll back your play." Dean said. "That's the last thing I thought you'd ever say." Sam said.

"Might be. I'm not gonna lie to you, though. It goes against every fiber I got. I mean, truth is...You know, watching out for you...it's kinda been my job, you know? But more than that, it's...it's kinda who I am. You're not a kid anymore, Sam, and I can't keep treating you like one. Maybe I got to grow up a little, too. I don't know if we got a snowball's chance. But...But I do know that if anybody can do it...it's you." Dean explained.

"Thank you." Sam said, grateful to hear such words from his brother. "If this is what you want...Is this really what you want?" Dean asked. "I let him out. I got to put him back in." Sam replied, Dean looks away. "Okay. That's it, then." He said, in a remorseful tone, then Sam looks over at me.

"What about you, (y/n)?" He asked me and I sigh. "Honestly, Sam...I don't like it. But...you are your own man and if you say you can control the devil and put yourself and Lucifer back in the cage, then I trust you. I'm standing by you." I said and Sam smiles at me. "Thanks, (y/n)." He said and I nod at him then we continue drinking our beers in silent.

Later, Sam and Castiel fill up jugs with demon blood. A dead demon hanged upside down over a devil's trap and Sam wipes blood off a large knife, while Castiel puts the lid on a jug of blood. Dean stands next to me, looking so conflicted of what is happening, and I reach out and take his hand in mine then run my thumb over his knuckle, to give him some sort've comfort. 

We exit the building, Sam and Castiel carrying the gallon jugs of blood then they put them in the trunk of the Impala, while Dean and I walk over to Bobby. "I still can't get used to you at eye level." I said to him.

"So, was I right?" Bobby asked. "As always, Yoda. Two stunt demons inside, just like you said." Dean replied. "Did you get it?" Bobby asked. "Yeah, all the 'go juice' Sammy can drink." Dean said, while I sigh and look away.

"You both okay?" Bobby asked, I shake my head. "Not really. What do you got?" Dean asked. "Not much. These look like omens to you?" Bobby asked, handing Dean a newspaper. I lean closer to Dean to read the paper with him.