Red Sky At Morning

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, right. What's your angle?" I asked her.

"There's no angle. There's a lot of lovely old women like Gert up and down the eastern seaboard. I sell them charms, perform séances so they can commune with their dead cats." Bela said.

"And let me guess, it's all a con." Dean sneered. "The comfort I provide them is very real." She said.

"How do you sleep at night?" Sam asked her. "On silk sheets, rolling naked in money. Really, Sam. I'd expect the attitude from him or from her, but you?" Bela said, curiously. "You shot me!" Sam yelled at her. "I barely grazed you." She said and Sam glares at her while Dean shrugs a bit.

"Cute. But a bit of a drama queen, yeah?" Bela said to Dean. "You do know what's going on around here. This ghost-ship thing, it is real." I said to her. "I'm aware. Thanks for telling Gert the case wasn't solved, by the way." Bela said, annoyed.

"It isn't." Dean said.

"She didn't know that. Now the old bag's stopped payment and she's demanding some real answers. Look...just stay out of my way before you cause any more trouble. I'd get to that car if I were you...before they find the arsenal in the trunk. Ciao." She said and she leaves.

"Can I shoot her?" I asked the boys as my fist clench and I glare after her. "Not in public." Sam mutters to me. "Damn it." I growled.

The next day, after hearing about another drowning, the boys and I approach the victim's house, all three of us wearing suits. There we see a man talking to Bela, who was pretending to be a reporter. As we got closer, we heard the man mention that his brother, the victim, had saw a ship before he died.

We walk up to Bela and we flash our badges. "Ma'am, I think this man's been through quite enough. You should go." Dean said. "But I just have a few more questions." Bela said and I shake my head. "No, you don't." I said and she glares at us then turns to the man. "Thank you for your time." She said and she walks off.

"Sorry you had to deal with that. They're like roaches." Dean said to the man. "So, we heard you say your brother saw a ship." Sam said and the guy nods. "Yeah, that's right." The man, Mr Warren, said.

"Did he tell you what it looked like?" Dean asked him. "It was, uh...like the old Yankee clippers. A smuggling vessel. The rakish topsail, a barkentine rigging. Angel figurehead on the bow." He said. "That's a lot of detail for a ship your brother saw." I noted.

"My brother and I were night diving. I saw the ship, too." Mr Warren said and I turn my head and noticed Bela is talking to the real uniforms and pointing in our direction. I was really beginning to hate this bitch. I turn to the boys and nudge them and nod towards Bela. "All right. Well, we'll be in touch." Dean said to Mr Warren. "Thank you." Sam and I said and we leave.

Later, we were loading shotguns at the trunk of the Impala, when we heard footsteps behind us. "I see you got your car back." Bela said. "You really want to come near me when I got a loaded gun in my hands?" Dean asked her, angrily. "Now, now. Mind your blood pressure." She said to him and he glares at her.

"Why are you even still here? You have enough to I.D. the boat." Bela said as I close the trunk and walk around the car.

"That guy back there, saw the ship." Sam said to her. "Yeah? And?" Bela asked, not understanding. "Do we have to spell it out for you? He's going to die, so we have to save him." I said, annoyed. "How sweet." She said, smiling.

"You think this is funny?" Dean asked her. "He's cannon fodder. He can't be saved in time, and you know it." She said. "Yeah, well, see, we have souls, so we're gonna try." Dean sneered at her.

"Well, I'm actually going to find the ship and put an end to this. But you have fun." She said and I turn and walk up to her.

"Hey, Bela, how'd you get like this, huh? What, did daddy not give you enough hugs or something?" I asked her, snidely. "I don't know. Your daddy give you enough?" She spat back at me and I clench my jaw in anger, I could feel my blood boiling.

"Don't you dare look down your nose at me. You're not better than I am." She said. "We help people." Dean said. "Come on. You do this out of vengeance and obsession. You're a stone's throw from being a serial killer. Whereas I, on the other hand, I get paid to do a job and I do it. So, you tell me - which is healthier?" She asked.

"Bela, why don't you just leave? We've got work to do." Sam said, annoyed and exasperated. "Yeah. You're 0 for 2. Bang-up job so far." She said and she leaves. "You sure I can't shoot her? I have a clear shot." I said to the boys as we watch her leave. "As much as we would love for that to happen, can't let you." Sam said and I sighed and we get into the car.

That night, we were staking out Mr Warren's house and Sam was doing research. "Anything good?" Dean asked Sam. "No, not really. I mean, both brothers are Duke University grads. No criminal record. I mean, a few speeding tickets. They inherited their father's real estate fortune six years ago." Sam said.

"How much?" I asked him. "$112 million." Sam replied and Dean whistled. "Damn." I muttered, astonished. "Nice life." Dean said. "Yeah. I mean, nice, clean, aboveboard. So why did they see the ship? Why Sheila, too? What do they all have in common?" Sam asked.

"Maybe nothing." Dean said, shrugging. "No. There's always something." Sam said.

"Hey, you!" A voice shouted and we look up and see Mr Warren walking out of his house and onto his walkway. "I think we've been made." Dean said and we get out of the car and approach him. "What are you guys doing?! You watching me?" Mr Warren asked us. "Sir, calm down. Please." I said to him.

"You guys aren't cops! Not dressed like that. Not - not in that crappy car." He shouts at us. "Whoa, hey. No need to get nasty." Dean said to him. "We are cops, okay? We're undercover. We're here because we think you're in danger." Sam said.

"From who?!" Mr Warren asked us. "If you just settle down, we'll talk about it." I said to him. "Look, you guys just stay away from me!" He shouts and he turns and walks away. But as we start to get closer to his gate he runs to his car.

"Wait." Sam shouts.

"Stop!" I said as he gets into his car.

"Hey, you moron! We're trying to help you!" Dean shouts as Mr Warren starts to drive off. But before he makes it to the gate, the car shudders and dies. "That can't be good." Dean said. "No. Get the salt gun." Sam said and Dean runs back to the Impala as Sam and I dash to help.

"Peter!" Sam shouts as we make it to the car but he doesn't respond. We make it to the driver's side window and see the spirit in the passenger seat, glaring straight at us. Dean arrives on the other side and aims the salt gun at the spirit.

"Guys!" Dean shouts and we duck as Dean fires. The spirit disappears, and Sam yanks the door open. He pulls Peter back and checks for a pulse, but after a few seconds his shoulders slump and he shakes his head at Dean. Dean kicks the door in frustration and I slammed my fist on top of the roof in annoyance.