"Nope. Who are they?" He asked. "Friends of ours. They went missing about a year ago. They passed through somewhere around here, and we’ve already asked around Scottsburg and Salem—" I said and Scotty shakes his head. "Sorry." He said as he hands the flyers back to Dean. "We don’t get many strangers around here." He said and Dean and I nod.

"Scotty, you’ve got a smile that lights up a room, anybody ever tell you that?" Dean compliments, which makes Scotty stare at him with a strange look. I try to hide a chuckle as Dean said "Never mind. See you around." Then we walk away.

"You sure they didn’t stop for gas or something?" Dean asked a young man, Harley, as we show the pictures to a girl, Stacy. Stacy shakes her head as Harley said. "Nope, don’t remember ‘em. You said they were friends of yours?"

"That’s right." I said as another girl, who introduced herself as Emily earlier, comes downstairs carrying some boxes. "Did the guy have a tattoo?" She asked us. "Yes, he did." Dean replied while Emily puts the boxes on the counter and looks at the picture of Vince. Then she turns to Harley and Stacy. "You remember? They were just married." She said and Harley gasps.

"You’re right. They did stop for gas. Weren’t here more than ten minutes." Harley said. "You remember anything else?" I asked them. "I told ‘em how to get back to the Interstate. They left town." Harley replied. "Could you point us in that same direction?" Dean asked. "Sure." Harley replied.

Dean was driving by the orchard when we heard a noise coming from the backseat. "What the hell?" I said and Dean pulls over while I reach into his bag. I pull out the EMF meter, which is beeping frantically, which made us share a look.

We began walking around until we saw a scarecrow on its post. We walk over to it and look at it for a second. "Dude, you're fugly." Dean remarks then he notices something. "What's up?" I asked and I looked at what he was looking and saw a sickle in the scarecrow’s hand and a design on its arm. Dean takes a ladder from a nearby tree and climbs to the top so that he is eye level with the scarecrow.

He was staring at it, intently, until I raise my hands and grab his leg just as I said. "Boo!" He jumps then glares at me. "Damn it, (y/n)!" He growls at me and I start to laugh. "Worth it." I said, laughing, and he rolls his eyes then growls under his breath as he moves the scarecrow's clothing and looks at it. He looks down at me and said. "Hand me Vince's flyer." I pull out the flyer and hand it to him. "What did you find?" I asked him as he looks at the picture theh at the scarecrow. "Nice tat." He mutters then he turns to me. "This scarecrow has the same tattoo as Vince." Dean informed me and my eyes widen a bit.

Later, we pull up to the gas station and get out of the car. Emily was standing by the gas pumps. "You two are back." She said to us. "Never left." Dean replied. "Still looking for your friends?" Emily asked and Dean and I nod then he and I notice her nameplate necklace. "You mind fillin’ her up there, Emily?" He asked. She grabs a pump and starts filling up the tank. 

"So, you grew up here?" I asked her. "I came here when I was thirteen. I lost my parents. Car accident. My aunt and uncle took me in." She replied. "They’re nice people." Dean said. "Everybody’s nice here." Emily said. "So, what, it’s the, uh, perfect little town?" Dean asked. "Well, you know, it’s the boonies. But I love it. I mean, the towns around us, people are losing their homes, their farms. But here, it’s almost like we’re blessed." Emily said and we nod.

"Hey, you been out to the orchard? You seen that scarecrow?" I asked her. "Yeah, it creeps me out." She replied, making Dean and I laugh. "Whose is it?" He asked her. "I don’t know. It’s just always been there." Emily said, shrugging.

Then I notice a parked red van by the garage. "That your aunt and uncle’s?" I asked Emily. "Customer. Had some car troubles." Emily replied. "It’s not a couple, is it? A guy and a girl?" I asked and she nods. "Mmhmm." She said, making Dean and I share a concern look.

We walk back to Scotty's Cafe and see a couple sitting at a table while Scotty talking to then. "Oh, hey, Scotty. Can we get a coffee, black?" I asked, sweetly, and Scotty walks away to get it. "Oh, and some of that pie, too, while you’re at it." Dean said as we sits at a table next to the couple. 'How ya doin’?" Dean asked them. The couple wave and smile at us.

"Just passing through?" I asked them. "Road trip." The girl replied. "Hm. Yeah, us too." Dean said and they nod while Scotty walks over to refill their drinks. "I’m sure these people want to eat in peace." Scotty said as he looks over at us with suspicion. "Just a little friendly conversation." I said and Scottu walks away. "Oh, and that coffee, too, man. Thanks." Dean calls out and I could tell Scotty was getting agitated.

"So, what brings you to town?" I asked the couple. "We just stopped for gas. And, uh, the guy at the gas station saved our lives." The girl replied. "Is that right?" Dean asked with intrigue. "Yeah, one of our brake lines was leaking. We had no idea. He was fixing it for us." The man said. "Nice people." Dean and I said, concerned. "Yeah." The man said.

"So, how long till you’re up and runnin’?" Dean asked them. "Sundown." The man replied. "Really." Dean said and I think about it for a minute before I turn to the couple. "To fix a brake line?" I asked them and the man nods. "You know, I know a thing or two about cars. I could probably have you up and running in about an hour. I wouldn’t charge you anything." Dean said to the couple. "You know, thanks a lot, but I think we’d rather have a mechanic do it." The girl replied.

"Sure. I know." He said. "You know, it’s just that these roads. They’re not real safe at night." I said and the couple exchange a look. "I’m sorry?" The girl asked me. "We know it sounds strange, but, uh—you might be in danger." Dean said, warningly. "Look, we’re trying to eat. Okay?" The man said, annoyed. "Yeah." Dean said as he looks down, disappointed. "You know, my brother could give you this puppy dog look, and you’d just buy right into it." Dean said as the bell above the café door jingles. 

I look up and my eyes widen as a cop comes in while Scottu comes out from the back. "Thanks for coming, Sheriff." Scotty said while Dean has a nervous look and I become frustrated. Scotty whispers something in the sheriff’s ear, and they both look at me and Dean, both of us looks away.

But the sheriff walks over to us. "Damn it." I whispered. "I’d like a word, please." The sheriff said to us. "Come on. We're having a bad day already." Dean said as he gestures between me and him. "You know what would make it worse?" The sheriff asked and Dean and I nod slowly.

Later, the sheriff was following us in Dean's car, making sure Dean and I leave the town. When we leave, the sheriff turns around and drives back to Burkittsville. "Well, now what?" I asked Dean as we drive on. "Oh, we're going back." Dean said. "Are you nuts, Rambo?! We could get in trouble with the cops! And I don't know about you but....going to jail is not on my bucket list." I said. 

"Those two are in danger, we have to save them." Dean said and I sighed and nodded. "You're right....you're right." I said. "Damn right, I'm right." Dean said and I rolled my eyes. "Okay, let's not boost your ego anymore than it already is." I said and I hear him chuckle a bit.

That night, we make our way back into the town and make it back to the fields where that creepy scarecrow was at. Finally, we see that red van on the side of the road and Dean parks and we get out, grab our weapons and start to make our way into the field.

Moments later, we see them and run over to them and they stop once they see us. "Get back to your car." Dean told them. The couple look behind them and we see the scarecrow coming towards them. "Go! Go!" I shouted and rhe couple runs away. Dean and I cock our guns and we shoot the scarecrow, which stumbles but keeps walking.

"Crap." I muttered, annoyed, as we begin running. We cock our guns again, and shoot. Again, the scarecrow keeps going. Dean and I try one more time, but the scarecrow keeps moving.

"Go! Go!" Dean and I shout at the couple as we began running. Finally, the four of us reach the clearing and Dean and I cock our guns and look around, but the scarecrow was gone.

"What—what the hell was that?" The guy asked, panting. "Don’t ask." Dean and I replied at the same time as we looked around.