Burn - Smaug (request)

Start from the beginning

The intruders had split into two groups and you followed one as Smaug followed the other. You managed to snatch one of them up with your talons as you reached two more with your flames before they entered a crack neither you nor your fire could breach, you heard a roar. You excited the largest chamber, trying to find the source of the sound. It turned out in one of the smaller halls, where the dwarves had apparently tried to drown Smaug into molten gold. The liquid metal was still moving slightly, and you let out a humming laugh.
"What was your plan here?" You couldn't keep the mockery out of your tone.
"We wanted to kill him." You let out an amused huff. The dwarves looked at you with empty eyes as you surveyed the situation, turning your head in the direction your mate had gone, judging by the splatters of gold on the ground. He was headed for Laketown.

You yanked your head around when a shriek rang through the air.
"NO!" Before the dwarves even realized it, you had turned and exited the mountain and were on your way to Laketown. Dread was filling your chest, and when you saw your mate on the ground, you nearly fell out of the sky. You landed clumsily next to him with a crash, breathing fire into the nearby trees and buildings, getting rid of all possible pests hiding in them. You lowered your body to rest next to his and reached with your teeth to get the metal out of him. Smaug pushed your head away with his snout, the effort of moving his head made his tail twitch and it fell to the ground with a loud thud.
"No." You whispered, laying down next to him and pushing your forehead to his. He let out a shuddering, low sound, pressing his head tighter onto yours, your scales rubbing together.

You intertwined your tail with his and pulled them to rest between you as you huffed sadly, pressing your body to his. To your horror, the warmth of it was quickly disappearing, and you wailed in desperation.
"They only had one arrow." Smaug spluttered out, blood dripping out from his mouth with his words, and you stared at the piece of metal that was taking your mate away from you with the utmost hate you could gather in your sorrow.
"You'll be safe." He brushed your head with him, his tongue traveling along your skin gently. You tried to memorize the feeling as you leaned even closer to him, dread filling you as his side was almost cool now.
"I don't want to be safe if this is the price." You yowled, yanking your tail free from his and knocking down pines as it swished around.
"You'll both be safe now." His eyes started to close, and you felt his tail sliding on your stomach. You pressed your head to him tightly, locking your horns together.
"I love you."
"I love you. Both of you." His tail went limp and you felt power surging in you. You knew he was gone, and you raised yourself onto your hind legs, opening your wings and crying your anguish to the night sky. You wanted every living thing to hear your pain.

Turning to look at the body of your dead loved one, you yanked the arrow out of him with a sharp move and threw it on the ground. You licked Smaug's eyes completely closed and moved his tail around him and arranged his wings so he almost looked like he was sleeping. You turned your head away from your mate as the sight of him dead still hurt, and you aimed your attention at the arrow. The cursed arrow. Allowing the fire to surge into your throat, you felt the power of two dragons spew out and watched the arrow twist as it melted into a puddle of molten metal. You brushed your tail along your stomach, humming to the egg slightly.
"Don't worry little one, we will avenge his death." Anger and grief fought inside of you, and in the end, grief won, and you cried again into the sky, your whole body resonating. In your moment of absolute grief, it brought you slight comfort that Smaug had truly loved you. His firepower wouldn't have shifted to you if he hadn't and you felt it deep inside you, burning in your chest.

When your cry finally died down, the wellings sadness inside you was replaced by burning rage. You yanked your head around to look at the mountain, growling as you saw that there were fires now burning on the mountain. The dwarves were celebrating their victory, probably thinking that you would crawl away now that your mate was dead. You let out a deep chuckle that puffed smoke out of your nostrils and turned your head, looking past the mountain.
"You take my kin, Oakenshield, I take yours." You vowed in your head, giving Smaug's head one last affectionate brush with yours before you took flight. You flew over Laketown a few times, breathing fire into the last remaining buildings that had survived your mate's rage, making sure nothing moved. When you flew over the mountain, you could hear the dwarves cheering, clearly thinking that they had won the mountain. But the battle was only just beginning.

- - -

Thorin had sent the raven to Dain the moment he saw the elven army in Dale. But what he received was not an army, but a tattered group of dwarves, distressed. The company was shocked, looking at the ragged band of their kin, all huddled together. This was far from the mighty army they were expecting.
"A dragon, Thorin! Attached us without a warning!" Dain's voice carried far in the clear evening.
"There are no dragons in Middle earth now that Smaug is dead!" Thranduil yelled, gesturing his army to be ready to attack the dwarves, but a deep, purring laugh sounded.
"That is where you are wrong, elfling." You glided out of the clouds, making the dwarves huddle together into a tight group, screaming in terror.
"There are indeed still dragons in Middle earth." You growled, ignoring the arrows pelting your skin. They were irritating, but couldn't harm you anyway. Nothing could harm you, you had melted the last black arrow. And new ones hadn't been made in generations. You stayed in the air, your wings beating the air, making it nearly impossible to stand for the people that were air currents created by you.
"You took my family away from me, Oakenshield." You hummed, allowing the warmth of your fire to spread in your chest.
"Now watch me take yours." You could hear a chorus of shrieks, 'nos', and yells sounded from around you when you opened your mouth and allowed the fire to spew out.

The ground shook and crackled in the heat as your fire hit it and you kept the plume going until you were out of breath. When you snapped your mouth shut, there was a deafening silence that was broken when you landed with force, making the trees around you shake. You walked to the mountain, your head held high, only stopping to hiss at the elven forces who were still pelting your hide with arrows. When they saw the glow of your throat, the king ordered them to halt their fire. You huffed and turned towards the mountain.
"Oakenshield, I give you and your rats two options. Flee or burn." You growled, the fire in your chest spreading again. Nothing happened for a moment. Then, a spear appeared from the mountain and hit you in the chest. It did no damage, it just made a bright sound as it hit your scales. You let out a satisfied hum. Burn it is. You opened your jaws, and the spear they threw toward your mouth melted in the flames before it even got close. You allowed your flames to roast the upper side of the exit. You added more power to your breath as you took a step forward, and for a moment, you could feel Smaug at your side.

Bilbo, Balin, Ori, and Gloin were the survivors that made it out of the mountain alive in the end.

While I was writing this and listening to a soundtrack compilation from YouTube, a part of the Hobbit soundtrack started playing! Gave a nice boost to my writing speed!

Only a few more requests to finish before I open requests!

ALSO: I always wondered what the hell the dwarves were planning the gold would do to Smaug? It wouldn't harden fast enough to trap him, plus the whole issue of him sinking into it is against the laws of physics... It won't harm him; it's hot, yes but I think dragons (or fire-drakes) are pretty good at dealing with heat? So what was their goal? To make a really pretty golden floor? I would love to hear your ideas/thoughts on the matter. I don't want to stir hate towards the movies, they're great, but I have just always wondered WHY and HOW