After the service, the boys and I make our way over to Lori. "Are you Lori?" I asked her. "Yeah." She said as she looks between the three of us. "My name is (y/n). This is Sam and his brother brother, Dean." I introduced as I gesture towards the boys. "Hi." The boys said as Dean waves at her.

"We just transferred here to the university." Sam said and she nods. "I saw you inside." She said. "We don’t wanna bother you. We just heard about what happened and..." Sam started to say but Dean talks over her. "We wanted to say how sorry we were." Dean said. "I kind of know what you’re going through. I-I saw someone..get hurt once. It’s something you don’t forget." Sam said and Lori nods slightly as the Reverend walks up to us.

"Dad, um, this is (y/n), Sam and Dean. They’re new students." Lori introduced and Dean shakes the reverend’s hand. "It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir. I must say, that was an inspiring sermon." Dean said. "Thank you very much. It’s so nice to find young people who are open to the Lord’s message." He said and Dean chuckles.

"Listen, uh, we’re new in town, actually." Dean said and leads the Reverend away from Sam, Lori and I. "And, uh, we were looking for a, um, a church group." He said before they leave then Sam and I turn to Lori. "Tell us, Lori. What are the police saying?" Sam asked her as we walk with her. "Well, they don’t have a lot to go on. I think they blame me for that." She said.

"What do you mean?" I asked her. "My story. I was so scared, I guess I was seeing things." She said and we stop walking. "That doesn’t mean it wasn’t real." Sam said and him and Lori look at each other for a few seconds then she starts to explain it to us.

"So you guys believe her?" Dean asked us as we come up to the library. "I do." Sam said. "Yeah, I think she’s hot, too." Dean said and I roll my eyes. "No, man, there’s something in her eyes. And listen to this: she heard scratching on the roof. Found the bloody body suspended upside down over the car." I said to him, slightly annoyed. "Wait, the body suspended? That sounds like the—" Dean said and I nod as Sam said. "Yeah, I know, the Hook Man legend."

"That’s one of the most famous urban legends ever. You don’t think that we’re dealing with the Hook Man." Dean said and shrug. "Every urban legend has a source. A place where it all began." I said to him. "Yeah, but what about the phantom scratches and the tire punctures and the invisible killer?" Dean asked. "Well, maybe the Hook Man isn’t a man at all. What if it’s some kind of spirit?" Sam suggested.

Later, we were at a table in the library when the librarian places a few big boxes in front of us. "Here you go. Arrest records going back to 1851." She said as Dean blows some dust off a box and coughs. "Thanks." He said to her. "Ok." She said and she walks away.

"So, this is how you spent four good years of your life, huh?" Dean asked Sam. "Welcome to higher education." Sam said and we begin reading.

"Hey, check this out. 1862." I said, hours after looking through the books. "A preacher named Jacob Karns was arrested for murder. Looks like he was so angry over the red light district in town that one night he killed 13 prostitutes. Uh, right here, some of the deceased were found in their bed, sheets soaked with blood. Others suspended upside down from the limbs of trees as a warning against sins of the flesh." I read to them and Dean looks at another page. 

"Get this, the murder weapon? Looks like the preacher lost his hand in an accident. Had it replaced with a silver hook." He said and Sam points to another page. "Look where all this happened." He said and Dean and I read it. "9 Mile Road." Dean and I said in unison. "Same place where the frat boy was killed." Sam said and I smiled and patted his shoulder as Dean looks at him, impressed. "Nice job, Dr. Venkmen. Let’s check it out." Dean said and we gather all the research and we leave.

We drive up to 9 Mile Road and get out of the car. Dean opens the trunk and hands Sam and I a rifle. "Here you go." He said. "If it is a spirit, buckshot won’t do much good." Sam said. "Yeah, rock salt." Dean said and he hands it to us. "Huh. Salt being a spirit deterrent." Sam said as Dean takes out a coil of rope and shuts the trunk. "Yeah. It won’t kill ‘em. But it’ll slow ‘em down." I said and we start walking towards the trees.

"That’s pretty good. You guys, Dad and Mr (l/n) think of this?" Sam asked us. "I told you. You don’t have to be a college graduate to be a genius." Dean said and I roll my eyes when we hear noises among the trees and stop walking. Sam raises his gun and looks around.

"Over there. Over there." I whispered and the boys aim their guns and cocks it. A figure comes out from behind the trees but it is a sheriff. "Put the gun down now! Now! Put your hands behind your head." He ordered us. "W-w-wait, okay, okay!" Dean shouts. "Now get down on your knees. Come on, do it! On your knees!"  The officer orders again and we get down. "Now get down on your bellies. Come on, do it!" The officer said and we lay down. "They had the guns!" Dean shouts and I look over at Dean. "Oh gee, thanks for throwing us under the bus." I grumble towards him.