Chapter 99

"Hey, Sakura. How's your wound?  You okay?" Naruto asked. "I'm fine. That's the least of our worries. Just keep going." Sakura said. Those Rain Village ninja, you mean." Sasuke said. "Ha. Are you kidding? Those wimps? We can handle them." Naruto said. "It wasn't us I was thinking of. What if they're headed towards Idate at this very moment?" Sakura asked. "Woah. He might be in danger. Of course he's in danger. That's just what I'm saying." Sakura said.

"Ack!" Naruto yelled as he went under water. "Gah!" He kept screaming as he came up. He stopped coming up "Knock it off, Naruto. This is no time to be playing around." Sakura said and I furrowed my eyebrows. "He's not. Our friends have come back again." Sasuke said. We both dived down in the water and saw Naruto being pulled down.

We swam down after them. "You don't have a chance against us underwater." One of the guys chuckled out. Naruto opened his mouth and air bubbles came out. Clones started to surround us and grabbed ahold. They pulled my arms back and grabbed my legs so I couldn't do a thing. I squeezed my eyes shut while trying to squirm.

I felt the water movement change. It started to feel like it was circling under me. Is Naruto using the Rasengan? The water got all crazy and started a whirlpool. Good idea, Naruto. The guys got sucked down the the whirlpool. We were being tied up into it but was swimming out. I noticed Sakura wasnt swimming but was unconscious. Naruto swam back into it and grabbed her.

Sasuke poked his head out and started to swim to shore. I gave Naruto a boost out of the water so he could run Sakura to shore. I crawled out of the water and ran after him. Naruto fell and hit land pretty hard. Sasuke walked out of the water and towards us "Whoa, that hurt." Naruto said. We looked down at Sakura "Hey, Sakura. Come on. Come on, wake up." Naruto said shaking her.

I saw her open her eyes and look at Sasuke. Naruto slowly went towards Sakura face. He's going to give her mouth to mouth.. he's going to be punched. Sakura opened her eyes again and shrieked. He smacked Naruto on top on his head. "What are you, crazy? You perv!" Sakura yelled.

Sasuke stood up. "Huh?" Sakura said. "We're wasting time we haven't got. We need to find Idate." Sasuke said and walked off. "You're right." Sakura said and walked off with him. Naruto was on the floor still moaning in pain. "Right. Okay. Coming, coming." He said. I put my hand on his back and gently patted it. Poor Naruto..

~

"Idate!" Naruto yelled. We ran towards Idate as he layed on the floor with a man standing by him. "You rat." Naruto said angrily. "Are you in charge of those Rain Village ninja?" Naruto shouted. Sakura jumped over to Idate. "Apparently they weren't quite up to the job. In the contest of genin, it appears the Leaf Village genin are the stronger. But genin, no matter how strong they are, are no match against me." The guy said. "Well, let's find out!" Naruto shouted and we jumped at him.

We tried to hit him, but he dodged each attack. He basically disappeared and we stared at eachother blankly. "Up there!" Sasuke shouted and we looked up. He was in the air and daunt his umbrella. The wind that was pouring down on us had a lot of pressure to it. We were stuck laying on the ground. The wind left and we continued to stay there. The guy jumped down. "About what I expected. No more of a challenge than Idate, really. I'll just give you what I gave him. No use in wasting any more of my chakra." He put away his umbrella and got out needles.

"Sakura!" Naruto shouted as needles came at us. Needles stuck all of us at least twice. "Idate!" Sakura yelled as she hovered above him. "Needles that deliver a deadly poison. No matter how strong you may be, you already have one foot in the grave." The guy said. "Yeah, yeah, we've heard that before." Naruto said trying to stand up but fell back down. "Fukusuke must have reached the Modoroki Shrine. The last sound you'll ever hear, the sound of all your plans going up in smoke." The guy said and jumped off.

We pulled out the needles "He is gonna pay." Naruto growled out. "Naruto, Sasuke, (Y/n)." We looked over at Sakura "Take this." She said holding a bottle. "What do you mean, take it? What is it." Naruto asked. Sakura unscrewed the cap and said "Lady Tsunade gave them to me. She stopped me as we were leaving the village." Sakura said putting some pills in her hand. "Grandma Tsunade, huh?" Naruto said.

Sakura put a pill in Idates mouth. "There. I think he'll come around now" Sakura said and put one in her mouth. "It's some kind of antidote or something. Take one." Sakura said showing us her hand with three pills on it. We all took one and swallowed it. "And the other thing is, we can't just leave him out here in the rain. We've got to get him to someplace warm." Sakura said

~

"What do you know, he's waking up." Naruto said. Idate went to sit up. "Hey, so how are you feeling?" Sakura asked. "Where is he?" He asked sitting up more. "What happened to Aoi?" He asked. "He's gone. So you're telling me that's that character's name? Aoi?" Sasuke said
"Who is he? Do you know eachother from somewhere?" Sakura asked.

"He was a sensei I knew back in my Leaf Village days." Idate said. "What? You're from the Leaf Village?" Naruto asked. "After he betrayed the Leaf Village, he became a jonin of the Village Hidden in the Rain." Idate said. "Hang on. Back up. What are you talking back?" Naruto asked. Idate sat up more while groaning "Whoa there. Take it easy now. You're still very weak." Sakura said

She looked at his hand "What is that you're holding?" He looked at his hand "You've been clutching that all this time." Sakura said. He opened his hand slowly "Damn. All that work, all the training, all for nothing." Idate said. "You're giving up kind of easy, arent you? That's not the way for any Leaf Village ninja to talk." Naruto said. "You've got the wrong guy. I haven't even thought of the Leaf Village since the day I walked away from it." Idate said.

"Walked away from the Village? It hit me hard when I failed the first chunin exam. I didnt know what to do." ~ "I didnt with the village after that day. Nothing I do goes right. But even so, Boss Jirocho- even though he knew I was no good, he still trusted me. He put his faith in me. And now look what I've done." Idate said. His situation.. reminds me of a situation Naruto and I were in. He reminds me of Naruto and I. He thinks the same as I did. "I've never been any use to anyone." Idate said starting to cry.

"Look at me. I'm worthless. Everything I do goes wrong. Aoi said it, and he was right. I'd be better off dead." "Stop it!" Naruto shouted. "You idiot, you just said it yourself. You've still got one person who believes in you, right? One person's enough. That's all anyone needs." Naruto shouted in Idates face. I looked back and made eye contact with Sasuke.

"Dont even think of quitting. Who says this race is over? You have no way of knowing how things are gonna turn out." Naruto said. "Yeah, but-" Idate said. "Come on, on your feet." Naruto said pulling him up. "Stop it, Naruto. He's still far too weak to move."  Sakura said. "If he can't run, then I'll carry him on my back the whole way if I have to." Naruto said and let go of him so he hit the wall.

"The other runner already reached Modoroki." Idate said. "You're not quitting! Understand?" Naruto shouted. "No. Stop it, Naruto" Sakura said but got stopped by Sasuke. "Sakura." Sasuke said grabbing her wrist. "What are you doing?" She asked. "Stay back. Leave him." Sasuke said.

"Jirocho's counting on you, and you don't want to keep him waiting. Pull yourself together!" Naruto shouted. He let go of Idates shirt and shoved him against the wall. "You quit now, when you finally have the chance you've been waiting for your whole life? To show someone he was right to depend on you, to believe in you?" Naruto shouted. Idate stated at him. "Come on. Show them what you've got!" Naruto shouted. "I'll do it. But I'll need your help, Naruto." Idate said "Alright then. Let's shake a leg."

Naruto had Idate on his back. "Hang on tight. Here we go!" Naruto shouted as he ran out of the cave.

Word count- 1512