Chapter 77

Naruto crawled towards Gaara with his shoulders and head. He pulled himself closer to him. Gaara closed his eyes. Naruto kept going towards him. Naruto put his head down and made grunting sounds. He lifted his head and kept going. Gaara opened his eyes and watched him. "No, stay away!" Gaara yelled. Naruto just kept going. "It's almost unbearable, isn't it?The feeling of being all alone. We know that feeling. (Y/n) and I have been there, in that dark and lonely place. But now there are others- other people who mean a lot to us. We care more about them than I do ourselves. And I wont let anyone hurt them. That's why I wont ever give up. I will stop you, even if I have to kill you." Naruto said.

"But why? Why would you do this for anyone but yourself?" Gaara asked. "Because they saved me from myself. They resued me from my loneliness. They were the first to accept me for who I am. They're my friends."

"Naruto, that's enough." A familiar voice said. I turned my head to see Sasuke next to Naruto. "Look, Sakura's going to be alright. The sand crumbled away. She's free. This guy's chakra is all used up." Sasuke said. "That's a relief." Naruto placed his head down.

Kankuro and Temari jumped infront of Gaara and glared at us. "That's enough. It's over." Gaara said. They turned to him. "But Gaara." Kankuro said. Gaara just stares at the sky. "Alright, Gaara." Kankuro said picking him up. Kankuro turned towards us. Gaara looked at us and they jumped off.

I sighed and fell to my knees next to Naruto. I looked down and saw him smiling. I smiled too and put my hand on his head gently. I looked up at Sasuke. He looked towards me and gave me a small smile and I sighed from relief.

~

Naruto and I sat in our room quietly. We didnt say anything to each other. Naruto sat on his bed blankly while looking at the floor. He looked at the clock and stood up. He grabbed his shirt and put it on. "Eh, let's go" Naruto said quietly. I nodded my head and stood up too.

We stood with Sakura waiting for Sasuke. He turned the corner and slowly came towards us. We were all wearing black. Sasuke walked passed us for a bit but stopped. The wind swept passed us and we ran towards him. I looked up at the sky and saw how dark it was, it seems like it's going to rain.

~

We stood there as the Hokages picture with 6 others were set in front of us. I stood next to Naruto and I held my hands together. I felt something land on my nose. I looked up and saw raindrops fall towards us. It's raining.. "We are gathered here to remember and honor not only the third Hokags, but also those who sacrificed themselves in this battle so that our village would survive."

People were stepping forward and putting white flowers on his coffin. Why? Why did he have to go? He was a good person so why? I looked down and over at Konohamaru and saw him weeping. Iruka stepped to the side and put his hand on his shoulder. Iruka bent down next to him. Konohamaru turned and cried in his shoulder.

It's been a Shinobi rule. Never show your feelings and keep you mind focused on your mission, no matter what. No matter how much it hurts inside never shed a tear. Well, I'm terrible at that. I feel the pain in me rising up. I took a step closer to putting a flower on his coffin. Naruto hesitated but put the flower on top. I stepped in front of it. I felt a warm tear slip from my eye. All the great memories with the third Hokage from when we were children flashed in my head. I placed my flower down. Rest in Peace.

We all looked up at the sculpture of his face. "Iruka Sensei, why do they do it? Why do people risk their lives for other people?" Naruto asked. "Well, when someone passes away, it's the end. His past and future, all the dreams he once had, they disappear along with him. This is true even if he died honorably in battle, as so many have, as Hayate did. All the ties that bind him to the living are severed- all but one, the most important of all, people. Parents, siblings, friends, lovers, the people who were important to him. And these people, the ones left behind, are joined together in a great circle by their shared memories of him- a circle of friendship, trust, and sacrifice that grows larger and stronger as time passes. It's hard to explain it. We remain in the circle together. We have no choice. It's important to us."

"So we do it because we have to. I get it. Sort of. Still, I'm sad he's gone." Naruto said. "Think how sad it would be if he'd died for nothing. But he left us something priceless. Don't worry. You'll understand one of these days." Kakashi said. "Hey, give me some credit. That much I get." Naruto said with a weak smile. "The rain. It stopped." Sakura said. I looked up to the clouds clearing up. The sun peeked through and brightened everything around us.

~

"Bye, Iruka Sensei! See you later!" Naruto said waving his arm around. "Good bye!" I said smiling. "Alright." He said. Naruto and I turned around and ran towards Kakashi, Sakura, and Sasuke. Most things are meant to come to an end, just make the most of it while its going on. I learned that today.

Word count- 962