Dead In The Water

Start from the beginning

"Lakefront Motel. Go around the corner. It's about two blocks south." Andrea replies. "Two—would you mind showing us?" Dean asked her and she laughs. "You want me to walk you two blocks?" She asked him. "Not if it's any trouble." Dean said and Andrea rolls her eyes. "I'm headed that way anyway." She said then she turns to Jake.
"I'll be back to pick up Lucas at three." She said to him then she turns to Lucas. "We'll go to the park, okay, sweetie?" She said to the boy before she kisses his head. I wave as we leave, Jake nods at us. "Thanks again." Sam said to him and we head out.

"So, cute kid." Dean said as Andrea leads us down the street to the motel. "Thanks." She said as we cross a street. "Kids are the best, huh?" Dean said and I roll my eyes at this while Andrea glances at him and ignores him. Finally, we stop in front of a building that says Lakefront Motel. "There it is. Like I said, two blocks." She said as she points at the motel. "Thanks." Sam and I said. Then Andrea addresses Dean. "Must be hard, with your sense of direction, never being able to find your way to a decent pickup line." She said and I cover up my mouth to stifle a laugh as she leaves. "Enjoy your stay!" She calls out then it turn to the boys.

"I like her." I said and Dean rolls his eyes while Sam turns to his brother. "Kids are the best? You don't even like kids." Sam said to him. "I love kids." Dean said, slightly offended. "Name three children that you even know." I said to him. Dean thinks this over but comes up empty. Sam waves a hand and walks into the motel while Dean scratches his head. "I'm thinking!" He said as I look over at him. "Careful, Winchester. I see smoke coming out of your ears." I teased and he glares at me while I follow Sam.

Sam and I were working on our laptops, while Dean was going through his clothing. "So there's the three drowning victims this year." I said as I pointed then out on the screen. "Any before that?" Dean asked. "Uh, yeah." Sam and I said as we had a window browser opened to The Lake Manitoc Tribune. Sam clicks on the article that said: DROWNING TAINTS ICE FISHING FESTIVAL. Then I click on another article on my laptop that read: 12-YEAR-OLD GIRL DROWNS IN LAKE. 

It was a second drowning in the span of 6 months at Lake Manitoc. "Six more spread out over the past thirty-five years. Those bodies were never recovered either. If there is something out there, it's picking up its pace." Sam said as Dean tosses an item of clothing onto a bed. "So, what, we got a lake monster on a binge?" Dean asked. "This whole lake monster theory, it, it just bugs me." Sam said and I nod in agreement. "Yeah, I agree. Something's not adding up." I said as Dean comes over to read over my shoulder.

"Why?" He asked. "Loch Ness, uh, Lake Champlain, there are literally hundreds of eyewitness accounts, but here, almost nothing." I said as Sam and I look through the Tribune homepage. "Whatever it is out there, no one's living to talk about it." I said as I scroll to the comments section of an article.

Dean points at it. "Wait, Barr, Christopher Barr. Where have I heard that name before?" He asked and I read the page, Sam leans over to look. "Christopher Barr, the victim in May." I said and I click the link, opening a new page. LOCAL MAN IN TRAGIC ACCIDENT. The picture loads and it shows a police officer with Lucas, which made my jaw drop and my heart sink.

"Oh. Christopher Barr was Andrea's husband, Lucas's father. Apparently he took Lucas out swimming. Lucas was on a floating wooden platform when Chris drowned. Two hours before the kid got rescued." I said and I started to feel really bad for the young boy. I click the picture for a better look, then Sam scratches his head. "Maybe we have an eyewitness after all." Sam said. "No wonder that kid was so freaked out." Dean muttered as I look down. "Yeah....Watching one of your parents die isn't something you just get over." I said, softly, as the memories of my dad laying in a hospital bed and watching him wither away flashes before my eyes.

I let out a heavy sigh as the boys stare at me. "You okay?" Sam asked me, concerned. I look up at him then nodded as I felt a hand on my shoulder, I look up and see that the hand belong to Dean. "I'm sorry about your dad, (y/n)." He said and I give a small smile towards him. "Thanks, Dean." I said as I patted his hand.

Kids were laughing and playing at the park as we walk in the park. We look over and see Andrea sitting on a bench as she watches Lucas, who is at another bench coloring and playing with toy soldiers. "Can we join you?" Sam asked her and she looks up at us. "I'm here with my son." She said and Dean and I look over at Lucas. "Oh. Mind if I say hi?" Dean asked then heads over to Lucas.

"Tell your friend this whole Jerry Maguire thing is not gonna work on me." Andrea said to me and Sam as we sit next to her. "I don't think that's what this is about." Sam said and I give a slight nod to this as we see Dean approaching Lucas.

We sat there for a few minutes as we see Dean talking to Lucas and even started drawing with him but the kid never talked or looked up at Dean. Finally, Dean sets down his drawing and makes his way to us. "Lucas hasn't said a word, not even to me. Not since his dad's accident." Andrea said, after she let's out a sigh. "Yeah, we heard. Sorry." I said to her as Dean approaches us. She nods, appreciatevly, to me.

"What are the doctors saying?" Sam asked her. "That it's a kind of post-traumatic stress." Andrea replied and I give her a sympathetic look. "That can't be easy. For either of you." I said and she nods as she bites her lips.

"We moved in with my dad. He helps out a lot. It's just...when I think about what Lucas went through, what he saw..." she stops as she stops herself from crying. "Kids are strong. You'd be surprised what they can deal with." Dean said to her. "You know, he used to have such life. He was hard to keep up with, to tell you the truth. Now he just sits there. Drawing those pictures, playing with those army men. I just wish—" She said when Lucas walks up to us, carrying a picture.

"Hey sweetie." Andrea greets him as Lucas hands Dean a picture. "Thanks. Thanks, Lucas." Dean said and I get up and look at the picture, which looked eerily like the Carlton's house.