Dead In The Water

Start from the beginning

"She was about a hundred yards out." Will explains to us as he leads us to the dock, where an old man was sitting on a bench on the dock. "That's where she got dragged down." Will said to us as he points at the lake.

"And you're sure she didn't just drown?" I asked him. "Yeah. She was a varsity swimmer. She practically grew up in that lake. She was as safe out there as in her own bathtub." Will explains. "So no splashing? No signs of distress?" Sam asked, curiously. "No, that's what I'm telling you." Will replied. "Did you see any shadows in the water? Maybe some dark shape breach the surface?" I asked him. "No. Again, she was really far out there." Will replied.

"You ever see any strange tracks by the shoreline?" Dean asked Will. "No, never. Why? Why, what do you think's out there?" Will asked us, with worry. "We'll let you know as soon as we do." Dean said and he starts to head back to the car.

"What about your father?" Sam asked, nodding towards the man on the bench. Dea  stops and turns back to us. "Can we talk to him?" Sam asked. Will turns to look at his dad then turns back to us. "Look, if you don't mind, I mean...he didn't see anything and he's kind of been through a lot." Will explains and Sam and I nod. "We understand." Sam said then we head back to the car and my bike.

Later, the boys and I were at the police station and was speaking to the sheriff, Jake Devins. "Now, I'm sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?" Jake asked us, suspiciously. "You sure it's accidental? Will Carlton saw something grab his sister." I said to him. "Like what?" He asked as we walk into his office and he motions to chairs in front of his desk.

"Here, sit, please. There are no indigenous carnivores in that lake." He said Tony's as we sit down. "There's nothing even big enough to pull down a person, unless it was the Loch Ness Monster." Jake said. "Yeah. Right." Dean laughs while Sam and I glance at Dean.

"Will Carlton was traumatized, and sometimes the mind plays tricks. Still—" Jake said as he sits down in his chair behind his chair. "We dragged that entire lake. We even ran a sonar sweep, just to be sure, and there was nothing down there." Jake said. "That's weird, though, I mean, that's the third missing body this year." Dean said. "I know. These are people from my town. These are people I care about." Jake said. "I know." Dean mutters.

"Anyway...All this...it won't be a problem much longer." Jake sighed. "What do you mean?" I asked him. "Well, the dam, of course." Jake said. "Of course, the dam. It's, uh, it sprung a leak." Dean said, like it was obvious. "It's falling apart, and the feds won't give us the grant to repair it, so they've opened the spillway. In another six months, there won't be much of a lake. There won't be much of a town, either. But as Federal Wildlife, you already knew that." Jake said to us. "Exactly." Dean said when we heard a tapping noise.

We turn around and see a young woman standing at the doorway. "Sorry, am I interrupting?" She asked as the boys and I stand up. "I can come back later." She said as she looks at us. "Gentlemen...lady, this is my daughter." Jake introduced as Dean walks up to her first, which for some reason annoyed me.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Dean." Dean greets as he shakes the woman's hand. "Andrea Barr. Hi." She said. "Hi." Dean said and Sam and I go and shake Andrea's hand. "They're from the Wildlife Service. About the lake." Jake said to her. "Oh." She said as a small boy walks around her.

"Oh, hey there. What's your name?" I asked the boy, sweetly, but the boy walks away without speaking, Andrea follows him. "His name is Lucas." Jake said as we see Andrea and Lucas in the main room. Andrea gives the boy some crayons out of a box.

"Is he okay?" Sam asked Jake. "My grandson's been through a lot. We all have." Jake said as he stands and goes to the office door. "Well, if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know." He said and the four of us leave the office. "Thanks. You know, now that you mentioned it, could you point us in the direction of a reasonably priced motel?" Dean asked.