[Book 2] The Second Preview

"Did you know that there was once a time in this world where nobody had any special abilities?"

Kai Chisaki was only fourteen years old as he sat down upon a silky carpet, listening to the man before him. His yellow irises were focused clearly as he absorbed every word given. "That's... impossible..."

"Heh, you'd think that- but it's true. It was only about a several decades ago that quirks had risen from the unknown. Before then, everyone was practically powerless." The boy fidgeted with the sleeves of his black shirt, trying to wrap his head around such a concept. A world without quirks?

The older man nodded, smiling wickedly behind his precious bird mask. He was only 'twenty-seven', but to Kai, he seemed to be wiser than what his years were worth. A red hood covered the top of his head while the man circled steadily around the boy. His leather boots clicked against the wooden floor boards as he walked. "The world was completely different before quirks appeared..."

Kai tried imagining a world without powers, thinking of how vulnerable and weak everyone would be again. "Everyone ... was quirk-less...? But then... how did everyone gain these powers?"

The man paused in his steps and smiled down at him warmly. Despite his skinny physique, he was often perceived to be terrifying to most of his peers. Kai was just starting to get training with the leader of the Yakuza gang in hopes of being part of the system. He was adopted, taken care of by the big boss of the group ... and to Kai, that man was seen like a father in his own eyes.

"It's because we're all infected.... these quirks are a plague that's been doing nothing but ruining this society."

Kai's eyes widened from hearing the venom behind his words. Unlike his 'father', this man was practically seen as an uncle-like figure to him. He was a brother of the Boss, and he was the one that originally found him back on the streets, living off scraps. He was nicknamed the Crow.

He was known for wearing a terrifying bird mask to hide his face.

Kai Chisaki stared down at his hands with horror, taking in all of his words. At first, he couldn't believe something that sounded so absurd.... but he's only heard rumors before. Hearing this from his 'uncle' firsthand was what took him by surprise. "Does... this mean that I'm sick?"

Crow chuckled menacingly while popping the joints in his fingers. "We're all sick... everyone with a quirk is infected, Kai. Heh, don't you see?"

"B-but.... the boss said that my power was something to treasure...."

Crow shook his head and bent down in front of him so he'd speak at eye level. He rested a gentle hand upon the boy's shoulder as he could barely see the man's eyes through the mask. A lump formed in his throat, but his kept his gaze and expression blank. "He's blind just like the rest of society. Why else would anyone think such a power like that is worth anything? It's because... the Yakuza clan has gotten weak. Civilization used to be simple, but with powers like yours, it's easier for you to be used. My brother is stupid for thinking that quirks could be 'valuable' in the first place."

He's stupid....

The boss is blind...

Crow stood back up to his full height and sauntered over to grab a book from one of the bookshelves. The office was intended for the boss, but in the meantime, Kai was just supposed to wait there until he returned from a meeting. The lamp was flicked before he started to turn the pages. "There's a theory I found a while ago stating that quirks may have manifested because of the diseases carried by rats..."