11: Nightmares and Early Mornings

"I can't take this anymore... She doesn't learn. She's not normal!!"

The day was dark and gloomy as rain poured outside against the windowsill. Thunder crackled down to the earth, startling little Karin while she continued to walk down the narrow hallway.

The voice of her mother echoed through the walls.

"You fucking kidding me?! I can't afford for counseling right now! It'll never work anyways!!"

Tears formed in her eyes.

Why doesn't she want me anymore?

"Kai please! You don't even get it! She's falling behind everyone in her classes! The teachers reported her work to be unfit for her to possibly pass through the year! She can't even function without him!"

"Momma?"

The woman whipped her head back to see her frail girl standing in the living room door frame. She was shivering from the cold as snot hung from her little nose. "Is that Auntie? Why are you crying?"

She clenched her jaw and rolled her eyes. Just her luck right?
Her husband was gone and now she was stuck with her.
The universe must've hated her..

"Where's daddy? He still at work?"

The woman bared her teeth and stomped her foot at the child, making her stumble back. Karin landed back onto the floor and stared up at her mother with fearful eyes.

"HE'S GONE KARIN! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!"

" G-gone? "

She quickly hung up the phone and slammed it upon the coffee table to her right. "God damn it Karin!! Just shut up!!"

She stayed upon the ground shivering from the cold and fear within her mind. "I'm sowry... !"
It was that night that Karin would never forget.. She woke up the next morning on the floor as bruises and cuts were left in her arms and face. The surface of the wooden floor beneath her was her only comfort as she clung onto her stuffed toy bunny. Every muscle in her body ached as more tears filled her vision..

Around her, the world seemed to shift from black and white to red. Voices from her most hated thoughts came back to claw back to the surface and haunt her. Everything her mother said had to be a lie right?

Dad couldn't have been gone forever right?

But where is he...

and why did she do it?

"Karin!!"

***

"Karin! It's okay, wake up!"

Her eyes opened up to her bedroom. Her body left in a cold sweat as her legs wouldn't stop shaking. Eijirou sat next to her on the bed as his arms held her close to his chest.

"I'm right here...it'll be okay," he breathed.

She clung onto him and sobbed incessantly into his shoulder. He rocked her back and forth gently as the moonlight outlined them both in white. It was early morning and this was the second time this month that she'd been caught crying in her sleep.
Her face was red and her heartbeat slammed against her chest from the anxiety.

He hated these nights.

Karin looked completely terrified and looked as if she was on the verge of death. She wouldn't let go of him for nothing.
"I'm right here," he sighed. "I'm not leaving."