[Book 2] Preview

The waiting room of the health center was more vacant than usual for it being a Monday morning. The nurses sitting around at the front desk were distracted, sneaking glimpses at the lone man sitting in one of the chairs. He was slouched over in his seat, resting his elbows upon his knees. When he first entered, the women silently complained of how he reeked of alcohol. His hair was slightly messy and his expression was blank as he stared at the floor.

When it was finally time for him to visit in, he found himself inside a small office with grey carpet flooring. It smelled like the inside of a new car as he sat across from a doctor sitting comfortably in his swivel chair. He seemed much older than his patient- probably in his seventies if he was guessing right. "Good morning Yuuta. My name's Fern."

The man fidgeted with the ends of his sleeves while Fern observed him closely. He clicked the end of his pen before writing a few notes on his clipboard. It was painfully obvious that his patient didn't want to be here. He's never even heard of him before and became a new addition to the list of patients he'd visit.

The sound of his coffee maker stirred up the silence in the room, releasing a calming smell of the grounds coming into use. Yuuta must've been hungover, and the mental state he was in was a bit concerning. "Would you want some coffee or tea?" The older man smiled warmly and tried his best to let him relax. His patient hesitated, but soon he nodded slowly.
"Coffee please..."

Fern reached within the cabinets of his desk to pull out two glass cups for them to use. A set of sugar and cream was also given but Yuuta only decided to drink his coffee black. Fern found him sort of odd, but kept his mind open. The man before him had a scar from the side of his lip to his chin. His hair was styled with an undercut while a pair of glasses rested over the bridge of his nose. He was gifted with a built physique, but the way he was sitting left his presence to be somewhat timid. He took a few sips of his coffee before placing it down to the table on his right.

Fern cleared his throat before leaning back in his seat. "Its always a bit awkward the first time I meet with my patients.... but tell me, did you come here willingly, or were you forced?"

"...forced."

Fern nodded with understanding while writing something else down on his clipboard. "I understand. But I must say, it's brave to step forward anyhow." He slid his chair closer to his desk before flipping open his laptop. After a minute, he started out with basic information that he needed to gather. "Have you felt depressed in most of the days, over half of the days, or every couple of days?"

"Most of the days...."

"Have you felt extremely tired, can't fall asleep or having trouble staying asleep lately?"

"...all of the above..."

Fern nodded while clicking away at the answers given on screen. "Have you have thoughts of suicide? If so, is it most of the days, more than half or about a few days?"

Yuuta lowered his gaze and continued to avoid the doctors gaze. "Most of the days..." More and more questions were asked until Fern fully understood the situation given to him. This was Yuuta's first time ever seeing a councilor and so of course it was expected of him to be so nervous. The doctor scrolled through the man's profile in his computer as he clicked his tongue.

"Alright. Now that this is out of the way, you can tell me anything that's been troubling you. Of course, you don't have to open up right away, but I'm here to help you're mental state. Everything said here stays in this room, okay?"

The man nodded timidly, picking at the dead skin against one of his thumbnails. In all honesty, he didn't know what to do. His mouth became dry and his mind drew blank. "I... don't know what to say," he muttered. The doctor set away his notes before crossing his arms over his chest. A warm comforting smile made its way on his face as his dimples formed.
"I understand. How about... we start from the beginning of your pain. When did your depression start?"

I can't tell you...

Why did I even come here when my true identity is fucked...?

"It... started when I first joined a gang in my early twenties..." Yuuta fidgeted some more while slowly drawing out his events of being in this group. There was no name mentioned, nor were any of the members called out, but Fern eventually started to learn of some of the actions taken place. These people were drug dealers, murderers, thieves. It wasn't uncommon if mentions of kidnappings would occur, but he couldn't bring himself to stoop that low. "I couldn't escape it... and to be honest... I had to keep within the group to keep my wife and... son out of harms way."

"So, I take it that you're not with them anymore? How's you're family?" Fern took a few more sips out of his glass before raising a brow at his patient. Yuuta bit the inside of his cheek for a moment, thinking of how to carefully paint a better picture to him. "My.. son passed away at fifteen years old due to cancer... and my wife is in a rehabilitation center..."

"Rehab? I take that she didn't take the death well...."

More like my 'death', but sure- lets go with that. Yuuta nodded once more to the question while staring at the bookshelves standing behind the doctors desk. Fern frowned but adjusted the glasses resting upon the bridge of his nose. From understanding only a portion of Yuuta's background, he knew that this would be a long process of getting him back to a leveled mental state.

"Have you tried visiting her?"

The man's body froze up as he felt his hands shake slightly. The sound of his blood pumping was pounding against his ear drums as he felt his grief spike up again. His eyebrows furrowed with sorrow as he shook his head.

"No... not yet."