33: Reunion [Flashback]

(Warning: intense gore and violence within this chapter. Read at your own risk. This is also unedited I'm so sorry lol)

Not too long after the incident, it started to pour down rain. The sky became lighter as heavy clouds blanketed the area while the city lights polluted the night. The small group was shivering from the sharp cold and most of their food was either partially eaten or destroyed from the water.
Ryo kept a gentle hold on Karin's wrist as he kept leading them further into the dark sector nearby. The silence was heavier than the sinking feeling in Karin's chest. She wanted to speak, but there was just so much to know. Too many questions could spew from her mouth and the tension between the adults was filling her with dread. Bakugou and Todoroki never left her side though and tried their best to comfort the situation. Bakugou was still on guard and furious for the fact that they left those workers alone. That wasn't the act of a true hero...

And to be honest, Todoroki felt the same way. Kai and Sato were in a state of shock; their faces pale with hallow eyes. They've seen a gruesome death for the second time in their lives. The smell of blood still lingered in their thoughts and it made them sick to their stomachs.

They walked on for about a mile until they came across a small little house that Ryo had previously been in. It was the same base he's had that was set on the far outskirts of Hosu. It was in the poorly kept districts by the Daku area.

He unlocked the door and led them all inside before locking it shut again. Todoroki wasn't affected by the cold but he wasn't able to use his quirk to help the others. His entire body was soaked.

Karin looked up at her father figure and halted in her tracks. Whatever came across his mind faded away instantly and soon he glanced back down at her. There was more silence.
But what surprised her the most was not his intimidating nature, but the soft broken look within his irises. His eyes were completely blue as tears threatened to pour out of him.

"Karin I'm so sorry..." He turned around to face her fully and felt his hands shake slightly. "I-I...... wish I could've seen you sooner. It wasn't my fault that I was gone for so long..."

Kai clung onto her son as he rubbed her back in reassurance. They could only listen while Ryo tried to explain himself. The man was a stuttering mess and the uneasiness within his body as clear. He was nervous- but more importantly, he was heartbroken. This was how he was reunited with his family.

There were many nights to where he imagined on how this would go down. He would show up up out of the blue with his hair finally done. His clothing would be ironed out and his appearance would outshine all of his present day as he approached his daughter with a bouquet of flowers. Carnations were her favorite. He'd remember that every now and then. The bright pink and merlot ones were what caught her attention. He would wrap her into a heartwarming hug and tell her everything he's missed and all the hell he's been through. He'd wipe away her tears and never let her go as he'd kiss the top of her head. He missed singing with her and taking her out to get gelato every Friday night....

Ryo missed being a father.

But this was reality. Here, he just couldn't go back to make things better in an instant. Karin's eyes were on the verge of tears and he knew that he took something away that was just too valuable. Did she think that I was alive this whole time.... or did she fall for their trick? Maybe they all believe that I wasn't alive..... or not.....

"...I always planned to go back to you.... I just wish you didn't see me like this...."

"Everyone thought that you were completely gone.. b-but I was right........" Karin took a shaky breath and it was clear that her expression seemed hurt. It was like barbed wire was tightening around her neck. "Where were you?? Why did you leave??"