18: Rescue Mission

"Do you remember the song I taught you, Karin?"

The moon right?

The little girl's hands were held gently by the adult male. A blind fold covered her eyes as she smiled brightly. "Fly me to the moon.."

"That's right! .. And let me play among the stars.. come on, what's the next part?"

She was only nine..

"Uh.."

"Need help?" He chuckled and carefully led the girl to walk down the dark hallway beside him. Their home felt calmer back then... but that was when he was here..

"I-I don't know... daddy, can you sing it?"

He sighed with a smile and decided to pick her up finally as he continued to participate in their moment. The man's voice is as soft as velvet; many would say that he sounded like Frank Sinatra.
"Fly to me to the moon, and let me play among the stars...let me see what spring is like on A-Jupiter and Mars~"

Karin giggled with delight as she rested her head upon his shoulder. At moments, she would join in when the memory of said words were more clear. "In other words, hold my hand... in other words, I love you.."

He walked into her room and set her on the bed in a sitting position. "Now no peaking. I don't want you to steal a peak at the box until I say so, okay?"

"Okay." She twiddled her thumbs as she hummed the soft tune. While she kept the blindfold on, he grabbed the present from her dresser surface. He unwrapped the fancy ribbon and then handed it to her. Her smile widened as the eager feeling rose in her chest.

"Okay okay, now you can look."

With a gasp of joy, she tugged off the blindfold and carefully popped open the top of the box swiftly. Her eyes glowed yellow as her attention shot to the toy laying inside.

A precious purple bunny.

He smiled and patted the top of her head. "She'll need a name," he chuckled.

Karin tiny arms wrapped around his neck as she thanked him over and over. "It's perfect! Thank you so much!!" She soon hugged the stuffed animal with glee.

"I'm glad that you like it.."

For a split second, his calm expression faltered as his thoughts cascaded somewhere else. She caught onto the change of his mood and so she frowned as well. "Daddy..?"

"Oh, sorry. It's just that I'm very tired, dear." He rubbed the back of his neck and smiled warmly at her.
But he was lying..

"Then... why are you sad?"

He sighed and sat on her bed. "Im... just going through a lot right now... I'm sorry to worry you."

Karin hugged the bunny as she leaned against his shoulder. "But what's going on? You're scaring me.." When she looked up at him, all she saw was glimpses of blues, grays, and black.