Connie X Reader - In the Face of the End of the World

When you met Connie, he was on the ground, and you helped him up. From then on, the two of you were inseparable, with Sasha in tow. When he fell, you were there laughing to haul him up. When you stumbled, he would always help you up with a teasing smile. Always that smile. When he wasn't smiling, you always knew something was wrong, and you were the only one he let in. You hated it when he was upset. It tugged on your heartstrings and made you feel as though something terrible was wrong with the world in order for someone like him to be upset.

It was late on a Sunday night when Connie woke you up. He had tears in his eyes and his hands were shaking something awful, face pale and drawn. Your shared room was dark and warm, with a cool breeze making its way through your open window. You quickly sat up, twisting to lean over him and with concern blanketing your features, you gently cupped his face and tilted his face to look at you.

"Hey," you whispered, pressing a kiss against his forehead. "It's okay bud, you're okay,"

In response, Connie could only squeeze his eyes shut and pull you closer. You felt his chest stutter as his sobs shook his lanky form, making your own chest tighten. You hated seeing him upset, but you figured that this was better then him keeping his grief to himself.

With one arm wrapped around his back, you rested your other hand on the nape of his neck, pulling him until the two of you were like perfectly fitting puzzle pieces. the room seemed to grow colder, so you tugged the doona bustled around you closer and draped it over his quaking shoulders.

"Talk to me bud, what happened?" You asked softly.

At first your request was met with silence, until his shaky voice filled the air and broke your heart.

"I keep seeing her slip away... and all i can do is watch..". His voice broke off in to a sob. "It's so unfair," He finished weakly, hands tightening into fists. "It's so fucking unfair!"

Connie dissolved in to tears, drops rolling down his face as he struggled to keep himself together. His breathing was uneven, face red and eyes screwed tightly shut, fruitlessly attempting to stop himself crying.

You pulled him even closer, tears finding their way to your own eyes. "I know it is.." was all you could say, gently rocking his body as he mourned his best friend.

"And my family too! They didn't deserve to be turned into monsters!" Connie continued angrily, trying to talk himself out of his state. "My mum will always be like that, won't she... I'll never be able to tell her I love her, she'll never be able to meet you, or see me grow up, or anything! It's - it's so fucking u-unfair!"

His voice shook and wiped at his eyes angrily.

"I know it's unfair connie, but we can't change what has happened..."

Connie bowed his head in defeat and nodded, temper cooling. He hesitated for a moment before lying down and curling around you. You smiled weakly as you shifted his arms to lie beside him, letting him rest his head under yours and drape his arm over your waist.

It didn't take long for him to drift off again, with the help of you whispering to him of how much you loved him.

Before you let the night consume you, you lied awake for a while. Why was this your reality? Why did someone who had so much joy to give have to wake up in the middle of the night feeling broken and devastated by the sheer unfairness of it all.

He was right.

It was unfair. It was so unfair. All these beautiful people placed in a world that wasn't meant for them, who had so much else to offer, were trapped in a world that wanted them dead.