Eren X Reader - It Hurt

Please comment

It hurt. It hurt to see him, when once he was the remedy to all your pain. Not to say that you don't love him anymore - you love him more than life - but now, the warm fuzzy feeling you once got upon seeing him was now constricting; unbearable. It was a crushing feeling, a weight pressing down, down, down upon your chest - a burning sensation that started in your stomach and spread till it made your throat close and your fingers shake.

It hurt. It hurt a lot to see him, to see your Eren.

The journey home from Marely seemed infinite, as if you were trapped in your own world. Like the outside world was so foreign compared to the suffocating inside of the blimp you were standing in. Your face was wet with tears, your heart wrung out over your poor Sasha, lying so still and cold on the floor. You could barely bring yourself to leave the room. But you had to, to go see if there had been any point to her death, to see if you had lost anyone else, and to see the bastard who had started the whole mess.

Your Eren.

His hair was longer, skin darker but face pale. His eyes held something in them that you could not recognise; however, it would have taken a fool to miss the grief in the crease of his brow, in the lines of his mouth. He was grieving. Yet again, he was mourning a person who had died for him.

It seemed the second you saw him, he was in front of you. Fingers trailing up your face, curling in to your hair, eyes raking your expression. He saw the tear tracks, he felt the unwashed texture of your hair, the invisible blood clinging to your hands. His eyes softened before he pressed his lips to your forehead. And with that simple gesture, you felt the rage that had built up in your heart fall away, simply falling out of you, because he was back with you now, and it was finished, and he still loved you.

It was only when he pulled away that you finally recognised the look in his eyes. Regret.

"Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

You gave a start. His voice was lower, harsher, impatient. It scared you.

"Yes," your voice trailed off.

It seemed that was all he wanted to know, because he turned and took his seat, and spoke no more to you.

~

He didn't go to her funeral. He stayed locked in a cell, alone, guards standing by. But you went. You went, and you cried, and you clung to Connie like your life depended on it. His voice wavered and it broke, and you felt your heart start to tear, as you thought of the girl in the ground, and the boy in his cell. Because that's what you were - girls and boys, children, barely adults.

A girl had died because a boy went to war, and their lovers died in turn.

Niccolo wept over her dirt tomb, Mikasa sat against the stone bearing her name, keeping her company, Armin left to talk to someone far less complicated. Connie disappeared with Jean, and you? You saw your Eren.

His eyes did not light up like they used to. It was strange, you thought. Oh, how you preferred when you could read Eren like a book.

The guards tried to but could not stop you from entering his cell. You had nothing on you except for a blanket. You were harmless, and they reasoned that Eren would sooner perish than put you in danger.

Eren did not move. Not an inch. Only his eyes, trailing you as you approached him.

You placed yourself behind him, and let the silence take over. Slowly, you wrapped the blanket over his bare shoulders, and placed a hand on his chest, over his heart. His eyes flickered from the wall to you.