Breaking In (Ben) (Writingmas Day 18)

"Okay, he's not Santa, but he did have a very good reason for breaking into the house."

Ben hummed to himself as he walked down the street in his little neighborhood. Jess was sleeping, and he had become restless doing work. To combat this, he'd decided to go and walk around, looking at all the Christmas lights in his neighborhood.

Passing one house, he saw a raging fire in the fireplace. The tree was dangerously close to it, that if the flames were high enough it would catch on fire. The house appeared to be empty, so he decided to ring the doorbell.

No one answered, so Ben jiggled the door handle. It opened easily, and Ben stepped inside, closing the door behind him.

He quickly moved the tree away from the fire and made to leave again, walking to the door. As his hand touched the doorknob, a male voice rang out from behind him.

"Santa?"

Ben was wearing what probably looked like a Santa outfit to a tired child. He silently cursed. The kid's parents had probably left him home alone to sleep, assuming he'd be fine. Of course, leaving the tree so close to the fire and leaving the door unlocked didn't seem that smart.

Ben put his best deep, jolly old man voice on and said, "Yes, what is it my child?"

"What's your favorite color?"

"Can't you see, it's red!"

"Why are you here?"

"Well, I had some extra time after delivering this neighborhood's presents so I wanted to check you had all your presents."

"You're not really Santa, are you?"

"No, I work for him. He's a very busy man, you see. Can't do everything himself. Now, go back to bed, you'll be able to see your presents in the morning."

"Bye bye, have a good night."

"You too."

Ben closed the door behind him, shaking his head in wonder. Kids.

ok i'm not finishing this prompt list as 1- its after christmas and 2- i really don't like the other prompts. only posting this cause it was partly written in my drafts so i wanted to post it

anyways, have a good day everyone!