Best Friend (Ausdrew) (2/3)

17 years old

Andrew started shifting as he woke up. He didn't try to move, already knowing that Austin had trapped him in a bear hug sometime in the night, like he always did.

Now, one might wonder why Andrew was in the same bed as his best friend. Well, he was originally supposed to sleep in the attic, but the attic was prone to being burning hot all year round. What season it was didn't matter, it was always burning hot up there. Plus, the whole situation was sorta awkward: two teen guys, complete strangers, practically sharing a room. So Andrew had moved onto Austin's floor, but once the nightmares started up the two teens had been sleeping in the same bed, and accidentally cuddling sometimes. You know, like all best friends do.

Austin started moving around, signalling he was also waking up. Andrew sat up, prying his friend's hands off of him. He leaned all his weight onto one of his hands that still rested on the bed.

"Morning." Austin mumbled as he woke up. He sat up as well and latched onto Andrew again, leaning onto the other boy.

"C'mon Austin, I think breakfast is almost done. Let's gooo." Andrew said, stretching out the last words as he tried to pull his friend out of bed. At the mention of breakfast, however, Austin eagerly climbed out of bed and ran downstairs, clad only in pajama pants. Andrew stood up as well and put on a gray t-shirt and jeans, grabbing a red shirt for Austin.

Andrew walked down the stairs and into the kitchen, throwing the t-shirt at Austin as he grabbed a plate and scooped some scrambled eggs and bacon onto it. Austin's mom was making a pot of coffee while Austin was at the table, munching on a piece of crispy bacon.

"Thanks for the shirt, buddy." Austin grinned after he put it on.

"No problem." Andrew said, scooping some eggs onto his fork and shoving them into his mouth.

"So what are you boys going to do with your Saturday?" Austin's mom asked, sitting down at the table with a cup of coffee and several pieces of bacon in hand.

"Probably wander around town all day." Andrew said before Austin could say anything.

"Yeah, that sounds good I guess." Austin agreed.

"Well, have fun and be back by 6, we're having meatloaf for dinner." Austin's mom said.

"Of course, Mom." Austin said. "I'm gonna go put some pants on and we can head out, Andrew."

"Cool, you do that." Andrew said, taking a bite of his bacon.

Austin jogged down the stairs about ten minutes later. "See you later, Mom!" Austin called as he closed the door behind him. "So where to first?"

"Well, remember that bet you lost?"Andrew said, a large smile appearing on his face.

"Oh no..." Austin sighed, remembering his fate.

"Yeah, I scheduled the appointment for in like half an hour." Andrew laughed. "C'mon, let's go! We don't want to miss your appointment!"

Austin shook his head and followed Andrew to the salon.

"I'm here for my... my hair dye appointment." Austin muttered, approaching the front desk.

"Mr. Drippon? Follow me over here." A girl with dark blue-ish purple dyed hair said, stepping out from behind the desk. Her nametag read Dasha. "So what color do you want?"

"...Blue." Austin said while glaring at Andrew.

Dasha nodded and started gathering some items.

Before the two knew it, the appointment was over and Austin had bright blue hair. "Y'know, I think I could get used to this." Austin said, staring at his bright blue hair in a selfie he and Andrew had taken the moment they walked out of the salon door.

"Let's get some lunch." Andrew said. "There's this cafe that opened up a few blocks away, wanna go check it out?"

The boys got lunch at the cafe, throughly enjoying their time together.

They spent the rest of the day roaming around town, having a good time doing nothing in particular.

The boys ate dinner quickly, running upstairs to play video games.

The day soon turned into night, and Andrew was leaning heavily on his best friend, lightly dozing. Austin eventually got tired of sitting there and nudged Andrew awake. "Hey, we should probably get into bed."

Andrew nodded tiredly and stood up, climbing into bed and shifting over so Austin could get in as well. The boys fell asleep together peacefully. Or at least, until Andrew started shaking, caught in the memory of his parents throwing him out, repeating over and over. Austin woke up as Andrew slept, quickly shaking his best friend awake. "Hey, hey, hey, Andrew, it's okay, it's just a dream, you're safe with me."

Andrew jerked awake and quickly curled up to Austin. "Hey, I'm right here, okay?" Austin mumbled, hugging Andrew. After a while, he calmed down and let go of Austin.

"Thanks for that.." Andrew mumbled.

"It's no problem, you know that." Austin replied, smiling slightly.

Austin closed his eyes, and all was quiet for a while.

Then, Andrew spoke.

"I.. I think I really like you, Austin. As more than best friends."

Austin paused. "I think I really like you too. As more than best friends."

"Do you wanna maybe... get some lunch in town tomorrow? As more than best friends?" Andrew asked quietly.

"Sure... that sounds good." Austin said.

"Okay, night." Andrew said.

"Night." Austin replied, both boys closing their eyes and drifting off to sleep.