Happier (Ausdrew)

Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

-

The convention hall buzzed with activity, but my attention was focused next to me. Austin was talking to a pretty girl. I was so jealous.

-

They got together today. Of course I didn't hear it from Austin, though. He'd stopped answering my texts and calls.

-

It wasn't my choice. I thought everything was fine. Austin didn't. "We should see other people." He'd said. "It's just not working out. We're better off as friends."

Friends.

Right.

-

I called him up last night. My head was a mess, and I just kind of blurted out everything: how I'd never stopped loving him, how I missed him so so much, how I was so jealous of Maia. How the guy had forced himself onto me, that I wasn't cheating on him. How I missed him.

Austin told me it was too late.

-

Maia convinced Austin to ask me. That's why I was standing here, trying not to cry next to the boy I'd loved for 6 years.

Maia was stunning, though. If I wasn't as straight as a circle, I'd totally be all over her... or something...

My focus returned to Austin and Maia. They looked completely in love.

The words "If anyone holds any objection to this union, speak now or forever hold your peace." rang through the air. I considered it, I really did, but I knew nothing would happen. They'd still get married, whether I said anything or not. So I stayed quiet.

-

I was expected to give a toast during the reception. I stood when the time came, and began speaking.

"When I first met Austin, we clicked. He messaged me over YouTube, and we started rolling together. Our first recording together was just as wacky and unorganized as our last. And maybe I fell in love with this wonderful idiot somewhere along the way, and that ruined everything in the end, but I don't regret it one bit. And maybe I'm sad that we're not together anymore, but I don't mind too much, because he deserves the world and Maia can give it to him. So thank you Austin, for making the last 8 years the best of my life."

I set my glass down and walked away, out of the building and out of Austin's life.

got inspired by a song, so I wrote this

see you guys later