Without A Goodbye (Nice Posture)

My shoulders shook as I gasped for breath through the sobs. "No no no no no please!" I mumbled desperately, pressing down on Austin's chest as blood poured from the stab wound. "Please Austin, please don't die, please no, please!"

All background noise faded away: the cars zipping by the alley we were in, the honking of car horns, the birds chirping, everything. I distantly heard someone shout "Oh my god!" behind me as they ran up to me. I distantly noticed someone putting their hands on Austin's chest as they spoke on what I assumed to be on the phone to 911.

It was like I was disconnected from everything going on around me. All I could focus on was my best friend bleeding underneath me. After a while, a hand settled on my shoulder. The person connected to the hand was speaking, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Suddenly I was being gently tugged away from Austin, and I panicked. "No no no no no please! Austin!"

I watched as he was loaded into the back of an ambulance I hadn't noticed at the entrance to the alley. Suddenly, I snapped back to reality. "Wait!" I shouted. "Can I come with you guys?"

The paramedics shook their heads. "Sorry, but you can follow behind us in your car." I nodded, ignoring the fact I didn't have a car with me.

"C'mon, we can go in my car." A voice said. I turned around to see my good friend Jerome, still dressed in a button up shirt and slacks from work. Blood covered his hands. He must've been the person putting pressure on Austin's chest and calling 911. I silently stood up and followed Jerome to his car. The drive was also silent, aside from the wailing of sirens in front of us.

Sitting in the waiting room was also silent, until Jerome looked me over. "Go home and shower Andrew, you're a mess. You don't live too far from here, right?"

"Yeah, okay. I'll be back soon." I said quietly, standing up.

When I stepped into the bathroom and looked in the mirror, I saw why Jerome wanted me to shower. My forearms were covered in Austin's blood, as was the front of my shirt. My jeans were soaked in mud from kneeling in the street.

I took a shower, watching as the water turned red beneath me. I grabbed a clean hoodie and jeans once I finished the shower, quickly walking back to the hospital. Maia, Austin's girlfriend, was now there along with Jerome. He'd washed his hands since I'd left.

"Hey guys," I said, sitting next to my friends. "Any news?"

They shook their heads. "Nope.." We sat for a few more hours, before a doctor walked out, a grim look on her face.

"Anyone here for Mr. Drippon?" We stood up, walking over to the doctor. "We've managed to stabilize him, but we don't know how long that will last. Would you like to see him?"

We all nodded quickly, and followed the doctor down the hall. We let Maia go in first, as they were dating after all. Maia was in there for about 10 minutes. As Jerome and I were walking into the room, a quick series of beeps and then one long beep filled the room,  drowning out our footsteps.

"He's going into cardiac arrest!"

For the second time that day, I was pulled away from my best friend. We all hovered nervously around the room for a minute before before being told by a nurse to go back to the waiting room. We shuffled down the hallway and stood in the waiting room for about 20 minutes before a different male doctor walked out, looking solemn.

"I'm so, so sorry, but...." The doctor continued speaking, but it all faded to a loud buzz as I processed what he was saying.

He hadn't even been able to say goodbye.

y'know I should in theory stop writing about Andrew as he isn't really involved in Nice Posture anymore but I really like writing about him soo

oh hello there I just found this in my drafts you're welcome. the ending's bleh but oh well