Good People (Ben-Centric)

Just a quick note, this gets pretty dark.

<Ben's POV>

I stared up at the sky, letting my thoughts swirl around in my head. Why do bad things happen to the best people? To the type of people that push aside everything weighing them down to help you?

I guess the things weighing him down because too heavy. Even when I tried to help him, he wouldn't let me, choosing to deal with it himself. Only when he came to me was I able to help. And that only happened once.

When I had to talk him out of using that knife. When I had to make him throw the knife into the woods so he wouldn't use it on himself again.

He came to work with more cuts like that, but never let me help him.

Then, one day, he didn't show up. Or the next. Or the next.

He was gone. One day, he looked at his life, at the one or two people that would miss him, and said "It's not enough to keep me here. I don't want to hurt them, but there isn't enough to live for anymore."

And then he jumped.

His body was barely recognizable, having fallen on several sharp rocks.

We were all crying at his funeral: Jerome, Alex, Mitch, Kyle, JP, Ron, Steve, Andrew, Austin, and I. There were more, but we were all too busy mourning him to notice everyone there.

I stood up, and walked the short distance to his grave.

John Ryan Phillips
7/21/98 - 9/24/18
Beloved entertainer, friend, and son.
'Big things have small beginnings.'