The Crew (Nice Posture)

Everyone was lounging in the common room in their little base. About half the people in the room were part of a small gang known as the Nice Posture Crew- Jerome, Ben, Alex, Andrew, Austin, Blade, and Steve. As kids, they had all become homeless in some way or another, and in their harsh, controlling government, the homeless were the scum of the earth, and that combined with the severity of the punishments for even the smallest crime made life pretty difficult if you were alone.

Blade and Steve were orphan brothers and were the oldest of the group, in their late twenties. They'd found Austin and Andrew when Austin and Andrew were both seven and they were twelve. The two had their house burn down and lost their parents from wandering the streets not long after. Two years later, nine year old Jerome had been found knocked out and beaten up in a dumpster. He'd been neglected by his parents and everyone agreed to take him in immediately. Twelve year old Ben and nine year old Alex had been found hiding from cops after stealing food. The two were skin and bones, and were taken in.

From there, Blade and Steve had both met some nice girls and had taken a backseat to leading the group- Blade even had a kid. They kept the house in order and determined what was needed for their next run. Alex, Austin, and Ben had also met girls who also stayed at the house. All in all, there were thirteen people there, and five of those people actively went on missions to "borrow" supplies to sustain the little group.

Today's mission was no different from usual. They targeted large food vendors, the ones that wouldn't miss a loaf of bread or a few pieces of fruit. However, last week they hadn't been able to grab much and everyone was just a little bit hungrier than usual.

Andrew and Austin were lookouts when everything went wrong, leaning on a wall at the entrance to the market. "Hey Andy, are there more cops than usual?" Austin asked, glancing around.

"Maybe, let's dip just in case. We've been here long enough anyways." Andrew agreed, letting out a sharp three note whistle that carried across the market. That signal meant that it was time for everyone to get out and meet up at base.

As Austin and Andrew casually but quickly strolled back home, they became aware of someone following them. "Let's do some loops, try to lose them." Austin muttered, trying his best to act like he didn't know the pair was being followed.

Despite their best efforts, a man soon caught up to them. "Excuse me gentlemen, you are being placed under arrest in connection to the series of stealings happening in the market the last year."

Austin and Andrew glanced at each other, a look of defeat settling over their faces. The number one rule when dealing with law enforcement was to not fight back. Any resistance would give them the ability to kill you on the spot. They quietly let themselves be handcuffed and sat down in the car and drove to the holding cell where the others would undoubtedly be.

Being captured was the worst thing that could have ever happened to the Nice Posture Crew. With such a harsh government, the littlest things could end up with the death penalty. Oryou could be placed on a gladiator team. If the guards noticed you had a fighting spirit while waiting for sentencing, they could put you in for a gladiator team. Of course, they didn't tell the prisoners this unless they were chosen for this.

Lucky for the Nice Posture guys, they all had quite the spirit. The week leading up to their sentencing, they were cracking jokes, making friends with whoever they could talk to. They were going to die, why not make the best of their time left?

The day before the trial, the group was called into the warden's office. One after another they filed in, facing the stern looking man. "Now, you're in here for stealing from various vendors in the local open-air market, correct?"