Part 17

It was past midnight and Valerie was still cooped up in her office. She was pacing in her room and Jason was sitting idly in the far corner watching his alpha walking restlessly from the past hour. He was ordered by Jennifer, former luna and Valerie's mother to make sure that Valerie eats something. He brought food for Valerie as per ordered by her which was still lying untouched at the table.

A sudden knock on the door disturbed both Jason and Valerie, who were busy doing nothing. Valerie took a whiff of air and nodded towards Jason, who got up from his seat to open the door.

Alexei entered looking unhappy and glum due to today morning's incidents. When he looked towards the food lying untouched on the table he frowned.

"Why are you not eating?" Alexei asked while removing the lids of dishes placed on the table. "The food looks palatable. And if I am not wrong, the fragrance indicates that Jennifer had cooked everything herself."

Valerie just shrugged and replied "I am not that hungry. Besides I want this pack free of Mystic Moon."

Alexei took a morsel of lime cake and put it in his mouth and moaned in bliss. "At least try this cake. Your mother's food is the only reason I miss being a human. It is really good." Valerie smiled at his antics and walked towards where he was standing. "I will eat everything placed on this plate. I never knew mother had prepared the food, else.."
Before she could complete her sentence, somebody knocked. Valerie knew who it was and asked the person outside the door to enter. Dominic entered and bowed in front of her. He was about to say something but stopped suddenly when he saw the mark on the Valerie's neck given by Cayden. He was staring at it for a long time unintentionally making Valerie uncomfortable.

Jason sensed his alpha's discomfort and cleared his throat to distract Dominic. Dominic looked towards Jason and then towards his alpha and regretted staring for a while.

"I am sorry alpha, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I just came here to inform you that every pack official and member of Mystic Moon has left except alpha Cayden. He insisted to have a conversation with you before leaving."

At the mention of Cayden's name Valerie growled. "I warned him that I will kill any person of Mystic Moon present after midnight. He did not heed my warning. Arrest him and put him behind the bars. I will speak to him in the morning."

"Valerie." Alexei spoke. "I know you are angry, but I don't think so this is the right thing to do at this time. His pack members may react aggressively."

Valerie scoffed. "He should be happy that I am not killing him as I ordered. And I controlled my pack members when they were in rage ready to revenge me. He deceived me by marking me without my permission."

Alexei sighed. He opened his mouth to say something but Dmitri entered without prior notice. Valerie looked towards him and got enraged.

"What is he doing here?" She snarled.

Dmitri sighed and said. "Valerie, I am not going to apologies for the thing which I know is correct. This whole mate thing was getting dragged. Cayden was doing something stupid to get your attention. On the other hand you were not able to decide how to accept him. You were both hurting each other. This morning you both crossed your lines when you both challenged each other."

"He challenged me." Valerie yelled in anger.

"I know." Dmitri sighed. "But you made the simple challenge of power into life and death situation, Valerie."

"What did you expect from me? An alpha challenged me for my position. I can't just stand there and do nothing. But what you did was pure deception. You happened to be my friend, my mentor. But you helped him to mark me without my consent."

Dmitri moved from where he was standing and came directly in front of Valerie and said. "Would you have allowed him to mark you?"

"Never." She retorted back.

"See." He replied. "That is what I am saying."

Valerie turned her back towards Dmitri and said. "I want you to leave my office right now before I do or say something which may ruin our relationship further."

Dmitri opened his mouth to say something but then decided against it. He sighed then looked towards Alexei who just shrugged and then towards Jason who was looking unimpressed towards him. He knew that at present moment the members of Stalwart Warrior pack were against him. They were not causing any harm to him due to his friendship with their alpha. Not that he was afraid because he was a five centuries old very powerful vampire. He once again looked towards Valerie but when he didn't get any reaction from her, he turned and left.

"Call Cayden, I will listen to what he has to say for one last time before banishing him." Valerie ordered no one in particular once Dmitri left and Dominic left to bring the mentioned alpha.

Cayden was pacing restlessly outside the pack house. Dmitri had assured him that he will talk to Valerie and will try to reason with her. But when he saw Dmitri exiting the pack house disappointed, Cayden was left with no hope. His trials to win Valerie's heart had gone down the drain after today's incident. He saw Dominic coming outside of the pack house towards him, so he straightened his spine to show his dominance.

"Alpha wants to meet you." Dominic said while standing in front of him. Cayden nodded and started walking followed by Dominic.

Valerie was standing behind the desk, crossing her arms when Dominic and Cayden arrived. She neither acknowledged nor greeted him and just ordered him to speak. Cayden did not like it a bit. He was an alpha himself and getting an order was not sitting well with his beast. Yet he calmed himself.

"Valerie, look what happened today was no one's fault."

"I don't want to hear anything regarding morning's incident. I just want to know what you are doing on my pack land after my orders." Valerie asked.

"I can't just leave like this without clearing the air." Cayden replied.

"I don't want to clear anything. Either leave my land now or you will be arrested. Choice is yours."

"Valerie." He sighed frustrated. He took a step towards her but she stopped him with the gestures of her hands.

"Leave now or you will be responsible for the consequences." Valerie replied.

Cayden opened his mouth to say something but then closed it. He looked deeply in Valerie's eyes for any sign of compassion but found none. He understood that for now he has lost the battle. So, he sighed in disappointment and left.

Valerie sagged in relief once he left because the pull of mate bond was getting stronger in his vicinity forcing her to make some sort of physical contact with him.

"Make sure our borders are properly protected from Mystic Moon as well as from the hunters. I need atleast one peaceful day."

Both Dominic and Jason nodded and left closing the door behind them. She sighed and sat on the chair when once again someone knocked at the door and Kevin entered. He saw his sister sitting there looking tired and troublesome.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

She laughed sarcastically and said. "Define alright for me. Will you?"

Kevin sighed. "I know the situation is not going according to you but at least be hopeful for a brighter future."

Valerie scoffed and was about to reply when Jason re- enter the office and gave her the news which she wanted to hear.

"Our trackers are back." He said.

Valerie was up in a second. "Lead the way." She ordered and left the office with Kevin and Jason.

An early update because I am back.

The updates will be regular now.

Updates on every Saturday.

Keep reading. Voting and commenting.