Love Lost - Chuck Shurley

Context: Before the reader found out who Chuck really was, they dated. Now that he's back again, old feelings still remain. Inspired by the song "Love Lost" by The Temper Trap

Word Count: 1149
Warnings: Season 11 Spoilers if you haven't seen it yet

The last time you saw Chuck, before he completely disappeared, you two were together. Romantically speaking. You just about fell head over heels for the guy and so did he for you...or so you thought. After the whole apocalypse nonsense and him disappearing, it took you a long time to recover. And Dean going off to live a normal apple pie life while Sam was stuck with Lucifer didn't seem to help one bit.

Slowly over time though, you started to hunt again, getting your mind off a lost love. You even started dating, though things never went beyond a first date. But to your demise, just when you thought you finally moved on, there 'Chuck' was, or whatever he called himself, in the flesh.

Sam and Dean brought Chuck to the bunker, along with Lucifer to discuss how to deal with the whole Amara situation. While the four continued to argue, you stood there, still in shock after finding out your ex was actually God.

"(Y/N)."

What did that mean though? Were you like a step mother to the angels? Why did he not tell you sooner? All these questions ran through your head like a freight train.

"(Y/N)!"

You finally snapped back to reality, looking back at Sam who was calling for your attention. "You okay?" He asked.

"Am I okay?" You repeated his question slowly, glancing around at the others in the room. Were you the only sane one in this room? None of this was okay! "I'm fine, Sam. I'm just great. The devil's stuck in our best friend's body and my dead ex boyfriend is actually alive and wait there's more- he's freaking God!"

Chuck spoke softly, trying to reason with you."(Y/N), I understand this is a lot to adjust to-"

"Shut up Chuck...or God or whatever the hell your name is!" You snapped, "You were gone for almost five years. You made me think you were dead and what's worse is that you lied to me about everything. Heck, you probably never even cared about me to begin with."

"(Y/N), of course I care about you. You're one of my greatest creations," Chuck said reaching his hand out to touch your cheek.

You quickly shoved his hand away, turning to leave. "(Y/N) wait," Chuck pleaded.

You didn't answer and just headed down the hall into your room, locking the door behind you.

~Time Skip brought to you by GHOST! GHOST FACERS!~

You were reading (your favorite book) when there was a light knock on the door. "Go away!" You yelled out, not moving your focus away from the book. It was just getting to your favorite part.

Without warning, Lucifer appeared in front of your bed. "What the hell man?!?" You dropped your book, pulling out the knife you kept concealed under your pillow.

"Hey I tried to be polite and knock," Lucifer said, "And that little dagger won't do anything, sweetheart."

You sighed and lowered your knife, knowing he was right. "What do you want?" You asked bitterly, crossing your arms with disinterest.

"My dad and I still aren't on good terms but if we're going to fight my aunt, we all need to be. That includes you," Lucifer explained, "Look, I know my dad can be a pain and he has a tendency to just desert people out of no where, but if I know anything about him, it's that he cares about his puny humans more than anything. Especially you."

"He lied to me."

Lucifer rolled his eyes. "He lied to everyone, get over it. I'm not saying he shouldn't obviously apologize, I'm just saying you should give him a chance."

You shook your head, "I don't know if I can. He hurt me."

"You know who else he hurt who he deserted for a millennium? All my other siblings and I, his supposed pride and joy. It's just who he is. Now you can mope around and continue feeling sorry for yourself, or you can suck it up and move past your issues so we can get rid of Amara."

Even though you didn't want to admit it, Lucifer had a point. You couldn't believe you were actually listening to the devil, but he was right. As much as you wanted to dwell on the past, that was over. And a part of you deep down still cared about Chuck, no matter how bad he hurt you.

~Time Skip brought to you by infinite feels~

"Hey...can we talk?" You finally made up your mind and decided to take Lucifer's advice. But before you were planning on forgiving anybody, you needed answers from the former "dead" man himself.

Chuck was in the library alone, skimming through a book though his mind was else where. When he heard your voice, he put down his book in seconds. "Of course," he smiled.

You nodded and took a seat beside him, leaving yourself an arm's width apart. Chuck took off his glasses, setting them aside as he gazed into your eyes. "What is it you want to talk about?" Chuck asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"Right, that," you said, fiddling your hands nervously as you spoke. "I just have to ask...why'd you leave?"

Chuck sighed, dreading the question within itself. He knew he would have to answer to you at some point, but he also knew you wouldn't be satisfied with his answer. "Tensions were growing between Lucifer and Michael. I knew the only way for me to help was to stay out of it."

"What makes you so sure that was the best solution? Because as I recall, Sam Winchester had to pay the price for your family's problems," you interjected.

"I needed to stay on the sidelines."

You sighed in frustration, unconvinced by his response. "Chuck, for once can you just be honest with me? What's the real reason?"

"That is the real reason...well part of it at least," Chuck's words were hanging off hesitantly. "Look, I was starting to realize how close we were getting and I got scared. Everyone's aware that I love all my humans, but that's fatherly. You... I hold a different kind of love for you."

Your lips parted in disbelief. You shook your head, "That can't be true. I mean, you dated Becky before me."

"That was all a front, you know that," he assured. "You were different. What happened between us was real, (Y/N)."

"But I don't..." you couldn't believe what he was saying.

"The infamous (Y/N), the first one to truly steal my heart," Chuck smiled, reaching his hand up to caress your cheek, "I never really felt human till I met you. And that's what frightened me most."

"Are you still scared?" You finally managed to utter a complete question.

"Terrified," he laughed, "But I'm hoping I can make things right with you and maybe you can help me overcome that fear."